PDA

View Full Version : coyote breeding and scent question

Ne-ILgooser
03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
So i am wanting to find out if anyone has used a coyote in heat scent for the breeding season with any luck? and if i read right breeding is February/march correct me if i am wrong thanks.

kirsch
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
For ND, mating is typically January into February depending. It can last 2-4 weeks but keep in mind this doesn't mean they aren't paired up any longer. They stay together all year. There is some basic information here (http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/vecase/Behavior/Spring2004/holmberg/Holmberg5.html).

As far as scents, some people swear in cover scents, but a coyote has a nose like a really good dog and many dogs can smell cancer, drugs, etc so a coyote can usually tell a human odor when covered. I would rather not cover myself in some kind of animal urine or scent.

Some try misting which is a technique of putting so many different animal smells out that it confuses a coyote long enough to shoot. Some say it works but I don't use this.

And then there are a few that try to use coyote lures of some type. Even if they work, you still need to get a coyote in range and watch your own scent.

Long story short, I have heard of this, but have never tried. If you position yourself correctly (especially with an electronic call and a remote), and can have a variety of sound options depending on the year between vocalization and distress, the coyote will come to the call and never be downwind of you and the coyote will lay over neatly where it is supposed to without needing to smell some type of smell to confuse it or to lure it. Just my .02 so my wife will live with me and I don't smell like a coyote in heat or some other animal urine.

Ne-ILgooser
03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks i dont want to cover myself in it but use it on a coyote decoy or put it on a cottonball under the decoy as a way to suck em in closer.Where i hunt i can only use the shotgun so most shots will have to be under 50yrds.

kirsch
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
One more comment on a decoy as you mention putting it under a decoy. I am not sure if you are going to try a prey decoy or a coyote decoy. I am becoming more and more convinced a coyote decoy that does not move is worthless although some people will swear by them. Granted if it looked like a coyote and smelled like a coyote that might help somewhat.

A coyote's site is triggered by motion. They did tests with dogs where they put an owner in a line with other random people and the dog could not pick out the owner. As soon as they asked the people to move, the dogs spotted their owners immediately. Sorry for the boring science lesson but I believe it applies. A coyote doesn't recognize a human typically sitting or laying if they stay motionless so why would they recognize a decoy. God created a dog/coyote eyes to be trigged by motion kind of like what people believe about T-Rex's.

I also knew of a hunter that used to paint his electronic call pink on purpose to really get other hunters angry. Because the hunter knew coyotes only see a few basic colors and pink is about as good as many other colors and secondly since the call doesn't move if a coyote sees it, they wouldn't know what it was anyway. It was his way of telling other people to get over the old ways and truely understand what you are after and stop listening to what they say in the popular magazines.

Ne-ILgooser never mentioned the type of decoy so this is more for everyone else using decoys. Make sure they move or coyotes probably will not even realize what they are supposed to be. This is counter-intuitive to the human brain and the human eye but not to a coyote. Sorry NE-IL, I didn't mean to change the thread topic.

Ne-ILgooser
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks korey for all the info, nothing you said is off topic, i'll keep everything you said in mind :TT:

kirsch
03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
It can be as simple as adding a little fake tail to a decoy that sways in the breeze if it doesn't have one already or maybe even a feather attached to a stationary decoy. Anything to create movement. If nothing else, it will draw their attention and that is very helpful.

salthunter
03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks i dont want to cover myself in it but use it on a coyote decoy or put it on a cottonball under the decoy as a way to suck em in closer.Where i hunt i can only use the shotgun so most shots will have to be under 50yrds.
Im no coyote expert, Ive killed a few hundred trapping.
But I did mess with scents and lures. Coyotes react to different smells different times of the year. The same is true with urine. During the breeding season while a paired coyote both a male or female would respond a paired male may not have the same reaction as an unpaired male. The same is true with the female,.. she will respond protecting her territory and maybe run if on the border of her teritroy
to confuse you more: in the trapping industry I new exceptional canine trappers, some of those refused to use in-heat urine during breeding season. Other insisted in using it at times.
My opinion is just that;, and only based on the fact I know a fellow who used very little in heat urine and generally chose not to use in-heat urine, he perferred plain urine from individual animals
Use fox urine and you will have an aggressive territorial reaction