PDA

View Full Version : Done In 12min's!!!!!!

BlueDevil
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
So this morning I took the Mighty Atom out for a spin and decided to hit up one of our friend's fields. It was a pea field that we've used on numerous occasions for goose hunting which borders a couple of pastures our friend owns. We've field-dressed birds out there in the past and the remains are usually gone by the next morning plus we've seen lots of coyotes in the area over the years. Instead of walking to the spot I convinced my dad to drive me to where I wanted sit, afterall I mainly just wanted to get out and try the different sounds of the call. I had set up the caller maybe 50 yards away towards the direction where I was expecting a coyote to appear from (pull them out of the pasture and into the pea field) so I ran one of the rabbit in distress calls for a couple of min's and a coyote appeared from the opposite direction, he was jogging towards the call so for some reason I switched to a mouse squeaker call (obviously I'm a newb at all this) and he took off full sprint towards the caller (I was thinking to myself, that was a dumb idea!!!!! what do I do now?). I had to either get him to stop or shoot him on the run. He got to the point of no return and he was about to run by me (if he didn't see me in the bushes he would have eventually winded me) so I decided to shoot instead of getting him to stop. The shot itself was less than 20 yards and the 22-250 with .55gr VMax did it's job!

The funny part was, my dad dropped me off at 10:12am (I told him, give me till 12 noon and we'll see what happens he was going to go and visit our buddy). After he drove away I set up the call and got my spot ready and proceded to call. After I shot the coyote I had called him on my cell phone to tell him I got one and to pick me up, by the time he drove back into the field to pick me up it was 10:24am. So everything probably happened in less than 10min's. I just can't believe the response I got from the coyote I think I'm still in shock and awe as I type this! :rof:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2010%20Varmint%20and%20Predator%20Pics/IMG_0799.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2010%20Varmint%20and%20Predator%20Pics/IMG_0801.jpg

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Well I'd say that worked!!:eek: Is that a smirk on your face in the second photo? :rof: Congratulations!

I'll bet you're hooked now. I figured you'd do well, living there in the flatland where the coyotes roam thick, but 12 minutes just doesn't seem right - it took me a full season and about 30 stands to even see my first 'yote here in Craptario. I think you need to endure more suffering before you will really appreciate the challenge that coyote hunting is supposed to offer.:rf:

So let's see... 1 hour divided by 12 minutes = 5 x $20 bounty/coyote = $100 hour... (tax free I might add!) Keep it up and you might be able to quit your day job. Oh, and I'll be coming to live in your basement if you get anymore that easy.:TT:

Flipper
01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Cool, can't wait to get my MA-21!

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Jeff... if you get your MA-21 and shoot a coyote on your first stand with it, then I'm definitely going to buy one... and get it shipped express!!:rof:

The Spank
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Way to go BD, heck you didnt even have time to get cold!:TT:

Duckjunky
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Correct me if Im wrong but looks like $20.00 on four legs!!! Sweet picts!!

kirsch
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM
BlueDevil, Ok I recommended the call but didn't expect you to kill one in the first 12 minutes. Congratulations.

I don't mean to switch to commenting on fine tuning your technique after you are 1-1 (as it doesn't get any better than this) but the mentor in me can't help it.

Tips:
Using a mouse squeek is great but as you pointed out, I don't use it if a different sound is working while the coyote approaches unless a coyote hangs up on me. If they are coming nice and steady with a rabbit, there is no need to change up. Let them continue to come until you need to stop them.

If a coyote is busting down on you, one of the best ways to stop them, as I can't hit crap on the run, is just yell at them. Just say Haaaay, really quick and fairly loud and a coyote will usually put on the breaks and offer a nice standing shot. Some guys whistle and do other things but any type of startling noise should work. A howl or bark works but usually I don't like fiddling with a call or moving so yelling usually works best. Very rarely have I ever busted a coyote doing this and even if they do take off, they are still running just like before.

No problem getting your Dad back but if I would have killed one that quick, I would have continued the stand as you might have as well. Probably a little more distress like you were doing, and then switch to a coyote vocalization (probably like a female challenge), followed by a coyote fight, and then adult coyote distress (KiYi's). There was likely other coyotes in the area. You might have done this but just stressing the importance. It must have been hard not to jump up and down and screem when you get a coyote on your first stand but where there is one, there is often a lot more.

Again, great job, and keep the good reports coming and hopefully I haven't overstepped my bounds by adding some additional tips to your great report.

BlueDevil
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Well I'd say that worked!!:eek: Is that a smirk on your face in the second photo? :rof: Congratulations!

I'll bet you're hooked now. I figured you'd do well, living there in the flatland where the coyotes roam thick, but 12 minutes just doesn't seem right - it took me a full season and about 30 stands to even see my first 'yote here in Craptario. I think you need to endure more suffering before you will really appreciate the challenge that coyote hunting is supposed to offer.:rf:

So let's see... 1 hour divided by 12 minutes = 5 x $20 bounty/coyote = $100 hour... (tax free I might add!) Keep it up and you might be able to quit your day job. Oh, and I'll be coming to live in your basement if you get anymore that easy.:TT:

I think I am hooked! I did go ice-fishing a couple of times in the last two weeks and pretty much got skunked, when I think about whether to go ice-fishing or coyote hunting right now coyote hunting takes the cake hands down! (though I will be making an ice fishing trip up to a northern lake but that's for another forum, LOL). Hahaha, is it even possible to shoot 5 coyotes a day? I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. I'm actually waiting for pops to show up as we're going to try and set up again. Now that we got the first one under our belt we can exert more patience!

I'm just hoping to get good clean shots and 'yotes with this caller, didn't expect them to be that close, otherwise I would have brought the shotgun with me, LOL :rof: But I doubt that's going to happen for awhile for me it's probably best I bring the 22-250 instead. Btw, we got tons of room in the basement, LOL!

BlueDevil
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
BlueDevil, Ok I recommended the call but didn't expect you to kill one in the first 12 minutes. Congratulations.

I don't mean to switch to commenting on fine tuning your technique after you are 1-1 (as it doesn't get any better than this) but the mentor in me can't help it.

Tips:
Using a mouse squeek is great but as you pointed out, I don't use it if a different sound is working while the coyote approaches unless a coyote hangs up on me. If they are coming nice and steady with a rabbit, there is no need to change up. Let them continue to come until you need to stop them.

If a coyote is busting down on you, one of the best ways to stop them, as I can't hit crap on the run, is just yell at them. Just say Haaaay, really quick and fairly loud and a coyote will usually put on the breaks and offer a nice standing shot. Some guys whistle and do other things but any type of startling noise should work. A howl or bark works but usually I don't like fiddling with a call or moving so yelling usually works best. Very rarely have I ever busted a coyote doing this and even if they do take off, they are still running just like before.

No problem getting your Dad back but if I would have killed one that quick, I would have continued the stand as you might have as well. Probably a little more distress like you were doing, and then switch to a coyote vocalization (probably like a female challenge), followed by a coyote fight, and then adult coyote distress (KiYi's). There was likely other coyotes in the area. You might have done this but just stressing the importance. It must have been hard not to jump up and down and screem when you get a coyote on your first stand but where there is one, there is often a lot more.

Again, great job, and keep the good reports coming and hopefully I haven't overstepped my bounds by adding some additional tips to your great report.

I think I must have had coyote fever and panicked! I've seen several coyote hunting dvd's and they yell/bark/whistle etc. etc. to get the coyote to stop, in my mind I wanted to do these things but may have been in shock that a coyote showed up within a few min's of first turning the call on everything just happened so fast!!! I think I'm good to go now I just have to remember to take a few deep breaths before turning on the call and expect the unexpected!

By all means Korey if I post up something and you feel there is something that you add to my future coyote hunting successes by all means please share it with me/us. You were the one that recommend this call to me and have given me numrous advice on here or by email in the past I greatly appreciate it!

Mark

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I think I must have had coyote fever and panicked! I've seen several coyote hunting dvd's and they yell/bark/whistle etc. etc. to get the coyote to stop, in my mind I wanted to do these things but may have been in shock that a coyote showed up within a few min's of first turning the call on everything just happened so fast!!! ...

This describes exactly how I feel most times when I have a coyote coming - it's hard to think clearly and remember the lessons learned. But that adrenaline rush is what keeps me coming back for more!:Bn:

DANE-G-RUSS
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Blue Devil congrats on you're first hunt with the new caller. :TT:
I've been thinking about investing some "more" money into 'yote hunting.
Another 12 min. hunt and you sold me! :pl:

kirsch
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I think I'm good to go now I just have to remember to take a few deep breaths before turning on the call and expect

These are very true words. This still happens to me at times where you rush in and get set up and before you are really ready the sound is playing or I start to blow on the call and then I think, AM I REALLY READY? Did I load my gun, is the call in the right spot to make sure a coyote won't wind me, can I see my downwind side, did I give the coyote a way to get to the call in a natural way, do I have a squeeker ready if I need it, and the list goes on and on. After awhile most of these things will just become second nature, but it is always good to just sit for a few seconds and go over your process and make sure you are ready to go so when the coyote does come barreling over the hill, you can be as focused as possible.

As Baron said, it still gets my heart pumping every time or I wouldn't do it any longer.

hooked on waterfowl
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Way to go Bluedevil, very impressive.You guys are killing me with this coyote hunting. I'm reading all your stories and I'm about to put myself in debt buying all the right equipment.Looks like alot of fun and something to do in the off season of waterfowling and turkey hunting.

BlueDevil
01-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Way to go Bluedevil, very impressive.You guys are killing me with this coyote hunting. I'm reading all your stories and I'm about to put myself in debt buying all the right equipment.Looks like alot of fun and something to do in the off season of waterfowling and turkey hunting.

I think I've found my new addiction! LOL! :rof: I've been re-reading my old Predator Xtreme magazines! LOL!

bighonkers89
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Nice job, congrats !!