PDA

View Full Version : Coyote decoy... What should I use?

goosenoose
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
I saw the sticky in Varmint hunting with Rob and Kirsch's very in depth information on Coyote hunting and I am going to give it a go now that waterfowl is over.

If anyone can shed some light on what type of decoy to use. With or without scent.

Coyote hunting sounds tricky and I am up for the task. I have some spots where they are located and just purchased a rabbit distress call which they say the uglier it sounds the better so I should be great!!! (haha). You guys on Flocknockers are always a help and I look forward to some words of wisdom. Anything will help.

Greg

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure if you mean actual coyote decoy, or a rabbit decoy (etc) for coyotes.

I've never used an actual coyote decoy, but I have seriously considered a coyote silhouette for use in Feb/March. Or maybe even one of those full body ones, although they are a bit pricey. I think either might work well.

My rabbit decoy is just a cheap battery operated wiggly bunny on a platic base. It works well enough, but I've had a couple guys say they just use a turkey feather tied to a stick and it works great. The whole point is just some eye catching movement to keep the coyote's attention off of you, so I don't think it needs to be expensive or fancy. I do find my rabbit is just one more thing to have to carry and so sometimes it gets left in the truck.

goosenoose
12-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I picked up a mojo rabbit and a neighbor did give me a coyote silhouette so I may use one or both. Would you recommend that I use any game (rabbit, etc) or cover up scent?

kirsch
12-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Decoys of all different kinds can work. Some use coyote full body decoys or silhouettes. Others use rabbit, bird decoys or a simple feather on a stick, and some even use crow or raven decoys. They all have their purpose but as Baron mentions, the majority of it is to draw the attention away from you and to the coyote.

If hunting alpha coyotes, coyote decoys work well, but for juvenille or transient coyotes, they tend to keep coyotes off.

I have lots of decoys and take so much stuff into the field already that on about 30% of my stands, I put out a rabbit decoy especially early and late. If coyotes are responding well to territorial vocalization, I will put a coyote out at times as well.

Scents there are lots of articles about this and I just can't bring myself to spray any type of animal urine or other terrible smelling stuff on me. Just like for deer, if you have any type of scent blocker type gear, this is helpful as well as spraying yourself with no-scent type spray. I actually don't wear any and haven't sprayed anything on or near me for coyote hunting in years. I use electronics 95% of the time and if positioned correctly, a coyote should rarely ever wind you. Sounds like you are hand calling, and a coyote spotting and/or winding you are your biggest enemies as the coyote will try to circle your downwind side if at all possible and the minute you make a sound, he will know where you are. Here is where a decoy may help you if it is twitching out in the open and once a coyote comes close enough to see it, stop calling and let the decoy do the work. If you call when the coyote is in sight, it will be glued on you and not the decoy.