PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ontario Newbie Questions

fast-talkr
11-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I am going to purchase a Foxpro and would love to take up this sport of calling in coyotes.
Here`s my confusion........I have been told by a few guy`s around our area that calling one in won`t work and that they know of people who have tried and that they have not been successful. They say this is true because of the amount of fence lines and bush in our area,not wide open enough.
I know that Baron living in eastern Ontario and others surely live in an area that is less wide open then my home area. Do you guys think that after a learning curve on my part and finding the proper calls to use that if I put my time in that it could be done here.
Personally I think that they just have not put enough time in to learn how to be successful,but if my theory is not true and in fact these gentlemen are speaking the truth I don`t want to be banging my head against the wall.
Your thoughts and opinions on this are what I would like.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Don - you will be successful if you put your time in.

The people you have talked to sound like classic armchair experts. They sound like the same guys who always kill limits of geese and always shoot a trophy buck each year with their bow, and yet they always seem to be standing around the sport shop or sitting on a bar stool telling the same semi-fictional stories day after day.:NW: They have never even tried calling a coyote in their lives, and yet somehow they are an authority on how it doesn't work.:LM:

Coyote hunting is definitely not easy, but with patience and persistence it will start to click. Expect a challenge and expect to load and unload the same ammo from your gun several times, but its frigggin' cool when it works! I would be more than happy to talk anytime on the phone, or even better get together sometime to give it a try with you. I will not pretend to be an expert, but I am pig-headedly persistent and I have fooled a few. The less luck I had, the more determined I became and finally I have reached a point where I expect to see a coyote when I am calling.

Which reminds me I really need to stop sitting in a tree with a stick-bow in my hands and get to callin' some 'yotes!:up:

Flocknocker
11-14-2008, 11:09 PM
For yotes the more fences the better. Fences = food!!! Anyone who ever hunted yotes for a while knows about fence rows and brush lines. Most fences gone from here many years ago so folks could make a living on poor grain prices. So we have lots of open country, let me tell ya yotes don't like the open during the day, but they love broken up land with lots of bits of cover for birds, rabbits, mice and such. Sounds like you have a damn good place to hunt to me.

Guys who don't hunt yotes think they like the open ground because they see them there, sounds like them guys ain't much for killing yotes.

Good luck, you will love yote hunting!!!

Cliff

fast-talkr
11-15-2008, 06:48 AM
The guy`s that are telling me this are guy`s that organize and drive the yotes.(Not arm-chair hunters.....TRUCK WINDOW). I know of a few groups that have killed over fifty coyotes per year.If we have that many,then I`m sure I can get some to come to a call.

The Baron of Bufflehead
11-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Cliff is absolutely right - those fencelines and bush are where coyotes live and hunt. The houndsmen hate ditches and fencelines because that's the cover coyotes use to give them the slip. But for you, those fencelines are both the cover you need to setup in, and the cover a coyote wants to use in approaching your call. Think like a coyote - if you are going to setup calling in a field, you instinctively head to the fenceline for concealment, right? Factor in that coyotes will approach from downwind 95% of the time, and you now know where to look when calling.

One of the biggest set-backs for an eastern coyote hunter is watching all the videos filmed in the west. It makes us think coyotes live in the wide open and they will come running like magic from across huge fields to the first rabbit squall they here. While that may happen occasionally, my first big breakthrough was to stop calling over large fields and start focusing more on the cover where coyotes live.

It certainly sounds like there are plenty of coyotes out your way. Go get 'em!:DR:

kirsch
11-17-2008, 09:26 AM
fast-talkr,

I would say if anything you might have a better place to call than most. Just because they get some coyotes, doesn't mean they know "squat" about coyote hunting. They may know how to chase a coyote but not how to call to one.

If the majority of guys are driving them/chasing them, etc, the coyotes aren't used to being called and that is a big PLUS. You can get back into areas the drivers can't and get the coyotes they can't get and maybe even hunt when they can't. Coyotes are conditioned just like any animal whether geeese, deer, etc, so at least you aren't having to hunt on similar ground with a whole bunch of hunters trying to call them in.

These guys have found it take a lot more work and effort to go out and harvest coyotes in a sporting way versus chasing them down. I realize coyotes cause trouble in lots of areas but I don't have a lot of respect for hunters who hunt this way. This is the reason I stopped hunting fur tournaments. I would work my tail off all day and then get beat by a whole bunch of teams that only walked enough to pick up the coyotes or load their sleds and then have to give up the fur too. This was very frustrating. Sorry as I had to rant for a second as driving coyotes with a motorized vehicle in ND is illegal as you cannot harass game with a vehicle.

Baron and Cliff have given you very sound advice. Watch your downwind side, if you buy electronics make sure to position so the coyote can work the call downwind but not wind you, and get the call in a spot that will allow the coyote to travel the "path of least resitance" but still offer you a shot. You will be amazed at how often you can almost pick the spot where you will kill the coyote. It is killing on purpose vs by accident. It isn't easy but with time and patience like any sport, it will start to happen.

On the coyotes and open country comments, I have a few comments myself. The reason most videos are shot in open country tends to be it is much easier to video. In heavier cover, shots tend to be closer and quicker and many times a camera man simply doesn't have enough time. Even in ND which most would consider very wide open, coyotes will always use cover when they have a chance. Cover is often hills, fence lines, CRP grass, and many other things. Like I said earler they will travel the path of least resistance but I will add as long as it provides them security. So, if there is a natural trail that animals like to take, use it to your advantage and use the cover to your advantage as well. If you keep score, the coyotes will win most of the time for a long time, but when you do win one, it will be a pretty good "high" for awhile. Good hunting.

Marsh rat
11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I,m planin on trying it ,
let me know fast talker if you need a shotgun bakup to go with you?

fast-talkr
11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
First time I`ve seen you on here Les,I will let you know.