PDA

View Full Version : Kansas town trying to deal with Coyote problem.

h20fow1
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Found this article about a town here in Eastern Kansas. Since half of the people are "opposed to trapping the coyotes and euthanizing them", maybe they should just try reasoning with them. Ask them to leave poor snuckums alone. I'm sure the coyotes will understand.

http://cjonline.com/stories/051908/bre_coyote.shtml

LEAWOOD Leawood is looking for a way to curb coyote attacks on pets.

The Leawood City Council tonight is expected to consider what to do about coyotes that attack dogs and cats. City officials have recommended allowing homeowner associations to hire a professional to trap the coyotes.

Since October, the city has received reports of coyote attacks on nine dogs. The Kansas City Star reports that seven of those attacks were fatal.

More than a dozen residents took the issue to city council members in April. City administrator Scott Lambers said about half of those were opposed to trapping the coyotes and euthanizing them. The other half felt it was a necessary solution to stop the attacks.

The Baron of Bufflehead
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Gotta love the Citiots... upset about the attacks, but are against curbing the coyote population. That's fine though, because doing nothing will be effective and the number of attacks will start to fall off naturally... they'll run out of pets eventually.:rf: I'd rather see a coyote on my lawn than a neighbors cat anyway.

bigredguy42
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Run em over with a Truck :OM:

Justin
05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I agree about the cats. need to introduce MORE yotes to control the feral cats. Then, Maybe shoot 2-3 dozen cats and then use them to bait the coyotes in order to shoot the coyotes to stop them from eating more cats.

then repeat...

That's a "vicious circle" I could really throw my support behind. alternate days of hunting feral cats and yotes. Variety is the spice of life.

The Baron of Bufflehead
05-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Run em over with a Truck :OM:

:rof: I did get your message on that Art, I just forgot to reply! I liked your story though.:HP:

h20fow1
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
It was many years ago, and I overheard a gentleman talking about some deer that were eating his tree saplings. He had tried all kinds of tricks, and just could not get rid of them. I offered my services of helping to thin the heard (there were 2 does) and eliminate his problem.

You would of thought I offered to shoot one of his children. "I don't want them dead!" he yelled. "I just want them to leave my trees alone.

I told him it sounded like he was going to have a bigger problem than I could handle, personal feelings towards a nuisance. These people in Leawood have the same problem.

"Citiots" - I love it!

bigredguy42
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Good answer Justin :TT:

salthunter
05-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Most depredation problems are really people problems.
Dont let yours cats run loose, put your dog in ( along with its food)
I was on a planning commission for years, a large part of our time was wasted on cats and dogs, owners just were not responsible.
Funny story. While living near Vancouver Washington , always lost cat and dog signs, I found the coyotes lair,.. just feet off my acrage,.. 3 housecat collars and a dog collar a doggie sweater.
When I got my little 9 1/2 lb terrier mix , my trapline dog,. back from my mom. with-in the week my dog had been worked over by the coyotes,.. she never left the yard without me or went potty beyound the night light, she was a smart dog and a fast learner

BlueDevil
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I use frag grenades that does the job, LOL! :TT:

bigredguy42
05-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Mowed the back forty this weekend and noticed a few bunnies taking a nap. Funny thing is they didnt have any meat on them. Also noticed a small dog the same way. You should hear the dogs Yelp when the fire truck comes racing by sounds like 1/2 a dz hanging around.

Bardern
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Sounds like the coyote problems south of Ottawa last winter. That kind of went away I wonder what happened?