PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Turtle (cleaning link)

DIX
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with goose hunting but has anyone ever butchered a snapping turtle?

Was out working on the blind last night and found a big ol boy walking through the weeds. So naturally I took him home. Got him in a big ol tub of water cause I've heard that you need to let em soak and clean out their system for a week or so. After that though.......how in the HELL do I clean the thing? I've eaten them before and they were great but I've never been around when they were cleaned.......

DIX

MarketHunter
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
They're tough to clean, if you don't know the tricks it will take you half a day.

The trick is getting the breastplate off the shell, once that's done it's just skinning and pulling.

Here's a link I saw awhile back that gives a pretty good description with photos:

http://www.thunderbucks.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1151696126/

DIX
08-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow, great link!

Thanks,

dix

Cut-um
08-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Great link indeed, I'm surprised anyone North of the Mason/Dixon line would consider eating my tasty Loggerhead friends.:rf::up::rf:

Redwaters
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Turtle meat is delicious!!!! Great link to that thread that is a fantastic tutorial!!

BeenGoosed2
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Cut --- me and the old man used to set turtle jugs all of the time . . . well north of the Mason Dixon line. Had some of my favorite memories with him doing that. Our neighbor used to save all of the tails for a summer and have a turtle tail fry at the end of the year. good simple times back then.

Cut-um
08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Call me stupid but I thought we were the few sickos that ate them ugly critters, I'm glad to see you guys are just that sick and love the same.:TT: