PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Sticks or a bi-pod?

Ruff
07-30-2008, 06:17 PM
What's the best set up for shooting yotes? Sticks or a gun mounted bi-pod? I'm leaning to the bi-pod style because if I have to move to make a shot the Gun and bi-pod is one unit as a whole where the Sticks and gun would require more movment and cordination to complete the move and both hands required to accomplish the feat also. I might have answered my own question but always like to pick the brain of others too.

Ruff

Justin
07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I use sticks mostly, as I do not like the weight and rigidity of a bipod. seems to never be exactly right for the shot.

That said, Stoney point makes a bipod with a flexible rubber neck that attached to the front swivel via a pressure-sensitive snap mechanism that i REALLY like. all of the benefits of a bipod without the drawbacks.

kirsch
07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
It depends on your hunting. If you hunt woods or any tight cover, you don't want to be laying down prone. There are bipods that allow sitting but they get so long and extend so far out the front of your barrel. If you hunt open country as I do, I always want to be laying down and a bipod just works better. The best I have found are versa-pod and believe me I have tried just about all of them. They have two models. One allows for almost total freedom of movement while still providing support and then there is a friction lock model which is my favorite. This allows you to control how much support and swing you want. They attach and release in seconds without tools so even if you want to use them for sitting you can and don't have to keep them on the front. I have the adapter they make on all my rifles and then one prone and one sitting bipod and I can swap them and use them on any rifle.

Here is a link to one of them. Go to Midway use and type in versa-pod and you can see lots of options.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=555514&t=11082005

For me bipods are the way to go but if I hadn't found these and was sitting most of the time, I would have picked shooting sticks.

The Baron of Bufflehead
07-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Bi-pod vs. sticks can be a matter of preference, and as kirsh eluded too can definitely influenced by where/how you hunt. For me, I hunt mostly small fields and hunt from sitting in fence rows/bush line etc. I like my swivel model Harris bi-pod for hunting on bare ground. Last year we had a LOT of snow, and I found that a mono-pod was BY FAR more functional. In the wide open west, you can see a long way, but here in the east a dog can pop out of the brush 90 degrees from you and close, so it pays to be able to move your gun and rest quickly and with a minimum of movement. Moving a gun mounted bi-pod or even cross-sticks in deep snow is a huge pain. A mono-pod can be moved much easier, and I have found a wide range of gun movement can be made without moving the stick at all (much more than on stix or bi-pod). Especially in deep snow, a mono-pod is surprisingly steady when the stick is pushed into the snow and leaned against my knee.

I just bought a height adjustable mono-pod, which I think will be just the ticket for my use. I have not broken down and bought a set of the Stoney Point rapid-pivot bipod that Justin mentioned, but they look like they'd be very functional.

Idahogrinder
08-02-2008, 01:09 AM
I use both, just my opinion but I keep both in the truck and depending on where I am hunting I pick what to use..best of both worlds and you can have the bipod off in 10 seconds. I think the 40 bucks I spent on the shooting sticks was probably the best investment for gear I have ever spent!

RobIN
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I always seem to find bipods were too short, especially when sitting on a hillside. Even the standard Sniper-Styx were shorter than I liked. I pulled the point holder out, slipped a smaller shaft arrow inside the original shaft, extending it 10" or so, and epoxied it in place. Screwed the field points back in, and it does the trick for me. With a little practice, turning to face another direction becomes easy. Like Baron said, deep snow makes things trickier. I just hold the sticks together and use them as a monopod in that situation. Personally, I don't like the feel of bipods hanging on the rifle... to each his own! Rob

Littman
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I have both but I only use shooting sticks. I too find the bipod too shorts and limits may range of movement. they also shift the balance of the gun when you carry it on your shoulder.

I also do not like any of the commertial shooting sticks. They are too flimsy for me

I made myself a bi-fur-pod which I found of the Varmit-al webpage
http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

You can make them for less than ten dollars and they last a life time. They are good for both sitting and standing.

tmiller
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I have both but I only use shooting sticks. I too find the bipod too shorts and limits may range of movement. they also shift the balance of the gun when you carry it on your shoulder.

I also do not like any of the commertial shooting sticks. They are too flimsy for me

I made myself a bi-fur-pod which I found of the Varmit-al webpage
http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

You can make them for less than ten dollars and they last a life time. They are good for both sitting and standing.

Thanks Lit,

I made a set this weekend, they work great! I look at that site alot and have never paid attention to them.

Thanks Tim