PDA

View Full Version : Fox

jimfaststeel
01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii355/jimfaststeel/FOX1-18-09.jpg

Headed out this morning to check a few spots to do some calling for coyotes. I wasn't planning on killin anything but I'm glad I threw the rifle and whites in the truck. Spotted this guy curled up out in a section and got permission from the landowner. Spent about a half an hour glassing him and planning the attack and the distance he was off the fenceline (200 yards). Found two tall weeds perfectly in line with him. One time he stood up and did the multiple circling thing and layed back down.

I figured it was about 3/4 mile walk to get where I needed to be. Finally got there and wouldn't you know it, couldn't see him bacause of a little knoll between him and the fence. Anyway had to do some commando belly crawling to get closer. Waited for traffic on the highway to cover up my noise. Got to where I wanted to be, set the bipod up, and came up slowly.

He was sawing logs so hard he didn't know what hit him. 77 yards

From the time I left the truck to the time I got back it took 2 1/2 hours.

I think I might have him mounted sleeping and put him on the fireplace mantle.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Damn it Jim - you're on a hot streak!:cool: Great job. Those foxes are a tiny target when you see one peeled.

Just curious... how was the 250 / VMax combo on the fur? I haven't had a chance at a fox yet, but will definitely get it tanned if/when I do.

bighonkers89
01-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Wow that's a nice one! Congrats!

kirsch
01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Jim,

Great job, pelt looks nice and red. I have a den 1 mile from house. I have stalked and harvested hundreds of red fox in my life but for some reason this fox eluded myself and my partner through 6 shots. He is so close to town that it never gets into a good deep sleep between airplanes, cars etc. We finally got it last week when it was -16 and it was sunning itself and finally got into a deep enough sleep to get a good stalk on it. I will post pictures and story when they become available. Great job. I love calling coyotes but it sure is a rush to stalk fox. Stalking coyotes is even tougher but fox stick out so great in the snow.

jimfaststeel
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Baron, The vmax blew through him and left very little damage to the pelt. I was suprised that the exit hole wasn't any bigger than it was. But, I will be trying some of the Berger HP's when the season is over.

Korey, wtg on your red. Great determination finishing the deal on him. :TT:
You know that you have broken a serious man law by not posting a pic of him yet.
Look forward to seeing it when you get a chance.

Thanks guys and let's be getting after em.

Can't wait til Feb. 9th. I got a feeling it's gonna get ugly.:st:

BlueDevil
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Congrats nicely done! :pl:

Quacker-Wacker
01-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Yikes! you shot him with a 250? you must be showing the good side. They sure got some pretty fur. Congrats!

Ruff
01-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Nice one! They arn't worth much so might as well mount it or get it taned and save it for something.

honker slayer
01-24-2009, 08:09 AM
good job

mike2355
01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
wow nice fox. Me and bighonkers89 went out today for coyotes but didn't see a single yote. We did however spot 4 fox. Took a shot at one which was pretty far but he kept on running and into a bush. Then the next spot we spotted 2 in the field, and they ran into a bush. We got the ok from the owner so we set up in the tree line and i let them have it with the rabbit squealer. As soon as i started calling out came one from the bush right for us. I was stupid and moved since i couldn't see him and it saw me and took off. A few shots later and nothing still. He sat in the middle of the field about 3-400 hundred yards away so I kept screaming on the call. He came back into the bush but wouldnt come out, so we decided to push it. He came out but was already far to get a shot off. Then down the next block spotted another one that we couldnt get a shot at.

jimfaststeel
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Mike, at least you two had some decent action. We just got back and got shutout. You guys keep at it, it's at matter of time before you'll connect and then it'll be all worth while.:TT:

HitmenWaterFowlin
01-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Congrats on the fox Jim. Looks like a decent head of hair on him too!

kirsch
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Jim,

You said I broke a man law by not showing pictures, so here they are. The story attached at this site says it all. This pair of fox teased me and my hunting partner for almost 2 years. They were so close to my house but between highway traffic, snowmobiles and many other sounds, we struggled getting them.

My hunting partner has had the hot hand recently, so he is the one who got to do the shooting. He stalked and shot and I was right behind him videoing the entire thing. These two fox were shot 10 days apart from about the same distance 200 yards and laying pretty close to where the previous one did. Enjoy the story and pictures.

Story (http://www.druryoutdoors.com/150/journal/mike-prochnow-jan-24.php)

jimfaststeel
02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
It's about time, but well worth the wait. Great story and pics Korey.:TT:

Congrats and way to be persistant. Tell your buddy Mike good shootin':st: