PDA

View Full Version : Fool me once...

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
It seems so much harder to get out now with 2 kids in the house, but I did the best I could on the weekend.:rolleyes: Went out Saturday afternoon. Did one dry stand (not even tracks) at one farm, then dropped by a friend/farmers place to give him a couple coyote calls. Ended up helping him build some shelves, going out the feed the deer... didn't get back on track for my last stand until sunset. I was going in there and saw a coyote but she (?) busted me before I could get a shot. There were plenty of tracks around and I was kicking myself for coming in so late as it was too dark to do a good setup. But I had a plan to try and catch her in the same place today... and it worked.

I couldn't get away until late afternoon and I got to my spot around 3:30pm. I figured I hadn't spooked that coyote too bad yesterday and maybe they were using these fields in the afternoon. I snuck in very carefully, staying behind cover and glassing the fields carefully as I approached. Good thing I was on high alert because I just caught a glimpse of this coyote coming up the fence line I was on, and right toward me! When I saw her she was only 150 yards out so I eased down to my knees behind a big mound of dirt all grown over with weeds. I had to slide over on my knees a bit to get a clear shot at about 20 yards. I didn't dare slide over any further so I peeked over the mound and confirmed she was still coming. There was a 10-15mph crosswind so I figured just let her come - this was gonna be close! A couple seconds later she showed up and I was wishing I had a shotgun. She made me at about 20 yards and swapped ends, but I just stood up and whacked her on the run at about 40 yards. She wasn't a big one by Ontario standards, tipping the scale at 28#. She had a nice hide but unfortunately the .204 put a fist sized exit hole on her side and literally blew the guts out of her. I carried on and did a stand for sundown, but nobody else showed up. I did find a spot where the coyotes have been laying up under some overhangs in the brush/dirt mounds that were leftover when the farmer cleared out a bunch of fence. The place was plastered with tracks and there were also a few beds on the mounds where they probably sun themselves during the day. From there they can watch field back toward the road and I'll bet I've been busted more than once by a lookout up there. Now I know to stop at the road and glass those mounds before turning off the paved road and driving the 1/2 mile along the field edge to where I usually park.

So the coyotes are around... I wish I could put some full days in! But then again I'd need an undisturbed night's sleep to last a whole day and I haven't had one of them since November 27th.:up:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/10-1-1002.jpg

Maineman
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice,,,

hooked on waterfowl
01-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Way to Go Again Rob, your definately having a great season.

BlueDevil
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Congratulations Sir Baron! Awesome story and great job on taking her down! What were you using for calling sequences? I'm going to try and head off first thing in the morning again, the temps here have changed they are calling for like +3 degree weather, OMG! :TT:

WTRFWLR82
01-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Awesome job Baron! I'm still waiting to connect with my first 'yote. haha

The Spank
01-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Way to go Rob, now if you just load those loads a "little hotter" you might find they do a complete skinning job for you instead of just one side.:rf::p

The Spank
01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Congratulations Sir Baron! Awesome story and great job on taking her down! What were you using for calling sequences? I'm going to try and head off first thing in the morning again, the temps here have changed they are calling for like +3 degree weather, OMG! :TT:

Mark if I read the story right he never got as far as turning the call on. He just carried it in and put it in the pics for the "professional" look.:rof::D

DANE-G-RUSS
01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Baron you're sure putting the smack down thus far. Congrats :TT:
Too bad that bullet busted a hole through her, she's got a pretty nice looking coat.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Mark if I read the story right he never got as far as turning the call on. He just carried it in and put it in the pics for the "professional" look.:rof::D

Bingo - my ninja approach got me this one. Yup... a 6'4" 270lb ninja.:rof:

I'm really not sure why I put the call in the pic. Maybe I'm secretly dreaming of a pro-staff gig for FoxPro.:hs:

kirsch
01-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Sure Baron, you have tried to convince me there are very few coyotes in your area. If I am counting right this is the 2nd time you have been on the stand or on the way to the stand and coyotes just moved in on you :)

Of course, I am just kidding you and glad you smacked another one. Your biggest challenge seems to be which cool gun you are going to take out each day. To bad a guy can't hunt everyday, so we could all just take a different one each day of the week. :D

It has been a few years since I had the infant's keeping me up at night but I can relate. Just tell the wife on the next full moon sequence that you will take the first shift and after getting your little one settled down during your shift, then head out hunting as long as you are awake. Sleep is optional this time of the year. :eek:

Marshwalker
01-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Nice Baron! when you coming to Kansas for a goose and coyote combo hunt?

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice Baron! when you coming to Kansas for a goose and coyote combo hunt?

Oh man I'd love to do that!:TT: Not in the cards just yet though, with a 2 year old and a 2 month old in the house. Maybe in a couple years though.:D