PDA

View Full Version : Fox hide help.

yallerlab
01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Years ago I shot a fox and had the hide tanned. The taxidermist apparently
let the thing dry with the head all wadded-up and the ears are kinda
gnarly. My 7 and 5 year-old boys were looking at it and said it had to be fixed!
What can I wet it down with to soften them and straighten 'em out? Can't complain, though,
he did it for free while he was doing a deer mount for me, and he's swamped that time of year.
Since we don't have a taxidermy forum, I figured I would post this here.

salthunter
02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Depending on they type of tanning. most can be made wet or soaked then streatched to shape . however left alone most will slightly shrink and the leather will feel harder untill tumbled ( which will wrincle the ears)
I would just leave it if the kids play with it

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-14-2010, 05:38 PM
If the cartilage was left in the ears they will be hard and kinda scrunched up. not sure if there's a cure for it, but my coyote pelt has that problem.

yallerlab
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. I don't know what kind of tanning process and the cartilage probably is still in there. I skinned it and didn't take it out. The
taxidermist fleshed it and I doubt he removed it. I'll just leave well enough alone, I guess.

taximan
11-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Sounds like the hides not tanned at all, usually if tanned u can place a wet paper
towel in the ear canal and see if it softens up.
if it does put paper towels soaked with water in ear until u can reverse them skin
side out. revert ears back , get some bondo and a tongue depressor, put some in
put a paper towel at base so it doesnt leak out and push the filler around the ear edges
and feather them out and cup them like a ear . do both ears and let them dry up.
that will retain shape for years. but, dont put too much hardener in bondo so u have
time to work it around .
good luck
tim