PDA

View Full Version : Saw a Black Coyote

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I went out mid-day today for a little bowhunt for deer. I have seen coyotes on both of my last outings and I seriously considered bringing my rifle too. But, I'm not a big fan of dragging extra gear along for nothing and decided this was a deer hunt and I'd stick to the bow. Well, pulled up to a corn field where I have a ground blind up at about 12:30pm and lo and behold a coyote ducks out of the field. I grabbed my gear and scooted along the fenceline (had the FoxPro in the truck). The coyote pretty much watched me get out of the truck, but I though maybe he'd fall for a little rabbit distress after he disappeared and I moved a couple hundred yards down the fence. He was a no show, but I headed to the blind at the far corner of the corn field for a half hour or so. I wanted to move the ground blind, but I did a bit of rattling first (you never know) and then figured what the heck, put out the FoxPro and try some fawn distress to see if maybe a doe might come out of the adjoining woods. After 15 minutes of fawn distress I decided this was a coyote hunt now and switched over to coyote and fawn. Did that on full blast of and on for 10 minutes. Figured oh well, was worth a try. Packed my gear, pulled the blind down and put it away, then I noticed something black across the field where some standing corn meets the bush. Put up the binos and there's a coyotes head peeking at me from the bushline. Near as I could tell from just the face and neck, that coyote is all black! No sense in trying to call him as he'd certainly been sitting there watching me pull down the blind, so why educate him (more). I'm gonna go back and try for him with the rifle. I'd love to add a black coyote hide to the collection!

skb20
11-08-2008, 07:18 PM
You are quite sure it wasn't just a feral lab, right?
:nn:

jhartwig24
11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Hope you get him! I would love to see some pictures!! I have Never seen a complete Black coyote before! It sounds cool.

Cut-um
11-08-2008, 11:48 PM
You are quite sure it wasn't just a feral lab, right?
:nn:

Wouldn't you just love that you lab hating sumbitch...:rf: :CL: :rf:

Bardern
11-09-2008, 02:37 AM
I was speaking to a local wildlife bioligist about our Eastern Ontario coyotes Rob. He said that our coyotes have been interbreeding with grey wolfs. he also said that a coyote will not interbreed with a dog contrary to popular belief. As wolfs can throw throw black pups maybe this was a hybred wolf/coyote or maybe even a full blood grey? a local farmer swears he saw a black wolf earlier this Fall he said it was a hellofvalot bigger than any otes he ever seen.

BRUNO
11-11-2008, 10:17 AM
...Any reports/updates Baron?

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-11-2008, 08:30 PM
...Any reports/updates Baron?

Yes... yes indeed. I was just coming on here to tell y'all about it...

Called the farmer tonight and told him about seeing the black coyote - told him I was going to come out this week and try for him with the rifle... farmer says he's already dead.:up: Turns out the farmer killed him Sunday (I saw him Saturday afternoon). I asked if he was black and he said yeah, he was cool looking. Then he laughed and said if I want to see it, it's on top of the manure pile with a couple big .243 holes in it.

I charged up the FoxPro last night and was excited about going after that dude. Doooh!:CL:

jhartwig24
11-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Go get us some pics! We want to see him! Just be sure to bring a clothes pin for your nose! :nn:

BRUNO
11-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Hmmmmm.....manure pile eh?...noted....

I'm still really new to this and I'm always lookin for good things to add to my repertoire!!!...Manure pile.....can do.

....I'll give you credit for not pulling him off the pile and posing with him like you shot him.....Big of you little buddy.

kirsch
11-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I have never seen a black coyote before. One time I told my hunting partner, "check out that black coyote" as the way the sun hit his fur, it sure looked all black and then he turned and it was just a dark coyote. I have seen some video of a black coyote, though. I agree Baron if I ever got one, it would be a keeper.

Keep after them.

furious
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I used to see one on Wolfe Island during our field hunts, all the local farmers had seen him and they were all gunning for him, he was like a legend or something!!