PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Season has arrived in full force

kirsch
10-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Another coyote season has arrived. I haven't been able to get out as much as I would have liked so far but have managed to get out a few times. Sesaon has been good so far. In previous years/posts, I have mentioned that I get the opportunity to video/hunt for the Predator Madness Series from Drury Outdoors. The first 4 kills were by myself with no camera just for fun but the last 6 have been on film.

Two unique things this year so far.

I was able to film/shoot a coyote at the same time. There have been lots of people who have done this but with a HD - very large production camera may be a first especially without zooming the animal way back. I actually have now done this 3 times in a row which has a lot of luck involved.
<p>
I used a scope camera on another hunt to allow for 2 views to be displayed at the same time one from the cameraman point of view of the kill and one from my point of view through the scope. It turned out pretty cool.

To see pictures of 6 of these kills check out the following web site for pictures and stories. These hunts will hopefully be included on Predator Madness 5 video coming out Fall of 2009.

First 4 kills: (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/51/journal/mike-prochnow-korey-kirschenmann.php)
Last 2 kills: (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/66/journal/korey-kirschenmann-92708.php)

bighonkers89
10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Sweet Deal! Nice shooting!

I just bought a Remington .17 and boy am I antsy for the snow to come so we can start driving around. Pretty fun stuff.

Tyler

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Great stuff Korey! I'll be looking forward to PM5.

I kicked off my season with a couple of stands this morning before goose scouting. No customers, but it felt good to be back at it again.

kirsch
10-16-2008, 09:46 AM
bighonkers89, all the coyotes you see on those links attached to my first thread were shot with a .17 Rem except for the first and that was my partner shooting a different gun. All 5 of those went straight down and never moved more than 1 foot and some of these were not close encounters. 2 of them were over 250 yards. 17 rem is a great coyote gun no matter what others say. If this is your first .17 rem, congratulations and I offer this advice.

If you are not shooting moly loads, make sure to keep the barrel really clean. Barrels shooting light, hyper-velocity bullets such as .17 Rem, .204, etc need to be kept clean or they begin to wander all over.
<p>
I would highly recommend shooting reloads and recommend Berger Match Hollow Points. I would not recommend shooting MEF or Varmint bullets out of the .17 Rem. They will blow up to quick and early and not penetrate. If you shoot 25 grain Berger hollow points, you will see virtually no blood spot and it will blow them up in the inside and not come out the other side. It is lethal.

j12goose
10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Korey,

Don't you also shoot a .204? I have been kicking around the thought of getting a new CZ in a .204 but I haven't quite convinced myself yet. Do you see an advantage either way? ( .17 Rem v .204 )

bighonkers89
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Kirsch,

Thanks for all the great advice! This is going to be my first year hunting coyotes and even my first year shooting any kind of rifle. I bought this gun off a friend and he told me it is just a remarkable gun. I'm excited to use it. The only reason he got rid of it, is only because another guy sold him a new Tika for cheap.

If you don't mind, can you post up what I need to clean the barrel and how to do it.

ps- As of right now, I got a box of the Remington cartridges. I'm not too sure of any of the details. I'm away at university right now, also my buddy says the scope that's on there is good enough. What do you recommend?

Thanks alot,

Tyler

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Hey there bighonkers... You'll need a .17 cleaning rod, patch jag (I prefer the parker-hale style) and some plastic cleaning brushes. For the rod, look for a quality one piece rod, plastic coated if you can find one. You'll also need a some cleaning patches and a quality bore cleaner that works on both copper and lead/powder fouling. I haven't used it yet myself but I have read that the new foaming bore cleaners on the market do a great job. I like BoreTech solvent myself, but I've never seen it in Canada.

Lastly, a rod guide is a very handy tool. That is a plastic sleeve that slides in the action once the bolt is removed. the guide helps centre the cleaning rod as it enters the chamber/barrel and also keeps solvents from dripping down into the action.

I started shooting a .204 last year and it is part of my arsenal again this year. I shot both 35gr. and 40gr. Bergers last year but am sticking with the 40gr. this year. I also have my eyes open for something in .17 Rem though. I've never owned one and many experienced coyote shooters swear by them. It's always fun to try something new.:DR:

bighonkers89
10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the help Baron. I will give it a shot. Will a gunsmith have the tools I need?

The Baron of Bufflehead
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the help Baron. I will give it a shot. Will a gunsmith have the tools I need?

Possibly. Patches and cleaning solvent are easy to find but .17 cal jags, brushes and a cleaning rod might not be so easy. I have had very good luck ordering such things from the US, or you might find them at a local gun shop. If you have any trouble sourcing what you need, just shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help.:TT:

I forgot to ask about the scope you have... what make/model is it? I am a big believer in buying the best quality scope you can afford. The "cheap" scopes can be quite funtional, but in low light/bad weather thay can cause a lot of frustration. Same with sighting in, as the repeatability and ability to hold zero throughout power ranges can be very poor on cheap scopes and lead to a lot of head-banging.:CL: :rf: For coyote calling, I'd recommend a quality variable with a low end of 3-4x (3-9x, 4-12x, 4-16x etc). I wouldn't go much higher than 4x on the low end and 9x is plenty on the top end (but more is nice on those occasional long shots or days at the range). Both my coyote calling guns wear a 4.5-14x and I find them quite satisfactory, as was the 3-9x I had on my .222 magnum. Admittedly, I tend to prefer more magnification than I really need.

kirsch
10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
J12 goose: I used to shoot a .204. There just aren't many factory loads out for it and most loads are a ballistic tip or maximum expansion hollow point. I shot 6 coyotes all broadside under 250 yards and 4 of them went straight down, and a few seconds later were on their feet and running away from me. I had them on film so I know they weren't shoulder hits either. Both loads I tried were the 32 grain v-max and Winchester hp's. and are designed as varmint - prairie dog type bullets . In my opinion , neither are conducive to coyote hunting. I have heard a few better reports from the 40 grain v-max. Others I have spoken to have sold their 204's due to the same reason. I would suspect the .17 Rem with a similar load will do the same thing or be even worse. The issue is surface blow ups without adequate penetration to kill on the spot. I have seen 2 coyotes with a .204 using 35 grain bergers and they dropped like a stone. By that time, I had already found a buyer and sold the gun since my favorite guns have always been the .17 Rem and the 22-250 for coyotes anyway. I really didn't need the .204 but purchased it for some other sponsorship reasons. If you shoot bergers or any hollow point that is not maximum expansion style, I believe the .204 will be fine.

Your second question was .204 or .17 Rem. Personally, I like the .17Rem but this is just me. I have yet to loose a coyote with it when I don't flat out miss, and it has virtually no kick. With limited factory loads, you probably will end up wanting to reload. The .204 in theory should have slightly less wind drift and a bit more downrange energy from the ballistic tables but it isn't much different. All, I know is what I have experienced in the field shooting coyotes for 20+ years. If you are fur hunting especially, I have never seen the combination of coyote devastation along with when you go to pick it up, you can't even see where you hit them. They just fall asleep on the spot. It doesn't always make sense logically but the 25 grain hollow point from Berger seemed to have been designed as the perfect coyote bullet. I have heard some people with the .17 rem have moved to 30 grain as well and have had luck. For now, I am sticking with what I know works.

BigHonkers89: Thanks Baron for helping me out as I was off the Net for a few days. Baron covered the basis on cleaning, etc. I just went to my local sporting goods store and they had a fair amount of .17 supplies from reloading equipment to cleaning equipment and supplies. The main thing that Baron mentions is most cleaning rods, tips, etc start at .22 caliber so for anything smaller, you will need additional equipment.

For cleaning, I used Kroils, and Butch's Bore Shine for most of my cleaning needs. This seems to work fine. I have some bore paste too but usually the previous two is all I need. I have been shooting moly loads in my .17 Rem. Berger quit making them but at least in my head it seems as if I don't have to clean my gun as often but it may be the placebo affect.

On Baron's comment for a scope, I tend to agree. 3x-12 or 4x14 or so are about perfect. I rarely go down as far as 3 unless night hunting and I very rarely go over 8-9x in the field, but for sighting in your guns, or maybe spot and stalk, it is very nice to be able to crank up the scope once in awhile.

I did get out on Friday and my partner and I had an interesting day. We called in 8 total coyotes which would be a great day. They weren't as aggressive and we had shooting at 4 as the coyotes were hanging up more than usual and all shots were over 200 yards. 2 kills and 2 scared coyotes was the outcome. My partner missed a coyote and I pulled a rookie mistake with the camera as a 2nd coyote popped up when we hit the Ki Yi's, I thought I was still rolling and filmed (or not) him drop the 2nd one and give me a great reaction and interview only to look down and see the pause icon on my camera. I was so mad he almost had to go on without me the rest of the day.