PDA

View Full Version : Interesting story about coyotes

Preemie Peppie
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Not sure if this link will work or not...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/officials-probe-coyote-attacks-on/20080512085909990001

Really interesting story. I've tried to tell my non-hunting friends why keeping the numbers of coyotes down is important....so people just don't get it. I've heard so many people say..."But that's like shooting a dog!" ... but if it were their 2 year old being attacked, well, what would they say then?:CZ: :CF:

bigredguy42
05-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Saw the same report on the CBS evening News. Not to change your post but do a search about (Seals shot in Oregon ) What a bunch of BS. I am really starting to hate the OHS.

Road Runner
05-13-2008, 04:22 PM
People dont have a clue. If it was their kid that was bitten they would want to exterminate ever yote in north america

Cut-um
05-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Go figure a wounded limping Yote would go after a small child or pet in an urban eviornment...:hest: Maybe the liberals of S.F. and L.A. should take these poor dogs into their homes and train them to fit into society.:ST: Oh no, that wouldn't do, they have no clue and would rather leave their homes and give it back to the Yotes because of the PETA folks...:rf: :rof: :rf:

Justin
05-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I feel for the kids involved, but as a society, if we're so fricking stupid to believe this was not an eventuality, I say good for the yotes. they'd doing what they need to do to survive.

Hopefully, stupid people will be the only ones eaten.

HighLooker
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
It amazes me that people can look at these animals, talk about how adaptable they are and then wonder why they are trying to attack children.
The part that makes me sick is the animal control people acting puzzled! Coyotes are not stupid, they exploit any food source they can. They attack toddlers and pets because they are smaller and they can eat them, it's not rocket science. They are not stray dogs looking for a good place to live they're WILD animals.
If it happened to me...well a concealed carry liscense is good for something right?

bigredguy42
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Tell you just how smart these Dogs are. I was watching a pack i have at the house and they had made friends with a smaller dog( Yes friends) They would chase each other then stop and lay down next to each other and rest. Two days later mowing the back forty Guess what i ran over with the mower. Thats right what was left of that little white dog.

Cut-um
05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Funny how a little fun and games can work up an appetite.:NW: Time to give a little payback Art and thin the herd...:hest:

Justin
05-28-2008, 07:42 PM
It's very common around our parts to see coyotes lure dogs out to "play." the ones tha come back rarely make the same mistake twice.

I respect coyotes a lot. they are wary, adaptable, and cunning. They've got the best of me numerous times and have provided a lot of enjoyment, but to think of them as harmless little "mousers" is a stupid and (now all too common) mistake.

Cut-um
05-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Very true Justin, kill the bastards...:TT:

Flocknocker
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
One thing I hate is folks who don't have the problems making the rules for those of us who do. I think it would be great if a few thousand trapped yotes were turned out in some of these Liberal area for them to share in on some of the wealth these yotes bring to your back yard.

Tell ya what if the stupid media would just send out one of their flunkies out in the country and ask the folks if they have had problems I am sure they would find 95% have lost animals to these kind little mousers.

A few yotes is good for the eco system like everything else. We have so many right now and with the mange they are not even worth trapping.

Yotes are a wonderful at killing and hiding it's what mother nature made em for. Humans are the blame when they won't control the eco system to be a healthy place. So mother nature has to step in with mange and kill and starve the excess. Let me tell ya that's has to be one slow and painful death. In my opinion the yotes deserve a better death than that!!!

Remember the yote that was runnin around New York or some big city, hell they spent about a million dollars to find and catch that killer. Poor thing, and they get pissed we shoot a few. How man kind can go from a meat eating killer to Metro-sexual in a few hundred years gives me little hope for the future of man kind.

Friggin bunny huggers, well maybe the gang bangers will thin em out??

Cliff

HighLooker
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
The correct thing to do would be make the coyote's feel more a home. They must be attacking children and pets because of some puppyhood trauma. Maybe mother coyote was hit by a car, it's probably just a case of mis-directed anger....poor little cute coyote.
Dang I should write a movie for Disn3y!!
Next they will want to dart them with some birth control drug so they don't "overpopulate"!

Justin
06-04-2008, 06:25 PM
there's an organization in the country somewhere that catches feral cats, spays or neuters them and then turns them back out to live out the rest of their happy lives killing songbirds and gamebirds. No joke! Check it out!

"Alley Cat Allies, is the national nonprofit clearinghouse for information on feral and stray cats. For more than a decade Alley Cat Allies has advocated Trap-Neuter-Return - the most humane and effective method to reduce feral cat populations."

Someone's got a couple screws loose!

DrBob
06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I used to shoot feral cats when I was a kid - they are fun and a formidable adversary... Only got a few for the amount of time I spent trying - most often they got the best of me!

salthunter
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
It's very common around our parts to see coyotes lure dogs out to "play." the ones tha come back rarely make the same mistake twice.

I respect coyotes a lot. they are wary, adaptable, and cunning. They've got the best of me numerous times and have provided a lot of enjoyment, but to think of them as harmless little "mousers" is a stupid and (now all too common) mistake.
Im quite entertained by coyotes. Coming from Minnesota where we didnt have any ( they do now) .
A "pack" were really being a pain to some bowhunters on their lease,.l They got me permission on the lease I caught a couple monsters 45LB each. Not those iddy bitty guys I trapped the S. Dakota Wyoming or Nebraska.
I mostly trap for kicks now
Last year I was "following" a coyote" in the neighbors field while runnig my dog. I kept going and parked in a fence line.,.. And that single coyote came after my lab,. and got with-in60 yards before it spotted me again and split.
While living in Vancouver Washington I use to chum them for kicks with beaver and bobcat carcasses,.. Smart and sneaky. Found a feeding bed just 40 yards out my front door in a hazelnut grove, littered with kitty collars and a doggie sweater.
I had some that kept challanging my dog, less than 100 feet from my back door,..
Here is a pic of one of themhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Salthunter/DSCN0030Small.jpg
I still chum them in the pasture,.. need to get rid of the goose carcasses anyway. Three years back they ate up 125 geese and 80 duck carcasses along with the help of magpies, owls hawks,..straycats seem to trun into bait too if they dont have a collar
The day of that coyote and the next one,.. my 17 yearold daughter came down from her bedroom,..just sort of matter of fact,. " You have a coyote in the pasture"
I reallyy do enjoy them,.. Some evening I sing back to them,.. some days I try to sneak ion them in the wheat
Another time a pair were messig with some rooster pheasent,.. I watched them for a few minutes,,, and thought,,.. I want to kill one from my front porch,.. They knew I was watching the whole time,..as soon as I chambered a round they were gone

jeffk
06-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Salthunter:

I do not remember, Was it O'Gorman or Tom Krause that stated"The Indians use to have a saying," The two smartest animals on earth are the coyote and crow and when all else is gone the coyote was survive on the crow's feathers." They are smart!!! Miss messing with them on the fox trapline but hated them for killing my live fox in traps when I had a live market on the red fox. They used to cost me a good dollar.

Been busy, still have to get you the pictures of the FFD hardcores I did.
Also I just traded for some very old Flambeau floaters and FFD'ed the tops of them and then airbrushed them. They look real good for 25 years old.
A budy of mine looked at them and said "WOW! Those will look great on the water."

Later

Jeff

salthunter
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Im not sure,.. sounds more like O'Gorman, but he wasnt big on public speaking.,,...

Ive mostly worked easy coyotes, where I trapped in Wyoming,SD and Nebraska they were easy,.. When lived in Washinton the Mt coyotes were hard to keep out of cat sets,.. and did they ever stink,... yeoweee.

I ve always liked what Ardell Grawe said,.. I think he had the statement in print once.
Nothings tougher than a trap shy beaver,.. I thought he was crazy I thought all beaver were dumb,...untill I got into some wised colonys,.., they wouldnt go near a conibear,..any scent just kept them away,ended up snaring them.
Looking forward to the pics.
I sold the last of my flambous 4 years ago, I had made some neck cuts, flocked heads and tails and repaints, they held paint well and did look good