PDA

View Full Version : so whats better eaten goose or duck??

pagooseman
10-17-2000, 06:59 PM
Well whats your thoughts?? I think duck is better but thats just my feelings.

Canaduck
10-17-2000, 08:17 PM
Up here it's geese by a looooooong shot!

------------------
TAKE'EM!!!

Canaduck

ganderman
10-18-2000, 12:20 AM
Now all of us here encourage any questions, even the dumb ones. This one takes the cake!! hehehe! Of course the answer here is geese!! Its a goose forum silly! I'm just giving you a hard time man, I don't shoot down a whole lot of ducks every year, too small and fast!! Give me a big target inside 40 yards and he is DINNER!! Well, ok , maybe 20 yards. It depends on the duck, fish-eaters are not enjoyed by me but I love a nice fat mallard!

ganderman

Flocknocker
10-18-2000, 08:37 AM
WHO SAID DUCK?????? Hehehe. I throw a pattern after a duck or two myself, in the field of coarse, hehe. I prefer to eat duck but the geese make damn fine sausage for sure.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

CAKES
10-18-2000, 09:18 AM
I have found that if you put a duck or two in a very large pot with some rice and boil it for about 3hrs, my dog will eat the rice!!! http://64.176.94.12/ubb/biggrin.gif

Go4Ducks2
10-18-2000, 05:58 PM
I'll take a duck everytime! Them gooses are pretty strong stuff. I trade geese for deer meat with me buddies. They all have plenty of geese for Christmas and I got plent of deer meat, then I put the 2 together and make some fine sausage and jerky! It don't last long around this house.

------------------
Goose huntin' is the best but I Go4Ducks2 (http://sites.outdoorsite.com/outdoors/go4ducks2)

Skip C
10-18-2000, 06:13 PM
Crock full of goose meat, two cans of beer, one package of Good Harvest Italian Dressing Mix, 1/2 to 1 jars of Pepperonci. Crock pot till done, shred meat with a fork and cook awhile longer. Serve on buns. Dang good, Goose Gizzards thrown in the pot at the same time are even better.

Besides that receipe I'll take duck.

Skip C.

CalifDuckman
10-18-2000, 10:17 PM
Duck....Hands down!

wingfeather
10-19-2000, 06:26 AM
Here is a new twist for geese that's a real winner. Pasties take the geese and cut the breast in small pieces and season to taste.par boil some root veg's carrots,turnup,potato,brown the geese with some onion and add all this together in a pie crust and bake till golden brown. This is some good eats for sure.

------------------
Bob Alfieri, Take a Kid Hunting

Flocknocker
10-19-2000, 06:59 AM
I think we may have to save some of these to share with all. A couple of them sound damn good.

------------------
Flocknocker
"We're All About Geese"

Coho
10-19-2000, 10:00 AM
In Western WA..I'll take snow goose over duck or dark geese. Our snows are very mild tasting. http://64.176.94.12/ubb/smile.gif

Heavy Gougin'
10-19-2000, 02:50 PM
I agree with Cliff, some of these recipes sound damn good and interesting! Sure would be nice if we had a place to posts them all! HINT HINT HINT. Would it be possible to have a recipe or cookbook link like the after the hunt or pawn shop? We traded a few recipes on the northcentral forum for those intereseted!

Heavy Gougin'

Skip C
10-19-2000, 05:17 PM
Another receipe,

Dice goose breast about 1/4 to 3/8", dice onions and green pepper. Saute onion and pepper till they just turn, cover the bottom of skillet with goose meat. Season with cayenne pepper. Generally with the smaller chunks one liberal coating will do. Over do and suffer the results. While you are doing this have two packages of Uncle Bens' Wild Rice and Rice orginal receipe cooking. Slow cook the meat till no more then medium, pour the whole skillet load or however much cooked into the rice and serve. Ain't bad.

Skip C.

Joe
10-20-2000, 05:52 PM
Yea all these reciies do sound good, i think it would be an awsome idea to make some sort of a flocknocker cook book type thing, like a webpage or an accual book that we could send out to all the roost members.
-Joe

sully
10-21-2000, 10:59 AM
This week I breasted out a juvenile snow, marinated the breasts in a peppercorn mix (store bought) and bar b qued the meat to medium rare (over cooking waterfowl can be a mistake).
Even my kids tried it and loved it. It was every bit as good as the steak I cooked for the kids, maybe even better.
I have had similar experiences with brant and speckle belly.
Then comes mallard, teal and pintail and eastern Wa canadas in that order for my opinion. Western Wa canadas are a little stronger tasting in my experience so they rank last except for widgeon which is a far as I will go for eating waterfowl in my area. Now you all have made me hungry so I will have to go blast some dinner tomorrow...sully

Duxrule
10-21-2000, 03:04 PM
Hey, got one of these off the net from somebody, works great. Take goose breast(s) stick them in crock pot for 3-4 hours with water. Pour off the water, tear apart the meat and add some Famous Daves or Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and cook for another hour. Serve on a bun and it ROCKS!!
#2-thinly slice a breast, take slices wrap around water chestnut, wrap that with bacon, & hold together with toothpick. Stick in over til bacon is crisp and eat like mad!!

------------------
Goose hunting-it's not just a job...it's an addiction

Wingshooter
10-21-2000, 06:02 PM
Goose followed by mallards and woodies.

Cut-um
10-22-2000, 10:04 PM
Sully you got the right idea. There's nothing better than a honker or puddle duck on the grill unless of course it's in a gumbo or jambalya. I use "Montreal Steak Seasoning" on mine and cook it on hot coals till medium rare. Just sear it like a steak. Life doesn't get much better or easier...

Ahh eee !!!!

------------------
Call'em till you can grab'em by the feet...