PDA

View Full Version : pet loads for .243?

Justin
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
ANyone have some good loads for their .243 in either a 55 gr, or a 58 grain bullet? rather than starting from scratch with the loading manual, figured there'd be someone out there with a load.

I'm looking to scale back the velocity from ~3,900 fps factory ammo into something a little quieter, slower and lighter... something for the times I don't need the extra power.

Thanks,

Justin

GANDER D. BANDER
03-21-2008, 05:26 AM
You probably know this but it is best to start from starting loads on any rifle. My pet loads may be too much for your rifle and vise versa. I would recommend you work towards accuracy and not speed. I find on most of my rifles 1 grain above starting is about right. They can't tell 200 fps diffrence but they can tell a group thats the size of a dime. GOOD LUCK!!

Justin
03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
yeah, I'm trying to go for accuracy and not speed. I don't need the extra fps, and would rather be shooting dimes like you mention. I have a lot of data on the starting loads or loads from the various manuals and I'll start tinkering with them to see if I can squeze out a couple goodies. Will probably end up weighing and separating cases, measuring primer pockets, etc... since I tend towards obsessive compulsive when it comes to accuracy.

GANDER D. BANDER
03-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I personally find my best loads are 1 gr above starting loads. I have burned alot of powder trying diffrent loads in my rifles over the years. Generally thats where it all goes back too. With the price of supplies anymore, I usually start there and if it shoots well, I don't mess with it. I load up a bunch so I got them and move on. Seems like the more powder I dump in the worse the groups get. Plus I tend to think the rifle will appreciate you running moderate loads thru it. In hopes it repays me with a lifetime of service. Let us know how it goes!!