PDA

View Full Version : Summer dogs

Bardern
05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Do any of you Guys chase coyotes in the summer. I have been contacted by a local sheep rancher that has coyote issues and would like them taken care of. What do I do differantly in the Summer than the winter if anything? Cottontail calls? Howlers? Pup yips?

I would like to use my turkey setup but I will have to check with the MNR to find out what regulations there are. I would like to use the dekes to lure them into range. I shot two more otes this spring over my turkey spread, one was a huge dog that was close to 60 pds. I would post photos but I am a technological idiot!

The Baron of Bufflehead
05-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I am thinking about trying in the summer, using my flintlock and a patched round ball. I figger a .60" / 310 grain lead ball outta dump a coyote. :HP:

I am planing on trying around hay fields when they have just been cut, and using rodent sounds. The dogs should be there chasing mice right after the hay is cut. I don't have a lamb in distress sound, but I'd bet it would be killer for your intended loation. Later in the year, after the pups have been born (June-ish?) I assume puppy whines will be deadly!

Hey Barry... feel free to e-mail me pics again and I'll get 'em up fer ya'!:TT: And if you need a hired gun... have FoxPro, will travel...:hest:

Justin
05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
I shy away from hunting them until the pups can respond more or less like grownups. I had to disptach a whole den of pups one time because I got mama and she made it back to the den. I'll shoot yotes all day long, but can't handle having to shoot pups. made me sick to my stomach so I'll wait til later summer.

Like Baron said, I have a farmer around me that swears they follow the hay mower cleaning up the mice and birds and stuff that either go through the mover or a baler. probably how I'll spend a few weekends this summer and early fall. last season out of my first 4 stands, we called at least one in on each stand. never had that kind of luck later in the year. As long as you aren't hunting for pelts, there's no downside.

Around me, early is the time to hunt, I'm convinced of that. public areas havent been hammered nor have they been shot at by every deer hunter that comes across them by accident.

Definitely a good idea and a way to get over the midsummer blues.

GANDER D. BANDER
05-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Nope let them raise em up. Then wear their arse out after the first of September. :TT:

Bardern
05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
I realize the pups will suffer but stockman is losing lots of lambs and asked me as a favour. He has done the llama and donkey thing to no success. The damn things are coming right up to the barn at night. He is worried about the family pets as well.

stay tuned Rob!

bigredguy42
05-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Take em out Rob :TT: :TT:

Justin
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I only do what I suggested becasue I want MORE yotes. if they are causing a problem, bay all means start taking them out. All a matter of managing the population, which requires different actions in different situations (something the antis and bunnyhuggers can't comprehend)

kirsch
07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Sorry for the long post, but I can't answer this question in a few sentences. I like most of the others don't hunt Summer coyotes. However, if I was trying to help with this ranching problem, here is what I would do:

1) If you are having issues with sheep, find out from that rancher when he sees the coyotes or hears them. What direction are they coming from, when, and what direction does he hear them howl at nights and mornings. Where do the kills occur, etc.

2) If you know the time or even if not, I would set up in a near vacinity of the sheep ranch where the coyote is most like to approach of course factoring in wind, vantage point, etc.

3) Studies have been done and typically only the dominant male coyote will take sheep. This is the main dog you are after if you are truly trying to help the sheep herd. To get him, I would use a couple of things. First if you have some type of lamb in distress, this would be my first choice. Second, I would try some male coyote vocalizations. You aren't targeting a young coyote here so don't be afraid to get aggressive with your calling. I would start with some type of medium age coyote greeting/interogation type howl, and then do my lamb in distress. If that doesn't work, I would switch to an older aggressive challenge howl while letting the lamb in distress work. If you don't have lamb in distress, my 2nd choice for prey would be fawn-in-distress. There are lots of fawns this time of the year that are very young and weak. If you don't have either, you could use bird, cottentail, jack rabbit, cat, dog, or any animal they may prey upon as well.

4) If you are after the entire alpha pair, I would put some pup in distress on as the pups are getting a bit bigger now and this might bring in both parents. If I was trying to get both, I would use pup in distress and probably a female howl. The reason being is a female coyote will rarely if ever chase away a male intruder but the alpha male or female will chase away a female intruder. By sticking to female, you may get either or both. If you happen to get the female first, then I would switch to the traditional Ki-Yi's and try to get the male who by now should be getting pretty mad.

Baron's comments and many others are very good and probably will result in killing a coyote. What I worry is it may not necessarily fix this problem. The last thing you want to do is go in and shoot 1 or 2 coyotes and show them to the rancher and then have his killing get worse because of the coyotes you harvested. You may say that doesn't make sense but it does.

If you harvest some of the beta (not alpha male or female) members of the coyote pack, those coyotes were helping to feed the pack especially the alpha pair puppies. Without this supporting food, the alpha has to hunt even harder and is even more likely to kill sheep to support the pack without the help of the other members as they will need lots of food. If you want to slow down the sheep killing, you need to get the ALPHA MALE. The killing should end unless the Alpha Female starts up (not as likely especially if the rest of the pack is in tact) or another ALPHA MALE takes over the pack and begins killing sheep but odds of the killing starting back up after the alpha male is gone go down very quickly and is your best option.

1) If you kill the alpha male, good chance the pack will sustain, and the puppies will survive and the sheep killing will slow down and should end.

2) If you kill the alpha male and alpha female at this time of the year, your problem should absolutely be gone and the puppies will starve. Just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

3) If you kill a non-alpha coyote, the sheep killing will either stay the same or could increase as the alpha is hunting more and looking for more and easier food.

Just my .02. Just some information to try and help this specific situation.

kirsch
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
What I included in my prior response was information I have either read, or figured out on my own. After writing this I did some web surfing and found this read. Good read with a lot of similar information.
link (http://www.sheepusa.org/index.phtml?page=site/news_details&nav_id=e96a2d415004712ff8eacbb3d8de9453):