PDA

View Full Version : Got Lucky Again

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Had to take the toddler to daycare this morning but that was fine as I wasn't able to raise myself early anyway. I had a 4am feeding shift for Jr. and went back to bed at 5am - big mistake. I was barely able to get up for 8am.:rolleyes:

I had a liesurely coffee at home then sauntered out for coyotes about 11am. It was a beautiful sunny day and not surprisingly I saw a coyote in a field along the 401, which gave me a good feeling about the day. I did two stands at a public hunting area including a good hike in along a frozen beaver pond. The place is all rock ridges and frozen swamp/pond and my setup back in there looked so great I spent 45 minutes at it, but no customers. I headed back the other way and hit one of my goose farms. First stand was dry then I was sneaking around the downwind side of a block of woods so I could call over the next field and to a new block of brush. I figured there had to be a coyote out mousing in the warm sun at one of my spots, and I was right. Good thing I was being quiet because I caught this big female in the open field. We spotted each other about the same time and she started trotting off broadside. I had my shooting stick ready and I was on her pretty quick. She wasn't alarmed and when she paused to figure out what I was it only took 2.5lbs of effort to seal the deal. The shot was a bit far back, but not bad for a quick 200 yard poke. She went down right away, then got up, did one spin and flopped over dead. Score another for the .225.:D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/09-12-2002.jpg

DUCKDIGGLER
12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice work my man! Looks like that Winny has some serious mojo to it!

Are your nipples getting raw yet form all that feeding??LOL Who loves ya buddy?

AllBusiness
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
That's cool Baron! Perfect shots on both, but..dude, those are not GEESE!

j12goose
12-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice dog. No more deer for her!!!

Did you retire the .222 Mag, or is it just on vacation?

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Actually, I sold the .222 mag. That itch got scratched and new guns are always more interesting (I sold it to a friend and kept first right of refusal if he decides to part with it). My goal is to own/kill something with all the oddball .22 centerfires. I've covered a few but still have a long way to go... still need to do so with a .224 Weatherby, .219 Zipper, .218 Bee, 22 Savage Hi-Power (although I don't care for the 99's so that may never happen). Stupid little quests make guns that much more funner.:rf:

j12goose
12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
You didn't list a Fireball, so I assume that you have that covered????

My pet Fireball load is 16gr of Lil' gun with a 40gr Nosler ballistic tip. It's not a hotrod, but it ain't loud either. Everything is still in plenty of trouble out to 250 yards.

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Damn... yes, .221 Fireball too. Really, I'm barely half-way through my so-called quest.:rolleyes:

So far I have covered:
.22 Hornet
.22 K-Hornet (I'm not planning to cover all the wildcats, but have done this one)
.220 Swift
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.225 Winchester
.22-250

Believe it or not, I haven't done .223 yet. I'm thinking a nice Mini-14 Target with the Hogue stock would work well as a calling gun when multiple doggies respond (can't use AR-15 platform guns for hunting up here:mad:). Oh, and there's .223 WSSM now too.

Clearly, I'm gonna need a bigger wallet and more spare time.:rof:

j12goose
12-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Well, while you are at it..........

.22 Remington Jet
.220 Russian
.219 Donaldson Wasp
.22 CCF

:OUCH: Sorry TBoB, I just couldn't help myself.

I too am a bit ate up with little bores. ;)

The Spank
12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Nice job on the yotes Rob, Looks like that 225 is dialed in well with that Zeiss mounted on it, I'm envious!:D

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
You're killing me Phil.:rof: I might get out of having to get a Donaldson Wasp as I don't think they were ever factor loaded. Forming brass for them is a real PITA from what I hear! Marlin did make a 336 in .219 Zipper - that'd be a neat calling gun.

As a footnote to the coyote hunt, I just put that dog on the scale. She came in at 37 pounds - pretty stout for a female.