PDA

View Full Version : Kirch, tell me about early signs of Mange???

Cut-um
02-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Korey, I've only seen the middle and later stages of mange while working the streets but what are the early signs of this problem????:hs:

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Your hair falls out and you start gaining weight. Don't worry, I've got it too.:rf:

skb20
02-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Your hair falls out and you start gaining weight. Don't worry, I've got it too.:rf:

Good one SIR, classic. But you did forget the third stage... some patients get an overwhelming urge to rag on kindly, defenseless folks a couple years older than themselves!! :tn:

kirsch
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, I am no expert on mange but I have seen enough cases to know what it looks like.

From my experience mange is usually most prevelant in the leg area, tail, and ears very early on.

If you see a coyotes tail that isn't furred up all the way, check out the legs and if there seems to be some fur missing there, it is a pretty good bet the coyote has mange. Of course as the disease progresses, it eventually covers almost the entire coyotes body. I haven't seen as much mange this year but I did see a coyote about 2 weeks ago that the tail had 0 fur left on it. I had to look twice at the coyote to really believe it was a coyote because it looked like one of this minature hairless dogs except bigger running across the country side.

Humans can get it to0 but it is runs its course fairly quickly. Some basic informaion on mange here (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mange1.html)and many other places on the NET.

Flocknocker
02-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Rich has mange on top of his head and is worried cuz it gets worse every year!!!!!

Cliff

Cut-um
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Guess I set myself up with that one...:ST:

Thanks Korey, the reason I brought it up was the comment you made about mange on one of the yote pics in an earlier thread.:TT:

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Good one SIR, classic. But you did forget the third stage... some patients get an overwhelming urge to rag on kindly, defenseless folks a couple years older than themselves!! :tn:

I'll probably hit stage 3 near mid-April.:rf:

Good thing Korey has a serious answer. We need at least one guy who isn't a perpetual smart-ass, eh Rich?:nn:

kirsch
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, I did say the first picture shown here appeared to be early signs (http://www.flocknockers.com/showthread.php?t=66473) of mange.

Unless because the picture is so dark, you can see about 1/2 way down the tail, there is a very thin spot and then when I looked at the right front leg, there looks to be a fairly bare spot on there as well. It could just be the darkness of the pictures and shadows but it looks like mange to me. Bottom line is if a coyote doesn't look right, it is probably mange.

When they are harvested, a coyote with mange should be covered in gas, burned and burried as one option and there are more but who takes the time to do that. Most sources say after a day or so the mites die and then it doesn't matter but if other coyotes or animals come into contact with the animal shortly after being killed, they will probably get it too.

2labs
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Mange will often start on the heels and tail area, it will be rubbed and chewed on or scabby looking! The tail will look thin of hair and be flakey.

Cut-um
02-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Good thing Korey has a serious answer. We need at least one guy who isn't a perpetual smart-ass, eh Rich?:nn:

Yep Korey is a wealth of information always looking to help a fellow Flocknocker out when it comes to killing Yotes.:hest: He and I spoke on the phone for about an hour and he was more than willing to help a newcomer get started...:TT:

jimfaststeel
03-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Yep, I'll second that on Korey helping out. He's forgotten more on coyote hunting than I'll ever know.:TT:

kirsch
03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
All of you guys are going to make me blush. Someday I hope to live up to the hype or faith you guys seem to have in me. I do what I can and help out when I can. Good hunting.