PDA

View Full Version : After a successful hunt Q

gooseaholic
03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
What do you guys do with the pelts/animals after a successful hunt.

I've been toying with the idea of predator hunting at my friend's farm in SC. I don't have a clue what to do with the things.

2labs
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Skin them and have them tanned, or if they are prime sell the skins!

kirsch
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I am kidding, as I have never heard of anyone eating a coyote. Good question.

If you can easily pull fur out of the animal, there really isn't anything to do with it because the fur is not prime and of no value.

If the pelt is prime, the most common thing is to try to find a fur buyer and sell it in the carcass. Prices in my area this year ranged from $0 - 26$ with most coyotes falling in the $15 range. It all depends on the quality of fur and bullet damage. If this isn't an option, you can try to find someone to simply process the coyote or do this yourself. There are lots of articles on the web, books, and videos on skinning, fleshing, stretching, drying, and tanning. Tanning is one area that it seems most people have done elsewhere. Here are some contacts for having furs tanned. http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/tanning.php

Once you have a tanned pelt (s), it can be used for a decoration, used to make boots, hats, gloves, coats, etc. To have something made you would need to find someone that actually makes these types of garments because sewing fur is different than sewing fabric. I have attached a link to a place where I had a full-length fox coat made for my wife, coyote tea-length coat made for my mother-in law and a coyote hat made for my father-in-law. http://www.peterpaulfur.com/. Fur prices were really bad for a few years so I decided not to sell any and have some family heirlooms made.

The Baron of Bufflehead
03-26-2008, 05:18 PM
I had the same question. I ended up dumping the first 4 coyotes I shot, and I regret that now. I had some mental block in my head like skinning a coyote was a major undertaking. I did the last one I shot and it was not that hard at all. I know I can do the second one better, but I think I did a good job on the one I did. I did it 2 days' cold, and I am told they are way easier when warm so now I carry a short piece of rope to hang them, a knife and a bag for the hide. I'll do my next one in the field. I sent this one to be tanned (about $125) so I can hang it on my wall. I want to get a few done for myself, in the varying color phases. After that, I will case skin the dog's I shoot (if the fur is good) and give them to a local trapper who can sell them. Until the price goes up beyond the $10 or $15 it's at now, I can't be bothered fleshing and stretching them myself. I have no tools or place to do that, anyway.

Here's the one I did... she was a nice silver/grey 33lb female. Most around here are medium to dark brown with a fair number of reddish ones. Nice silver/grey ones are a little harder to come by, from what little I've seen.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/08-3-1002.jpg

GANDER D. BANDER
03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Ditch 'em... Wish they were worth selling.

kirsch
03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Ask around your local major sporting goods or outdoor stores if there are any older trappers or fur hunters in your area. If you get a contact person, they will know if there are any buyers or skinners around.

The last batch of coyotes that I had processed versus selling ended up being $10 for each to be skinned, fleshed, stretched, and dried and then I sent them to a tannery in New York, and they were tanned for around $15 each. So I had $25 of expense into each one. Then I sold them at local guiding services, and art faires for $60-$80. These were super white, heavy fured coyotes. There probably isn't a market for tons but if you can find a similar set up, $25 is a nice option to even give away as gifts. These prices were in 2005 so a lot may have changed. Baron's number would give me sticker shot and I would leave them lay for that amount.

salthunter
03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
I have used these guys for tanning in the past, prices and quality were very good

Ive always thought of making one of those coyote bed throws
http://www.usafoxx.com/fur-tan-mfg.htm

gooseaholic
04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for all the information. I'm assuming it's a winter thing due to better pelts?

salthunter
04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Pelts in the northern satate have commercial value starting the end of September. Many pelts from canines will be good through March,.. and tanning quality til Mid April
Water animals even a few weeks longer