PDA

View Full Version : Never Forget A Mouse Squeek

kirsch
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I have answered a few posts but haven't started many posts this season on Flocknockers.

I wanted to emphasize something that happened to me lately. I have been preaching the praises of a mouse squeeker to people for years. When I used to hand-call almost all the time, it was one of the main ways for me to draw a coyote into shooting range while trying to keep the coyote from winding me. There were too many times to count where a coyote was hanging up or trying to wind me that once the coyote heard the mouse squeek, their angle changed and they stopped trying to wind me and came right in.

My electronic call, although a great call with lots of sounds, had a mouse/vole squeek that just didn't work for me, so I quit using this technique when I moved to electronics. I just got some new sounds for the call and one was a deer mouse sound and as soon as I heard it, it sounded like the lip squeek or bulb squeek I used successfully for so many years. So, I have included a bit of a clip from my last hunt. It is last light and I had to crunch it down so it wasn't so big and I know it is a bit blurry. Also, since I video and hunt for Drury Outdoors and they will have copyright to it, I will only show a little bit.

The link to download the clip can be found here:
http://www.laketrax.com/ftp/Coyote_Demo.wmv

There are a couple of key learnings from this clip. First, the part you will not be able to see is this coyote started to try and wind the call. Luckily with the electronics off to my right and forward about 100 yards and the wind is blowing across my body, right to left and out to the lake this was unlikely. It is possible this coyote would eventually wind us but not without crossing way past the downwind side of the call. However, with the way this coyote was looping around, I was starting to wonder.

Then this coyote does what ever hunter fears. it sits down at about 600-700 yards. This is where I have seen many hunters become unglued. One thing you will notice is the coyote looks back (20sec.). I was playing a coyote fighting sequence and this coyote is looking back to see if he is being backed up by the pack as this is the alpha male. We never did see the other coyotes but we know they were there. He was probably going to wait for the pack or just wasn't interested in the fight. We were running out of light so I had little choice as I needed to get him in fast.

This is when I decided to try out the new sound (old technique). Up to this point, this coyote had heard a fawn, coyote fight, fawn pattern. Watch this coyote the second this sound comes on (which you won't hear) at 31seconds, as he tilts his head left and right trying to pick up the sound and then he no longer tries to work around, he takes a straight path right for the call. He also keeps tilting his head to the left/right trying to pinpoint the sound. It is the simplest of strategies but one that works so often. This coyote died 30 seconds or so after the clip ends.

http://www.laketrax.com/ftp/Coyote.jpg

Didn't have the digital, so had to pull a frame grab from the very late video image. This was a very large male coyote and a nice end to a great hunt as I had harvested 2 other coyotes earlier in the day on back to back stands.

Anyway, it was a hunt to reinforce the importance of the mouse squeek. Without switching to this sound, I don't have a lot of faith this mature coyote would have come into range in time if at all.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Great tip Korey. I think we all far underestimate how sensitive a coyote's hearing is. Also, the importance of switching up sounds can't be understated to shake loose those hung-up dogs (including the ones the hunter hasn't even seen yet;)).

BlueDevil
01-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Sweet tip Korey! I can't wait to try the mouse squeak on my new caller. Hopefully it arrives next week, kinda getting ansi! LOL!