PDA

View Full Version : Oil Fire video

AllBusiness
03-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks to SKB20 for providing the video and DD for sending it to me.
I have first "hand" experience with this and it's not fun...2nd and 3rd degree on my right hand when I was around 12/13 years old. I tried to move the pan.
Check it out and be safe when cooking guys!

http://s145.photobucket.com/player.swf?refURL=/&file=http://vid145.photobucket.com/albums/r218/Allbusiness_photos/AKitchenOilFire.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

DUCKDIGGLER
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Thats AB for posting it up!

Joe....kudos bud....excellent info there! I thank you. DD

skb20
03-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Ahh, had about forgotten about that thing. Actually, I have had TWO little
adventures with grease fires (slow learner?? :CF:) First time (as 10 or 12 year old kid), I threw water on it!! Burned myself a bit, and almost took out the family kitchen. Second time, much later, a friend briefly forgot about a nearly full pot of "fondue" oil on the stove. Started trying to carry it out side, with flaming oil falling to the floor (and burning his hand badly). Had him set that one on the floor, and laid a small rug over it -- end of fire - pronto.

Anyway - that link does not work for me, does it work for others??

Sentinel
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Link worked for me.

skb20
03-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Link worked for me.

OK, thats great! Just another case of me getting my gills tangled up in the internet!! :hs:

chcltlabz
03-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Had a similar experience myself deep frying a turkey. Overfilled the fry pot, and when it started to boil, it boiled over onto the flames. Luckily, it pretty much put itself out, but made one heck of a mess. I always keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Cheap insurance against that kind of thing.

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
That right there is why I only use my "turkey fryer" to boil lobsters and corn. I love deep fried turkey, but I am a big scaredy-cat about having 2+ gallons of hot oil anywhere near me, my wife, my kid, my house, my guests, my patio, etc.:MS:

BlueDevil
03-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting up! I'll be sure to send that link to family/friends that do a lot of cooking as a precautionary heads up!

Cut-um
03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
There's a video floating on the web about frying turkeys and what can happen if you don't do it correctly. A scary video to say the least but it could save some lives and homes if it were mandatory viewing before buying one...:hest:

Flag'emdown
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Damn right, that is some scary stuff. Never seen a grease fire first hand, but I second the feeling of caution when you have gallons of hot grease around. Tried frying fish without a shirt on once and learned my lesson of what hot grease can do...

chcltlabz
03-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Damn right, that is some scary stuff. Never seen a grease fire first hand, but I second the feeling of caution when you have gallons of hot grease around. Tried frying fish without a shirt on once and learned my lesson of what hot grease can do...

That's some straight red-neck stuff right there:rof:

I got an electric deep fryer/steamer this year. No more flames for me.