PDA

View Full Version : My first kill with the .17

bighonkers89
02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Well guys,
we were after the coyotes again this morning. A buddy of mine shot 1 nice silver one early in the morning.

We noticed a jack running his heart out threw the field, my first shot was behind him but my second shot connected and right through the eyes.

He will be some good eatin!

I was pretty pumped, I can't beleive I rolled him at 108 yards.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn168/bighonkers89/DSCF4621.jpg

Tyler

mike2355
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
about time you killed something

hooked on waterfowl
02-16-2009, 10:27 AM
about time you kill something tyler!:OUCH:

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice shot!:cool: I've heard those jacks are great eating, but never tried one. How will do cook it up?

Decoy Dan
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Nice job on the Jack.

Dan.

skb20
02-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Very good! Sure hope you acted nonchalant about making that shot... "...shucks - nothin' to it boys... isn't that how yer supposed to do it??" :rof: Man, those things are HUGE --- believe I may have shot smaller deer and antelope faw.... uhh.... veal!!

DUCKDIGGLER
02-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Nice poke bud!

Is that a Hmr. , Rem or Fireball .17 caliber??

Remington model 700? Or a Model 504?

bighonkers89
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice poke bud!

Is that a Hmr. , Rem or Fireball .17 caliber??

Remington model 700? Or a Model 504?

This is a Remington Model 700 (Rem .17) . I'm not too sure if they even make this
gun anymore, but I hear it's one of the fastest at 100 yards.
4040 feet/second or something..

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Diggler. I never even looked at the gun, just assumed it was a .17 HMR. 700 in .17 is very cool bighonkers.

.17 Fireball is the newest thing, but nobody chambers for .17 Remington anymore. Too bad, because the guys who have them swear by them. Factory ammo is rated just over 4,000 fps at the muzzle with the 25gr. bullet. The thoery is that the little .17 bullets are spinning so increadibly fast that there is a sort of majical effect in killing game like lightning. I have an older book and they were shooting wild burro's (donkeys) with the equivalent of a .17 Remington (this was pre-factory offering) and said the .17 killed faster than .30-06 on those 500 lb critters. Not sure I am convinced of that, but that's the claim.

The Rem 700 LVSF and CZ were the last factory offerings in .17 Remington. The LVSF dropped .17 Rem chambering after 2008, not sure about CZ's lineup. It makes no sense this caliber was dropped, considering the resurgence in predatort hunting I think we'll see it come back soon. I know where there's a brand new LVSF in .17 Remington and so far I have been able to keep myself convinced I don't need it. I think 3 of the same gun might be a little much.:rf:

bighonkers89
02-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Wow,
thanks for all that info Baron.
Me and Mike are after the fox/coyotes again in the morning.
We will keep you guys updated.

Tyler

skb20
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=The Baron of Bufflehead;464621]

...... The thoery is that the little .17 bullets are spinning so increadibly fast that there is a sort of majical effect in killing game like lightning. I have an older book and they were shooting wild burro's (donkeys) with the equivalent of a .17 Remington (this was pre-factory offering) and said the .17 killed faster than .30-06 on those 500 lb critters. Not sure I am convinced of that, but that's the claim.

Lots and lots of similar claims like that back through the years, .220 Swift, etc. I had a friend who even bought into the "magic" velocity stuff for awhile... til he got 7 mag bullets going so fast that one of them blew up on the shoulder of an antelope (pronghorn)... and he damn near lost the animal. Heck, I even see guys claiming that ducks and geese somehow magically and instantly die when struck by shotgun pellets... just long as those pellets are going fast enough.

Not raggin' on ya here SIR, just venting a bit of geezerly crankiness.

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Geeze Joe... between super tight chokes and light/high velocity bullets I know exactly what buttons to push in April. Next time you send me over two fences to sit by a lone tree all morning, I will bring up the virtues of Black Cloud, 70 yard shots and shooting only banded geese over lunch.:nn:

skb20
02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Geeze Joe... between super tight chokes and light/high velocity bullets I know exactly what buttons to push in April. Next time you send me over two fences to sit by a lone tree all morning, I will bring up the virtues of Black Cloud, 70 yard shots and shooting only banded geese over lunch.:nn:

Tell ya' what, SIR -- I will go out right now and cut down that one lonely tree so that you will know to proceed another hundred yards or so to the grove where all the turkeys hang out. :OUCH:

Yes, yes indeed, we can discuss all of my very favorite topics, maybe even the critical importance of using HS T shot through a 10 gauge with extended magazine?? Can we, huh, pleeeze??

Tyler, apologies for murking up your thread!! :MS:

kirsch
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't shoot animals much larger than a coyote but for a coyote a .17 Rem it is more than enough gun unless you are shooting them in the butt. I love my 22-250 to death but if I only could use one gun for the rest of my life to shoot coyotes it would be a .17 rem. If I wasn't using 25 or 30 gr Berger Match HPs, my answer would be different. Until you see a coyote hit with this load, you won't believe the magic theory. The speed and perfect expansion is just ideal for a coyote. There is just no way around. A person can kill a coyote with a 50 caliber as well as dead is dead. But if you are looking for a gun that can make a coyote drop stone dead in his tracks up to about 300 yards and if you care at all about fur, this is your gun.

The .17 FB is a pretty good round from what I have heard as well. A bit slower and doesn't fowl the barrel as bad. I shoot molys out of my .17 Rem which seems to help a bit. With the .17 centerfires, velocity is the key as you want to push the 25 grain Berger at least at 3900 fps. If you go lower, the magic starts to fade.

bighonkers89
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
I love my 22-250 to death but if I only could use one gun for the rest of my life to shoot coyotes it would be a .17 rem. If I wasn't using 25 or 30 gr Berger Match HPs, my answer would be different.

Hey Kirsch,
can you email me or post on here what this round looks like. I am going to
Cabelas in Dundee this saturday and was planning on loading up with
"Remington Express Rifle, 17 Remington, 25 gr HP, R17R2" rounds because they are cheaper there than here in Canada.

I'm intersted in the Berger Match HP's. Just send me a link or some kind of picture of the box.

Thanks,
Tyler

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Tyler - you'll need to reload your own to get Bergers in your barrel. Do you do any rifle reloading?

Joe - I can't wait!:TT:

bighonkers89
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Baron - I got no reloading kit. I guess Berger's is out of the question. I'd imagine it is worth thinking about. What do you guys recommend for reloading?

DUCKDIGGLER
02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Tyler....great gun bud....good luck with her!

Baron....I knew that would get your juices flowing buddy....I am suprised you missed that though....you're slippin bud!! LOL

kirsch
02-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Reloading is like asking someone what brand of guns, camoflauge, and decoys should I use to hunt geese. Everyone has an opinion and vary seldom are they the same.

It is pretty safe to say though here are some standards:

Reloading Press and dies: RCBS or Redding
Powder: Varget or IMR options. I personally like IMR 4895 but most like Varget
Primers: Rem 7 1/2

Here is some basic information and includes links to .17 resources for reloading (http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/The+17+Remington). link2 (http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.17remington.html) , link 3 (http://www.coyotegods.com/pagepart15.html)

Now, on to what to buy as reloading isn't something you just pick up as there are a lot of trials and errors along the way. Factory wise, I am only aware of 2 standard rounds to buy off the shelf at most sporting goods stores. Either a Hornady 25 gr vmax or the Remington 25 gr HP. The Hornady has the advantage in speed but if you want to shoot coyotes, I would not recommend the v-max for your .17. I would absolutely shoot the factory Remington .17 rem ammo. I personally haven't shot it but I have shot the v-max and please trust me go with the Remington. The v-max will shoot like a dream and coyote after coyote will run away just like they do with the .204 and lots of small caliber rifle shooting prairie dog ammunition at a coyote.

Bottom line is if you want to shoot coyotes or an animal of this size, you need controlled expansion not rapid expansion with any of these smaller .17, .19, .20 and even .22 caliber rounds. You need to cause internal damage and not an orange size hole on the front side. Typically the less diameter of the opening of the HP means slower expansion. I mentioned Berger in my last post which is a reloading option only. They make lots of .17 bullets but in two types. Match HP and Varmint (MEF) HP. They couldn't give me the MEF ones for free unless I was hunting prairie dogs. In my opinion, they have no place in coyote hunting.

You will grow to love your .17 Rem. It will perform out to 300 yards with enough energy to kill a coyote cleanly and yet not blow the crap out of a fox at 75 yards. The only catch is 25 grains can get pushed around a bit in a heavy crosswind but with the velocity of the .17 Rem, it is pretty close to many .22 centerfire options even in that category. A 25 grain Berger bullet flying at somewhere between 3900 and 4100 fps second is a truely devasting thing to a coyote. This is where the magic lies. The factory Rem, I believe is around 4000 fps and should react similar.

HitmenWaterFowlin
03-02-2009, 07:20 AM
about time you killed something

About time you kill something Tyler...lol just messing with you. Congrats on the jack. All the yote' hunting I have done in the past few years I still have yet to shoot a jack?:up:

Congrats,
Devon