PDA

View Full Version : Meet "Slim"

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I have been debating a coyote decoy for a while, but didn't want to lug a full body around. So I decided to purchase a Montana decoy and give it a try. I figure this might help me out, especially come breeding/territorial time. A few howls and if they peek out of the thick stuff and see him in the field they just might show themselves. I often wonder how many coyotes I call and never see because there is so much damn bush to hide in around here.

It's a pretty slick system. The decoy is double sided material, stretched over a folding spring-wire frame. Here it is folded for transport (fits easilly in my backpack).
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/MontanaCoyote1.jpg

And here he is setup in my front yard.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/MontanaCoyote4.jpg

I'm going to have to get a buddy to take a picture over my shoulder of me aiming at Slim. I figure if he's out at 50 yards or so it might look real. Will be fun to try.:rf:

Anyway, say hello to "Slim".:TT: I hope to give him a try soon.

hooked on waterfowl
01-04-2010, 06:45 PM
That looks pretty good to me Rob, I don't know anything about Coyote hunting but I'd guess Slim will probably fool some coyotes for you.
Wish I had more time and money to get into it.Looks very challenging and the thought of outwiting them is what gets me most interested.
I always enjoy reading your stories of coyote hunting. Hopefully I can some equipment this year and give it try.

The Spank
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Looks like a good idea to me, kep us posted and dont be afraid to show us a bullet hole in Slim should you ummmm, slip up!!:OUCH:

kirsch
01-05-2010, 11:00 PM
The main problem with virtually all coyote decoys is they don't move. Well one like this might wiggle a bit in the wind. Coyotes eyes are triggered by movement. This is why if a coyote hunter sits virtually motionless, they struggle picking you out. If a decoy doesn't move, can they see it any better than they can see you? They also don't see color as we do so all that pretty paint that looks like a coyote to us with all the shading probably looks like a dark blob to a coyote.

I have used coyote decoys. At times I thought they worked and at times thought they didn't, and at times thought they hurt me more than helped me. It didn't make enough of a difference for me to put one out most of the time. I have more faith in a distress type decoy.

Put a tail on that thing that blows in the wind or anything and I believe it would help. I haven't given up on coyote decoys as it may draw some attention away from you but beyond that I am not sure. Let me know how it goes for you. A hunting associate of mine puts a hanging ball of fur in the mouth of a full-body coyote and swears by it. With any wind it wiggles around while hanging from the coyotes mouth. This to me would work but again why carry all that extra stuff into the field. Not trying to burst your bubble Baron and let me know if it seems to really help as I am always looking for another edge.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tips Korey.:TT: I'll see if I can add a tail to Slim and maybe that will help get him noticed. Maybe our Ontario coyotes will respond differently so I'll give him a try and see. I guess if he doesn't work I can at least have some fun shooting at him like Frank suggested.:rf:

kirsch
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Baron, don't get me wrong I have a sillohoutte and a full body coyote decoy as well so it isn't that I don't think there is a time and place for them but always looking for a way to allow some of this to work better than it seems to.

It is kind of like camo for coyote hunters. We look at what blends well with our eyes where a coyote sees totally differently but I haven't been a coyote so we have the limited research out there to go on. Camo is made more for hunters than for the animals. We sure do feel special though decked out in our latest camo patterns when we go hunting. I have a camo company for a sponsor of mine so I can't say a whole lot but you understand what I am saying. Let me know how it goes.

Just an FYI, I have had some guys take a silo type decoy out with them to a stand. While they going out to the field they spotted a coyote. They put the decoy in front of them and literally ran around loping like a coyote with the crazy thing in front of them. They claim it was a huge magnet and the coyote came right in SO MAYBE WE ALL NEED TO LOPE INTO AND OUT OF FIELDS. ;)

BlueDevil
01-07-2010, 08:02 PM
HAHAHA! You even named it, that's awesome! :pl: