PDA

View Full Version : Watch Coyote videos

kirsch
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I wanted to continue my update from an earlier thread "Coyote season arrives in full force".

So far this year, I have captured 10 kills on video. Lots of other obligations have been getting in the way. 3 of the kills included a scope camera. Many of you that know I provide coyote footage to Drury Outdoors have asked that I post some of the footage. I can't because of copyright.

Good news! 3 of the scope camera videos were released by the company that makes the scope camera I have been using. There are 3 clips about 5 minutes each on their website. I am the camera man, hunter, and editor on virtually all of it as my partner has not been able to come out with me. It is quite a challenge to video, shoot and get all this to work. Hope you enjoy. The videos are small due to Internet publishing and don't include the full story line but still fun to watch.

Video Hunt #1 (http://www.jkoutdoorproducts.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/gen_flv&vidid=4)

Video Hunt #2 (http://www.jkoutdoorproducts.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/gen_flv&vidid=5)

Video Hunt #3 (http://www.jkoutdoorproducts.com/index.php?page=mods/Video/gen_flv&vidid=6)

Keep in mind these are not educational videos but in this case more marketing related.

Here are links to all the stories and pictures from kills where I either was the hunter or camera for this year.

1st 4 kills (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/51/journal/mike-prochnow-korey-kirschenmann.php)
2 more kills (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/66/journal/korey-kirschenmann-92708.php)
2 October kills (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/74/journal/korey-mike-oct-17-24.php)
November #1 (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/118/journal/korey-kirschenmann-nov-11.php)
Nov #2 (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/134/journal/korey-kirschenmann-nov-28.php)

Ne-ILgooser
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
nice videos, makes me jealous we cant use rifles around here its only the scattergun.

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Very cool stuff Korey! You sure know how to make things difficult for yourself - wearing that headgear and looking through your scope remotely makes an already hard game even tougher. But the footage sure is cool. Keep up the great work!:cool:

kirsch
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, I am not going to fib and say it is easy to shoot with the headgear but once you get used to it, it isn't bad. You can view what the goggles are seeing or what the scope is seeing. For night time hunting this is the ticket. It is far superior to anything I have ever seen. We can't hunt with night vision technology in ND but for anyone who can, this thing would be the ticket. You can go out in total darkness and see a couple hundred yards. Going to and from a deer stand or a ton of other low-light or no-light applications even if you just use the goggles. I have been cleared by the ND Game and Fish to use it for filming but not for harvesting the animal so we still hope to capture a night hunt with it which is the main purpose of this equipment and as we used it decided why not capture day hunts with it as well

For daytime hunting, it is tough because you don't see anything besides what the scope is seeing so it makes you tunnel visioned. You can't just lift your head off the gun and see where the gun is pointed. We still are getting the hang of it as well. Overall, the technology is super cool and has lots of possibilities. Thanks for the feedback.

BlueDevil
12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
You look like like an Alien! :rof: Good stuff man! :TT:

Woods and Water
12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
I will say that was AWESOME!!!! I have never seen anything quite like that, I will be looking the site over and may need to invest.....coyote hunting just took on a whole new level of fun.

Flocknocker
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Very Kool!!! How much??

Cliff

kirsch
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
J&K Outdoors is great to work with. There are local stores which carry the Nyte Vu product if you check their website (http://www.jkoutdoorproducts.com/index.php?page=mods/dealers/index). Also, found some places online such as B&H Photo. Appears the goggles run around $525 and the scope attachment about $350. It doesn't come cheap but I can say the night vision portion is really cool. They are a lot less expensive than most generation I through III systems and far better. From what I have been told, the military is moving to a similar technology as well. One of the real keys is that it can be used anywere. You can use it from daylight bright sunny skies to so dark that you can't see your hand which is very different from standard night vision.

I never thought of it until now but it would even work well to put out decoys in the dark. Either with or without lights if a person wanted to sneak into an area and not use any lights to set up, the goggles would work well for that.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this into an infomercial post but since Cliff asked, I thought it would be OK. Too bad I don't get a commission :OUCH:

kirsch
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
If any of you wish to use something like this to record video vs simply as a hunting tool or night vision tool, I wanted to clarify something. The goggles and scope don't record the actual footage. You can connect the video to a recording device like a camcorder, DVR, etc and record the exact same image you see in the goggles or from the scope to that device.

I have a cheap-used minidv camcorder I purchased from Ebay which I feed the video into and record for this purpose. It can be seen on the first video. I just wanted to clarify in case some of you buy this and then say wait a minute, I can't record with this equipment but Korey did. You are right, it is compatible with any recording device that can take and record an analog video feed. The minidv camera option is nice because it can be very small. I have even used the camcorder as my goggles and simply connected the scope camera and the video camera at times and viewed my image on the camcorder. However, the image in the goggles is bigger and not affected by bright sunlight like the LCD of a camcorder can be so the goggles are a very good investment.

Flocknocker
12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Can I look through the scope with just the goggles well enough to shoot a dog at 100 yards???

Cliff

kirsch
12-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Cliff, as usual, long answer. Can you see the coyote at 100 yards with the goggles, yes usually. The specs say 200 feet in total darkness but how often is it totally dark where there is no light from stars, moon, yard lights, snow, etc. The last time I was out at night under a full moon, my eyes could see probably 200 yards effectively and with goggles and scope camera it was way further than I can shoot probably 500-600 yards +. I would say with goggles alone expect on average 150 yards and with scope attachment 200 yards plus.

The goggles put out an infared (IR) light source. The bigger the IR source the better and farther you can see. Some people have bought a big spotlight or highpwered flash light and put IR material in front of it and the yardage is only limited by how far a person can typically see. If you purchase the scope attachment, this also has an IR light source and will extend the range of how far you can see both because of the extra light and the ability to magnify the image via your scope power.

Your question was can you see a dog at 100 yards at night. I would say yes. Here is the catch though, if you are only using the goggles, now you can see the dog but without the scope attachment, how can you shoot it. After your question, I called the owner and asked him if you can see through a scope with the goggles on and no scope attachment. He said yes and no. Yes, you can see through it because the vision is 1 to 1. However, the IR lights on the goggles will cause a reflection in the scope glass and not work correctly. He said if you cover the IR lights on the goggles and use another IR light source, this would work.

The other catch is if you do this you will be seeing via the camera lens in the center of the goggles and it displays to both eyes. So, you would have to pull the scope up and center it perfectly in the middle of your vision versus to one side or the other. I would worry it would be kind of clumsy. My recommendation would be to use the scope attachment if you plan to use it for hunting. It takes about 10 seconds to put the scope camera on and take it off when not in use once you put the extra sets of rings on your scope.

You would be using the goggles until you see the coyote, flip the switch on the goggles which turns the feed over to the scope camera and pull up the gun, crosshairs on dog, dead dog. Since the IR is on top of the scope, where you point your gun is where you can see. It is a pretty slick deal. A bit cumbersome at times but a great option.

You then can use the goggles alone for night fishing, goose decoys, walking to deer stand, fixing stuff at night, etc.

jimfaststeel
12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. Kudos my friend:TT:

Flocknocker
12-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Well done as usual, thanks I will look into a good IR source and see what I can come up with. A shotgun in tight cover with a real good IR source on the Shot gun would be very effective with Dead Coyote loads by heavy shot.

Tell them guys they need to make a right eyed only set of goggles for looking down a barrel or scope.

Cliff

kirsch
12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Cliff,

I will do that. I can't give specifics but I do know J&K is working on other applications and maybe one will fit your style of hunting need. Keep an eye on their website during the coming months.