PDA

View Full Version : Foxpro users

BlueDevil
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Was thinking of picking one up, any information would be greatly appreciated! Kinda curious about the Scorpion X1-A.

Baron, you use one right?

Thanks!:TT:

Road Runner
07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I run a Scorpion and have been happy with it. That being said Im not sure I could recommend one for you. You are hunting wide open places arnt you? The Scorpion is a nice compact unit but it is lacking in volume. For my area it is OK but I have had days that I wish I had a louder model like the FX5. It depends on your situation. Wide open places or spots that get a lot of wind would be better off with a louder model.
Word of advice if you order from Foxpro make sure they ship post NOT UPS cuse if they ship UPS it will hurt your pocket book. Hope that helps

The Baron of Bufflehead
07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I have an FX-3 (32 sound memory). Same same unit as the FX-5 in terms of size and sound quality, but the FX-5 has the nicer remote system and holds 200 sounds. I've seen RR's Scorpion and it is a damned sweet little unit - not much bigger than the average wallet. Huge sound library (200, I think) plus the nicer remote. It's compact size is fantastic and I think it is a perfect little unit for all the prey sounds here in the wooded east. Not quite loud enough for the coyote vocalizations, and as RR eluded to it might not be loud enough to reach out across the open prairie - especially on a windy day. I have found that 32 sounds is more than enough for me, so I have been very happy with my FX-3.

UPS's cross-border "brokerage fee" is highway robbery!

BlueDevil
07-09-2008, 07:07 AM
RR,

I willl be hunting the mountain regions of Sask! :rof: Yup, it will be open prairie/pasture is where I will be setting up as I won't have to go too far out of town to a friend's farm to do most of my coyote hunting. Thanks for the input if volume is the limiting factor I would rather spend the extra $$$ and get the FX5. Any idea on the range of the remote? just curious, I didn't seem to see it on their website.

Baron,

I like the idea of being able to add additional external speakers as I saw they offer Snow Goose sounds (and multiple big game species) as well and that may be something I might use in the spring season. I totally understand about the UPS Brokerage/Pillage Fee, I'm thinking I may just either get it on eBay or possibly send it to my cousin that lives in the States and just get her to bring it back for me. :MS: Thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely go for the FX5.

The Baron of Bufflehead
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I bought mine from a dealer in Alberta. I'll PM you his contact info.

Yes... I forgot about the external speaker/snow goose options with the FX series. I can see how you could certainly use that feature!

For my FX3, I have found the range of the remote is about 50 yards max. when I set it on the ground, but if it can be hung even a couple of feet off the ground, I've had no problems out to 100 yards.

BlueDevil
07-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I bought mine from a dealer in Alberta. I'll PM you his contact info.

Yes... I forgot about the external speaker/snow goose options with the FX series. I can see how you could certainly use that feature!

For my FX3, I have found the range of the remote is about 50 yards max. when I set it on the ground, but if it can be hung even a couple of feet off the ground, I've had no problems out to 100 yards.

Got the PM, I sent one back to ya! :TT: I would like to have one electronic caller that I can use for predator/varmint, Snow Goose and my big game (Deer, Moose and hopefully next year get drawn for Elk). I could see myself using it in a lot of my hunting situations. I wonder when they are going to allow electronic calling for Canada Geese here? :rof:

Road Runner
07-11-2008, 10:35 AM
RR,
Any idea on the range of the remote? just curious, I didn't seem to see it on their website.

Im not sure, they claim 700 yards if I remember correctly but I havent tried that yet. Line of sight is the big factor there. If I have time Ill take it out for a trial and let you know.

goose slayer
07-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I got an FX3 fox pro. It works pretty good. When get an extra $200 I will up grade it to the FX5. You get more sounds and more storage space if you want to customize your sounds. The remote itself is in my opion worth it. It will just make things that much easier. Also look into the Mark 2 sounds they sound freaking amazing.

Road Runner
10-28-2008, 07:21 AM
I forgot to get back to you. I tried the foxpro a while ago to see what kind of range the remote has and must say I was impressed. We were a good three hundred yards from the unit through brush and it worked like a charm. I still think the FX5 wold be a good unit for you.

Ruff
10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I have been looking at the FX3 as Cabelas has them for $399.00 right now. What would you guys say are the "Must Have Sounds" loaded into your units?

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I just updated the sounds on my FX-3. Here's what's on it for this season. Alot of the sounds are new to me this year, but I highlighted the sounds I would not want to be without based on my successes last season:

00 Coyote Locator
01 Fem Coy Brk Howls
02 Fem Coyote Howls
03 Coyote Fem Inv
04 Coy Female Inv 2
05 Challenge Howl 2
06 Challenge Howl 3
07 Coy Domain Howl
08 Coy Lonesome Howl
09 Coy Lone Howl
10 Inter Howl
11 Coyote Pup Dist