PDA

View Full Version : Fox vs 22-250

BlueDevil
12-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I shot my first anything with my new Tikka 22-250 I picked up several months ago (haven't taken it out into the field, just the local shooting range). I was out deer hunting today and decided to take it along as I've been seeing loads of coyotes around. This guy approached me while I was driving a trail and had enough time to jump out, load the clip and let him have it before he knew what was going on! Not my most preferred method of getting them but I'll take this one to make up for all the deer that got away this year! :rof: I shot him at around 35 yards with Hornady's V-MAX 55gr Moly just behind the base of the neck and he was done!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2008%20Varminting%20Pictures/IMG_1987.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2008%20Varminting%20Pictures/IMG_1989.jpg

wa beak breaker
12-07-2008, 06:34 AM
good shooting, not much of a target are they. congrats

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Way to go B-D! I was hoping to have a chance at a fox last winter, but maybe I will this winter.

How was the damage with the 250? Doesn't look too bad, but maybe you are showing us the good side.:rf:

BlueDevil
12-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Way to go B-D! I was hoping to have a chance at a fox last winter, but maybe I will this winter.

How was the damage with the 250? Doesn't look too bad, but maybe you are showing us the good side.:rf:

Baron,

You are correct I am showing the good side! LOL! The damage on the other side left a pretty nice sized hole in the pelt. I donated him to a buddy and he was going to skin it out.

wa beak breaker,

It was a fairly close shot but the Elite 4200 6-24x40 did it's job! :pl:

kirsch
12-07-2008, 04:27 PM
A bonus fox is always great. We used to have tons of them but the Mange wiped them out from ND.

Fox vs 22-250. 250 usually wins. I don't care what load you use for a 22-250, you will blow up fox. Best chance if you want to save fur on a fox shooting a 250 is to actually shot a soft point or anything that won't open up and hopefully go straight through. A fox is just big enough to start to open the bullet and their skin is so thin.

I have killed lots of coyotes as well with 55 grain v-max but finally gave up and went to hollow points because they caused less external damage and more internal damage and flattened coyotes right out where the stood. Good luck with the coyotes.

The Spank
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Way to go, take no prisoners! Did not think there was much of a fox pop. on the prairies. Never saw a one when I lived in Calgary about 28 years ago and I spent alot of hours out prairie doggin, saw lots of coyotes though. Fox vs. 22-250.....one sided contest!I shot one once with a 53 grain hollow point from about 150 yds.Went over to pick it up and it was cut completely in half except for 1 inch of skin on the entry side, right behind the front shoulder where I was aiming....went to 55gr. soft points after that.

Idahogrinder
12-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Congrats on the fox. I've only got one, and I shot it with my .300 since I was headed elk huntin. It was bad when I looked up, there were softball size chunks of fur settling down..needless to say I only got the skull and tail.