PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap!!

Road Runner
10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091028/topstories/canada_novascotia_ns_coyote_attack_died

Unreal

libertychesapeakes
10-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes thats wild.I had a buddy once got surronded by em after dark when he was bow hunting and waiting on his buddy to come pick him up.They showed no fear of him at all and left when they saw the lights of his buddys truck coming up the road.

I damn sure dont understand the advice about caring a knife for protection that was given at the end of the article,especialy if the animal has rabies.Can you not carry a firearm in that park ? I would think bear spray would be more effective and keep some distance between you and the animal in question.

As for me I am thinking a 4 inch .357 would be a better option,but you know us Americans and our pistols.

It is a tragedy for sure and I feel for the young womans family.

kirsch
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
It is an absolute tragedy. I hunt coyotes by moonlight a lot, and it may make me think twice about not caring a shotgun with me. Usually I have someone with me and from now on maybe I always will.

My fear up to now has typically been mountain lions only but now I have something else to think about.

Littman
11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I am also shocked-a full grown woman to boot. As the coyote population increases, we will see more such incidences

Road Runner
11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Not sure if you guys south of the border are seeing the same thing as us but our yotes are growing. Seems as though the average coyote is getting bigger every year up here according to a local pest control legend and yote killer

Hey kirsch
Ever herd of a guy by the name of Darcy Alkerton?

Doubletap
11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
kirsch, any time I call yotes, I have a shotgun with me, my M-2 turkey gun with a 21in barrel goes when I do, around here, wild dogs are more of a problem that packs of yotes, but one never knows

Flocknocker
11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I prefer my Glock 40sw over a shotgun if jumped by a critter in heavy cover. We hunt around allot of thick stuff and a shotgun would be very hard to move well in the brush. We don't hunt the thick but have to walk through it and we call the yotes out of it, chances are if we trouble it will be in the thick and nasty.

Buddy of mine (John) got his arm chewed on pretty good by a yote in the thick and nasty. We killed the yote but it was sure a shocker. No it was not rabid thank God.

We are not seeing any size difference, ours are pretty good size already. What I have noticed most is the fact they pack up so early now. It's like they run in larger packs damn near all year now, very strange. The guys who make mad calls, (Mark and Terry) had a tv show last year where a lone male yote took down a healthy 4x4 or 5x5 whitetail on video. They caught the whole deal, it was flat amazing and if I wouldn't have seen it I would never of believed it, just one yote. Anyone know them guys?? Sure would be kool to get the taped kill.

Need to get the trappers back in the field with a bounty, gun hunters just can't control the populations that well, trappers do very well.

As more City Folk get munched the faster we will get some control, sad!!!! Since they are the ones who have tied our hands to control predators, they have to un-tie em.

Cliff

Road Runner
11-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Need to get the trappers back in the field with a bounty,
Cliff

One of the farms I hunt belongs to what use to be one of the local mayors or reeves:hs: anyways he tried to get a bounty put back on yotes and was getting death threats. In the long run he said it was just to much of a fight to get it done

Doubletap
11-07-2009, 03:33 AM
As more City Folk get munched the faster we will get some control, sad!!!! Since they are the ones who have tied our hands to control predators, they have to un-tie em.

You're right about that Cliff, when the yotes start eating some peoples 1000.00 poodles and stuff, it really changes their minds in a hurry

The Spank
11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Not sure if you guys south of the border are seeing the same thing as us but our yotes are growing. Seems as though the average coyote is getting bigger every year up here according to a local pest control legend and yote killer

Hey kirsch
Ever herd of a guy by the name of Darcy Alkerton?

Roadrunner, what we are experiencing here is hybridization. We are very heavily populated here with "yotes" mixed with Algonquin Park Red Wolves, Timber Wolves and "yote" dog crosses. My buddies in Fort Erie shoot a pile of coy-dogs every winter, some look almost like german shepherds, not hard to tell anywyas when they mix with them. Around here the locals call the yote/wolf mix brush wolves. My buddy got one from the stand I shot my deer out of the day after I got my deer, was pushing around the 70 pound mark. I have seen many around this year like it....hence my new e-caller and rifle for this winter!!

WTRFWLR82
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I prefer my Glock 40sw over a shotgun if jumped by a critter in heavy cover. We hunt around allot of thick stuff and a shotgun would be very hard to move well in the brush. We don't hunt the thick but have to walk through it and we call the yotes out of it, chances are if we trouble it will be in the thick and nasty.

Buddy of mine (John) got his arm chewed on pretty good by a yote in the thick and nasty. We killed the yote but it was sure a shocker. No it was not rabid thank God.

We are not seeing any size difference, ours are pretty good size already. What I have noticed most is the fact they pack up so early now. It's like they run in larger packs damn near all year now, very strange. The guys who make mad calls, (Mark and Terry) had a tv show last year where a lone male yote took down a healthy 4x4 or 5x5 whitetail on video. They caught the whole deal, it was flat amazing and if I wouldn't have seen it I would never of believed it, just one yote. Anyone know them guys?? Sure would be kool to get the taped kill.

Need to get the trappers back in the field with a bounty, gun hunters just can't control the populations that well, trappers do very well.

Cliff

My roomate and I watched a single Coyote attack a 4x4 whitetail in the closed end of the Kootenai Refuge in Bonners Ferry. We tried everything short of shooting it to scare it off, in the end us honking the truck horn, slamming the truck door, and blowing the dog whistle finally annoyed it enough to move on. I have a hard time believing that buck lived though. He had a LARGE peice of his back and shoulder missing due to that Coyote.