PDA

View Full Version : Christened the .225

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I kicked off two glorious weeks of vacation today. I loaded the truck and was gone at the first hint of pink dawn on a beautiful but cold morning. I was looking forward to a day of calling dogs but was very disappointed to find out the amount of noise I made walking on the crusty snow was ridiculous. I knew hunting was a waste of time in these conditions if I couldn't get setup more quietly, so I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon doing the rounds. I got to see many of the farmers/landowners I hunt on, and confirmed some new permission as well. I gave out the awesome 2010 calendars I got from Road Runner as Christmas gifts and same as last year they were very well received. I wanted to go and rescue my trail camera from where I deer hunt, so I headed in there about 3pm. I figured if I'm going I might as well suit up and do a stand. I was able to follow a tractor path most of the way and then I cut up the side of a fesh cut corn field. With all the corn on the hard snow I was actually able to move pretty quietly. I setup at the corner of the corn field, with another small plowed field on the other side of the ditch and woods beyond. I turned on the call and couldn't believe my eyes when maybe a minute later a coyote crossed the far corner of the plowed field about 200 yards away. I wasn't able to get on it before it went into the brush and I thought I had blown it. But I mixed up the call and about 2 minutes later she (same coyote?) came back out headed the other way. This time I was ready and when she paused to look at the call my .225 Winchester got it's first kill. 10 hours in the outdoors with no cell phone, a very productive day of farmer-buttering, plus my first coyote of the season with a new-to-me rifle. All in all it was an awesome day!:D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/09-12-1901.jpg

BlueDevil
12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
That's an awesome story Baron! Great to see you posting up some pics of your predator hunts it gets my adrenaline flowing. Can't wait for my caller to arrive and get out there! Keep it up! :TT:

Ruff
12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Nice!

hooked on waterfowl
12-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Way to go Rob, looks like you made a great shot on her from the photo!

mike2355
12-20-2009, 08:37 AM
congrats. I can't wait to get out for some yotes.

jimfaststeel
12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Great job & congrats. :TT:

DUCKDIGGLER
12-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Nice work there Yote-man!! How'd that cartridge work?? Lightning Bolt eh?

DANE-G-RUSS
12-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Congrats on the yote Baron.
Nothing like poppin' a new rifles cherry!:tn:

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-20-2009, 05:11 PM
The gun is mid-80's Winchester M70 with Zeiss 4.5-14x. The .225 is not far behind the .22-250 so it's got plenty of steam for coyotes. This is only my first dog with it, but so far I don't think it's a good fur gun.:rolleyes:

The Spank
12-21-2009, 07:53 AM
WOW!! Nice looking set-up there Rob, I opened the thread and saw the pic andd said OMG what a nice model 70! I didnt realize it was topped off with a zeiss scope! Nice find and great story. Sounds like your yote season is off to a great start, way to go:TT:

Kreller1
12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I'll gladly trade you that rifle for one of my kids. Does dishes, takes out garbage, etc! :D

Congrats Baron!

kirsch
12-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Way to get the year started Baron.