PDA

View Full Version : How do I call a coyote?

VTgreenhead
10-24-2009, 06:55 AM
We have a real coyote problem where I deer hunt. I want to learn how to call them so I can start cleaning them out. What call is a good call to learn on?

Thanks,
Shaun

Ruff
10-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Fox Pro E caller!

Flipper
10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
I would read the sticky above this thread on getting started!

bighonkers89
10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Kirsh is the man to talk to. He is a super informative guy when it comes to coyote hunting. Throw him a PM.

kirsch
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
I haven't been very active on Flocknocker's as I have been a bit busy as of late. As mentioned by other members, I put a lot of information along with other folks like Baron in the Stick Thread, "Getting Started" as I tended to get the same questions over and over.

The rules of coyote calling are similar to hunting deer for instance. Get as close to the animals as possible without spooking them, don't get winded, try to use the land to your advantange. The principals are the same but it is in the execution and the attention to detail where a coyote hunter is born.

Your basic question is what type of call is good to learn on. I have heard some remarkable callers on hand calls but virtually anyone can blow a rabbit in distress call. My 5 year old daughter can do it. Some can make it sound better than others but this is not goose calling where you need to really be careful how to blow the call. The nastier, and more sick, the more it will probably entice a coyote.

Hand calling can and still is a good option but I rarely do it any more. The main reasons are I now film all my hunts and trying to hide the hunter and camera man with the sound coming directly from where all those guys are is almost impossible. The 2nd reason is with an electronic I can almost pick the spot where I will kill the coyote. I position the call on purpose in a way to allow the coyote a free path to the calls downwind side, where I am waiting to kill it. The coyote typically dies looking at the call and not smelling anything and "pow", he dies. The 3rd reason is there are some sounds you can produce with an electronic that just can't be duplicated by a caller.

Back to your question for hand calls, I have always liked the Sceery AP-6. I think they still make it. There are open reed, closed reeds, and semi closed which is what I would call the AP-6. You can bite down on the lips of the call to change the pitch and it isn't as hard to learn as an open reed call. This call can do everything from mouse squeeks to deep jack rabbit, but it does not howl, or at least I can't make it howl very well.

There are a ton of howlers on the market and I can make even most rabbit calls howl (just not the AP-6), so I don't own a lot of specific howlers. Get one and practice. Here is where electronics come in again. With a good e-caller (and in my opinion there aren't many), you can use actual coyote vocalizations not somebody trying to sound like a coyote. I can go to a stand and say, I will start by sounding like a 2 yr old female coyote checking out if anyone is in the territory, then switch to a territorial challenge, then sound like this coyote is beating up the local packs pups, then sound like a beta member of the pack came to the rescue and got beat up and is in pain, etc. There are calls that can actually speak their language versus the old days where a person goes out and blows a rabbit call and can potentially make 1 or 2 howls and this is all the tricks they have in their arsenal. The only problem is ecallers are getting good enough without people really understanding how to use them and the coyotes are getting more and more conditioned to them as well. This is why I still do some hand calling once in awhile to mix it up a bit.

This is a start and good luck and let me know how I can help.

Final thoughts, get to a spot where you know there are coyotes, get in undetected, make sure the coyotes cannot get downwind of you, get slightly elevated, sound like something a coyote wants to eat, kill, chase out of the territory or mate with, and if one shows up, move as little as possible. If you are lucky enough to kill one, continue calling in case other coyotes are coming as well.

VTgreenhead
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Shaun