PDA

View Full Version : Fox Pro Sounds

Ruff
12-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm getting a Fox Pro Spitfire and they hold 24 sounds what are some of the sounds that are must haves in you're systems?

Thanks for the help!

kirsch
12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
I don't have a FoxPro but if used for coyote hunting, I would for sure have some of the following sounds:

Male Communication Howl
Female Communication Howl
Male Challenge, Territorial & or Aggressive Howls
Female Challenge, Territorial & or Aggressive Howls
Coyote Pup In Distress
Coyote Adult Distress
Various Rabbit Distress
Various Bird Distress
Fawn Distress
Rodent Sound

For me these would be a must and a starting point. If you are limited on sounds and want lots of coyote sounds, the theory is to get more female sounds than male coyote vocalizations as Male coyotes will run off Female and Male Intruders but Females typically only run off Females. So, by using Female vocalizations, your odds are higher as you could be calling in a male, female, or maybe both.

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-13-2009, 02:46 AM
My favorites are:

Female Coyote Bark Howls
Coyote Female Invitation
Coyote Challenge Howl (2 and 3)
Coyote Domain Howl
Coyote Interrogation Howl
Coyote Pup Distress
Ki-Yi
Coyote+Fawn
Cottontail Dist 1
DSG Cottontail
Cals Cottontail
Dying Jack
SnowShoe 1
SnowShoe 2
Fawn Distress
Woodpecker Distress
Rodent Distress
Chirping Coaxer (works great once you have a coyote coming)

Ruff
12-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys for such quick replies and taking the time. I was hoping to get both of yours must haves being the experience that you both have calling song dogs.

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
I'll be pretty humble about my experience... I enjoy hunting coyotes but I'm not even in the same league as kirsch when it comes to trigger time on 'yotes!:pl:

BlueDevil
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Kirsch is like the Google of coyote hunting knowledge! :rof:

jimfaststeel
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I'll second what BlueDevil said.

kirsch
12-16-2009, 07:39 AM
You guys are going to make me blush. I have learned a bit through coyote hunting through the school of "hard knocks". People talk about educating coyotes. Well, I would say the opposite is that coyotes have educated me over the years and school is always in session. There is so much about their behavior and social patterns that I have no clue and at times still feel like a total novice. Unfortunately or fortunately, I have 2 young girls at home that their Dad has a hard time saying goodbye to. Hunting time has decreased due to this and other business matters. I don't see my kids ever becoming hunters as they both have very soft hearts and don't want to see anything killed.

Let's get some chatting going on the site as it has been kind of dead this year so far.

I can start it off by saying the season has been really odd for me this year. I have a hunting friend who I broke into the sport about 5 years ago, and we go out a lot together. He still asks for my advice and what to do and for whatever reason this year, when he does what I recommend it works and when I do the same thing, it hasn't been as effective. It hasn't quite become the student passes up the teacher but he is doing very well.

I like to start hunting in September and last year I actually pushed through until April, but did not hunt hardly at all in February and March due to family commitments. Hunting was good all the way through the season with a typical lapse from about end of our deer season which is end of November through Christmas with it picking up again after the New Years. I started pulling in lots of pack the little I hunted in Feb and March which is fairly typical as I get lots of packs to respond early and late in the season.

This year, it has kind of been the opposite which is very strange. I didn't kill nearly as many coyotes early as I typically do. Hunting has been very tough where I hunt in ND. I believe the main area I hunt has drastically reduced numbers so we went to a new area recently and called coyotes in about 75% of the stands we went on, so it appears some of my lack of success was just due to continuing to hunt an area with reduced populations.

Calling patterns have been fairly typical but up until this last week of hunting almost every coyote was killed with vocalizations being the main calling technique. ND had one of the warmest Novembers ever but on December 1st, our temps dropped from average highs in the 40-50 F range down to below 0 for high temps. It has been sub-zero for more than 1 week with a -28 F actual temp yesterday morning. I wanted to be out so bad as there wasn't a breath of wind and with that cold, the coyotes had to be out. The day I went out last week, we figured distress may start working more and it did. Most of the coyotes were called in with distress being the primary calling sequence.

This isn't always the case so make sure to mix it up, and if calling an area you called before, always remember to try to approach the area from a different direction and try to use different sounds and patterns than what you have used before.

Good hunting and again I am humbled by all your kind words.

beauman
12-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't know if you deer hunt, but the buck grunt, and estrus doe bleat have been deadly! Make sure it's legal! Also, the K-9 pup distress, and the kitten distress.