PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot a coyote

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I found these pics and since I was very surprised at how far forward a coyote's heart/lungs are, I figured I might not be the only one. So here are some pics, for your educational benefit. Note how far farward the shoulder is as well. If you shoot a broadside coyote "behind the leg" like a deer, then the shot is a bit back of where it should be. The true center of the vital is more in line with the foreleg. This might explain why I had so many spinners/runners with the .204 last winter - I was actually aiming too far back and probably getting more liver shots than intended. Hope these are helpful for all...:TT:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/anatomy_coyote_side_2.jpg

another...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/anatomy_coyote_side_I.jpg

Bardern
01-12-2009, 05:38 AM
geez Rob I though you were giving out spots to go in the first place! I have been whiffing all winter. I have only seen one since December.

It looks like you have to shoot at the top of the leg for a heart shot?

kirsch
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Nice post. I have always been shotting just a shade back as well. It hasn't seemed to matter. If it explodes on the inside, my guess is virtually all the organs or toast. Just have to make sure it doesn't expand on the outside via "splash" and this diagram helps that. Thanks for sharing.

SSCarnage
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks Baron. Was hoping to do more yote hunting this year, and now I know where to shoot!

Firehunter
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Great info, thanks, never knew how far forward those vitals are.

jhartwig24
01-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow...as everyone has said. I'm kinda surprised as to how far forward the heart and lungs are. I've always tried to aim just behind the leg as well, just like you would a deer. This is GREAT information! Thanks for posting it up!

Ne-ILgooser
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
It's bye bye time for mr. yote now. Thanks for that post.

jimfaststeel
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Great post Baron!!

Cut-um
01-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Rob, very good info and like many others stated, I would have held behind the shoulder. Good info such as this deserves to find it's way on the "Great Ideas & Posts Forum"...:TT:

ixkaped2
01-15-2009, 06:10 AM
That is good to know, but 3.5" buckshot will still catch it all!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
...Good info such as this deserves to find it's way on the "Great Ideas & Posts Forum"...:TT:

I finally made it, I finally made it!!! Wheeeeeeee....:DR:

Quacker-Wacker
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Great info for sure. I shoot coyote and fox for the fur and always tried to stay away from the shoulder to eliminate bullet splash and fur damage. I wonder if a fox is the same? Next time I skin one, I'm going to have to check it out.

BlueDevil
01-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for posting Rob! :TT:

GrayDuck
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
The few coyotes I have shot with my 204 using 32 gr V-max bullets support your point 100%. Only two where double lung shots right behind the shoulder and both were spinners/runners. Don't get me wrong, they didn't go far and their insides were soup. All the rest of my broadside shots were shoulder shots and all were bang flops.

Thx for posting the diagram.

KingofCorn
02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Like everyone else great info especially for those who dont know. There nothing better than information from someone who has experienced it. I always aim for the shoulder, more area to aim at especially on shots over 300yds... Have shot several yotes this year and have not had one take one step after impact even though over half were head shots.

Again great post and you can never have too much knowledge no matter how smart you think you are.

skb20
02-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Good stuff. Here's my $0.02. Not related to coyotes but to deer in that they have been mentioned, and I believe the relationship between leg/shoulder/heart/lung is really very, very similar between the 2. The proper aim point for a forward lung (and thus heart) shot (in either species) is directly in line with the center of the visible foreleg, about 1/3 up from bottomline of the body. That is for an animal standing at exactly 90 degrees, of course... further forward for quartering on, and further aft for quartering away. If you shoot behind the foreleg, it will almost always result in a liver shot (or worse). A common misconception is that the leg bones run straight upward from where the foreleg meets the body, making us think that a bullet just above that point will hit bone, and hence mess up the front "shoulder" in deer or other edible critters or blow bone shrapnel through hides etc in furbearers. Not so, because the upper "arm" is angling sharply forward and the shoulder blade backward. "Behind the shoulder" is actually sortof a misnomer (and yes, I have used it). "Above the elbow" (and just slightly forward) is where we really want to be. May not make much difference with certain loads on coyotes, as mentioned already... but it will make a HUGE difference on deer, elk, antelope, etc

banded
10-17-2010, 06:58 AM
great post and totaly true I always aim for the shoulders on a brodside shot and dead center between the tips of them on the chest if they are head on! I use a .223 700 Police with 55gr V-Max and when I hit my mark they are almost always dead right there!
Great post and info guys!

Jonathan

Littman
04-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Rob, I am surprised how far forward the heart is

Flipper
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Very nice post and I learned something new! Thanks TBob!!!!

salthunter
07-30-2012, 07:33 AM
,........is directly in line with the center of the visible foreleg, about 1/3 up from bottomline of the body. That is for an animal standing at exactly 90 degrees, of course...,................it will make a HUGE difference on deer, elk, antelope, etc

Right on stuff

I had beem always taught right behind the crease (white-tails) mostly to prevent a shoulder hit and meat dammage:confused:
I want game dead

Shot placement isnd bullet type is more important than caliber
I use to shoot facing me fox with .22 thru their right eyeball socket,.. no damage to the hide, no mess and they go straght dowm