PDA

View Full Version : Fox Pro Scorpion VS Yote............ No Contest!!!!!!

Flocknocker
12-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Well it was not much of a match. Bought the unit brought it home, set it up in some brush by my food plots, turned it on, tried a few calls, pretty kool, it was dark but had some light from the shop.

Sit in the back porch opened a window and waited. Use the Jack In The Box after I made some yote screams and a rabbit on it's last legs call. Tuned on the JITB and all hell broke lose, a yote came all the way across the barley field and hit that critter at light speed, went head over heals like a lab hot to retrieve a bird. Well he made a mistake by standing still for about 2 seconds, I had a 52 grain match hollow point Speer bullet on it way already, never knew what hit him. This is the off side as you can see no exit hole just like the rest I shoot.

Second time out another dog, no camera sorry. I was 200 yards from an island and had the call set up there, I was behind some grain elevators brushed up. This is a dog that has been harassing my geese, one of many. Started calling and he came runnin down a fence row hell bent for a free meal, hehe. Sent the shot, and he folded up like a paper bag. Ain't had anymore time to get after them, but we got a blizzard comming and I'm sure they will be hungry after a few days of below 0 and 40 MPH winds.

Going to get some horn speakers to reach out and touch um but I am totally impressed with this little machine, worth every penny IMHO.

Any who, just thought I would let ya know the war is full blown on, death is in the air!!!!! Could of swore I seen Osamma's (sp?) head dress on them yotes!!!!

Pelts worth anything this year???

Cliff

wa beak breaker
12-12-2008, 06:31 AM
well done cliff. look in the predator extreme mag when the new one comes out it has the fur market in it.

j12goose
12-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Man Cliff, thats a good looking dog. I'm not sure if they are worth anything this year or not, but I'm positive that they are worth at least a 52gr bullet!!!!

Is that gun a Remmy 788?

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Good job Cliff!:HP: Nice, light colored 'yote in that pic.

I gotta get out and get started myself!!:Bn:

kirsch
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
From what I have heard from the fur buyers in ND, the market is down considerably even over the pathetic market of the last few years. The last 2-3 years, a coyote still in the carcass delivered to a fur buyer would bring $20-25 if it was a good white, northern winter prime coyote in ND Anything with red or darker colors or not as furred up dropped drastically. Most places were paying $20-25 for top, $10 for medium and $5 or $0 if the stuff was early or blown up.

This year here are the prices I have been quoted so far.

$10 (great color + prime, no damage), $5 (good but not 100% on both), $2.50 (poor on one of the items) and $0 (poor or not good on either). I was told this is a good average for both coyote, fox and coon. I checked around and all the buyers were saying the same thing. Poor economy in Russia and China with little fur moving. Without seeing the damage on the other side, I would say that is either a $10 or a $5 coyote as color and fur appear nice, so just a matter if there is any signficant front side damage. There were some buyers that told me they are are only buying a select few perfect coyotes or none at all.

With this market, if you like to skin or know of someone who does, it might be a good year to have them skinned and tanned and have something made, or sell them as a novelty.

Good Hunting. Nice shooting Cliff

Quacker-Wacker
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Good job Cliff! Damn Cliff, you make it sound sooo easy!:HP:

Flocknocker
12-12-2008, 12:22 PM
It is easy here, tons of the damn things and no one really hunts them. Now it's even easier I don't even have to blow a call, hehe, just push a button. We can hunt them day or night here.

Yea we have real nice dogs, that one is a real small pup but furred up real nice, Our dogs are big and real light colored. Well maybe I will see about that full length yote coat I promised Deb. We will just use the real light dogs, man that makes a beautiful coat.

Yup Rem 788 22-250 I have two of them, bought em back in the day with the money from a bobcat I killed. Tack drivers to be sure. The finish on this one is cracked in rings from top to bottom of the stock. I took the gun from a warm truck out into -30 below for the first stand of the day and I could hear something cracking, it was the finish, I laughed till my nose froze shut and stuck to my stash, damn that hurts.

I'm looking for the ultimate long range kill em in the wind gun now, we get a ton of wind here. I'm thinking 7mm Ultra Mag with a Carbon fiber wrapped barrel, rigged up for a target gun but use it for yotes. Speer makes a 162 grain boat tail hollow point match grade bullets that goes right though a yote, just two little holes, I have used this bullet in my 7 mag and it worked very well. You can't find a better Cal and bullet for SD & BC I don't think anyway.

Cliff

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
..I'm thinking 7mm Ultra Mag with a Carbon fiber wrapped barrel, rigged up for a target gun but use it for yotes. Speer makes a 162 grain boat tail hollow point match grade bullets that goes right though a yote...

Yup - a 7mm will buck the wind real good and should knock 'em flat at any range!:hest: You can also try the Berger 168gr. BTHP VLD's, with a BC of .683!

hooked on waterfowl
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Way to go Cliff!Good luck with the coyote's, hope you get alot more with your fox pro.

Ruff
12-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice one Cliff!!

Our dadgum DNR comes up with one gun season after another around here for deer and when there is a gun deer season Yotes are off limits to protect the wolves here. Even with the closed season on yotes 7 of the wolves have been found shot from the Deer Hunters. I have to wait till after Christmas before I can go.

:hp: :CF: :CZ: :LM:

salthunter
12-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Pelts worth anything this year???

Cliff

Spoke with my brother. He said the real market dropped with the stock market.
Furs are being bought on speculation. Guys with the money put up money for buyers. ,..
In the past the speculation market seldom lasted more than 2 years,
Sorry Cliff; none of us will be buying a rife with one good cat this year.
I had a bunch of gear ready ,.. I was planning on hitting the desert sort of hard, Now I just might hit the geese a bit more than I was planning

2labs
12-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Now that is a pretty coyote, we dont have them that white around here!! Nice going, Cliff!! Not much of a market as of now, maybe later in the new year but who can tell. Have it tanned and hang it on the wall!

Flocknocker
12-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Barron I'm going to test some of them VLT's in my 7 Mag, I heard they open up after an inch or two. The Speer's I was talking about don't open up at all, just a nice hole going in and a 7mm hole coming out. Now if you hit heavy bone the bone will blow a hole.

But with the prices being what they are I'm just going to kill a bunch just to keep my Lads safe and thin the ones screwing with our geese. Every neighbor has lost critters this year to the yotes, and they try and bait my dogs off all the time. So it's time to lay the smack daddy down. Got two more now on my place last couple days, with lots more to go by the amount of sign I'm seeing in the fresh snow. Going to do a night hunt tonight, with all this fresh snow they will stick out real good.

I will pelt out any XL super light ones for a coat for Deb. If your going to have stuff tanned it don't make sense money wise to do small dog or medium's. And I ain't driving to town for $10 or less each, let the eagles eat em.

Cliff

jhartwig24
12-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Good shooting Cliff! I went out this afternoon, first time this year for me! Lots of sign and tracks, but nothing was interested in the foxpro sounds! But it is just getting good. Suppose to be dropping below zero for next few days with 40+ mph winds! After the storm passes, the little buggers ought to be plenty hungry! Keep after em!

jhartwig24
12-13-2008, 09:34 PM
By the way Cliff, can you send me a PM about where you got your new Scorpion, and how much it costed you? I have an older FoxPro, just a handheld without a remote, and I am looking at upgrading to the Scorpion as well! Thanks!

Flocknocker
12-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Jake, I bought mine at my local Cabelas only because they have a $150 coupon on the net you can get and that make it cheaper than any other place I could find. They are about $500.I also downloaded the $20 coupon and bought my Jack in the Box which made the cheapest I could find.

Scorpion comes with the good remote and 100 sounds that cover just about everything. Plus enough memory to download another 100 sounds for a total of 200. Have also bought two external speakers (on the way) from Fox Pro so I can run two sounds at the same time. Like a pack sound and a pup in distress sound all at once. It's allot of call in a small package, I really like it.I can put the call and remote in my pocket if I hunt a small wood lot, in and out fast, sets up in seconds.

If you get one let me know what ya think.

Cliff

jhartwig24
12-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Cliff, I was looking on the Cabelas webiste to see if I could find the coupon you had mentioned. The only thing I was able to find was $30.00 OFF of $150 purchase and a promo for free shipping. I was not able to find the $150 coupon, do they still have that offer??

Flocknocker
12-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Don't know if they do or not. Guy at Cabelas tuned me onto it, might be over.

Cliff

Ruff
12-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey Cliff you going to upgrade to the New Fury when they start shipping them from Fox Pro? I can't justify the 600 bones for the unit myself as I'm a recreational caller and I'm working with the FX-3. But it looks like the cat's arse and has some great features. Programed sequences is the big one I like on the unit.

Flocknocker
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know, I would like to see one in action first.

Cliff

Idahogrinder
12-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm puttin my order in on my fury, so I will let you know how it works out..

honker slayer
01-04-2009, 07:11 AM
good job cliff

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-04-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm puttin my order in on my fury, so I will let you know how it works out..

Yes... please start a thread with a field report when you get it! :TT: