PDA

View Full Version : ethics?

Bardern
07-01-2009, 03:42 AM
there are a couple of packs of yotes close by the house. I managed to call a couple in for the hell of it with no intentions of shooting due to the pups being young.

question is where do you guys stand on shooting this time of year? Would you let the pups mature or am I missing the boat by not controlling a growing population?

AllBusiness
07-01-2009, 04:54 AM
My opinion...I would have started on them during mating/breeding season because they are "easier" to hunt/call in.

With the little guys now...:CF: If the pack is a danger to small kids, pets, live stock...then you know what to do.

I take it the ones that came in were adults? Probably looking for the "food source" for the pups.

AB

The Baron of Bufflehead
07-01-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm not big on the idea of killing a mom and having a den full of pups starve to death. Unless the pack is causing a problem, like AB said, then I'd wait until September. The pups should be on thier own then and you will have plenty of fun calling all those dogs in.

kirsch
07-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Hunting for sport, no, I do not hunt this time of year.

If a farmer/rancher is having a problem with some coyotes, your main concern is not keeping the pups alive. However, killing summer coyotes due to livestock issues always sounds good but may actually have an adverse effect unless the control agent really knows what they are doing. If you kill a few beta coyotes or even one alpha coyote, livestock loses may actually increase because the food supplied to support the pack is threatened. They need the food sources for the pack and to feed the pups and killing one or more sheep may be much easier than tracking down enough smaller food to keep the pack going. So, unless you get both of the alpha coyotes, killing of livestock (especially sheep) may actually increase not decrease.

kirsch
07-06-2009, 08:31 AM
One more comment on calling in coyotes just for fun with no intention to shoot. I realize you did not shoot so the intention may be that this won't cause any issue. Education isn't always confirmed by being shot at. They probably eventually catch the wind of the caller, see movement, or simply bust the set up before the caller ever realizes it. It will be even harder to get a coyote to respond later. Any time a coyote comes to a sound, they are expecting one thing and if something else is there or nothing is there, this will make it even harder to get that coyote to respond again, especially to the same sound. Personally, it may be fun but you are hurting your chances of killing those coyotes again.

Save it for when you wish to pull the trigger for real. One exception may be driving the roads at night or evening trying to pinpoint coyote dens for later in the year. I still don't really do this as if they can hear the howl, they probably heard the truck too, but I could see a person doing this to start to journal coyote dens and locations for their hunts for later in the season. This is far less concerning and may help later.

Flocknocker
07-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't call for fun, but I do shoot every one I can get in the scope anytime I see em. We are covered up with em bad.

Cliff

Bardern
07-08-2009, 07:24 PM
So guys when we hunt coyote you say that out intention should be to hunt to a level where the population is steady to a certain level. for instance the deer hunt where the optimal number of animals are harvested to maintain a healthy population.

Or as a means to keep or take the coyote population down to a level where the impact on livestock and other game animals is lessened? Whack em and stack em like Cliffe? I like your style Boss!

Good point on the education angle Kirsch. concidering the spectacular failure my winter season was I would do well to keep the odds in my favor!

kirsch
07-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I may be way to anal about this type of stuff but coyotes have been poisoned, run down, shot out of planes, trapped, snared and somehow they still spread like rats at times. They have absolutely adapted to everything man has virtually thrown at them. For me, the odds are never in our favor when using standard hunting means but I do what I can increase my chances. This includes not calling from the same spot with the same sound during the same year for sure. Always trying to journal what I used and what worked on stands, and a lot more.

I will admit I carry a gun in the vehicle (uncased which is legal in ND) from mid August until end of March and if a coyote presents a shot, it is going down as Cliff said "Whack em and stack em." But I no issue if someone wants to go out shoot summer coyotes especially if they do it wisely.