PDA

View Full Version : Last Check...

Maineman
01-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I was about finished trapping for the year and figured that this was a good way to finish up...I still have coons and beaver to put up so the season is not over...Just the fun part..

Besides, we still have Geese in PA and Ducks in Maryland to chase...

Dave Z

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/Maineman19382/2009-10026.jpg

The Spank
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
You da man when it comes to catching foxes, way to go!!:)

salthunter
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Cool looking bastard
Have you caught any silvers or blacks? Are they native to your area? or mixed with wild ranch stock?
Appears as if your in some soft and dry ground
Ive only caught one of the darker phases, I sort of miss my trapping days, I know I cant do it like I did

Maineman
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Cool looking bastard
Have you caught any silvers or blacks? Are they native to your area? or mixed with wild ranch stock?
Appears as if your in some soft and dry ground
Ive only caught one of the darker phases, I sort of miss my trapping days, I know I cant do it like I did

Hey Salthunter...So you're a fellow trapper...(very cool) ....They are both typical red fox that is common across America...We (here in SE PA) are known for what's called "FROST" which generally is on the rump of the fox (sometimes refered to as salt & pepper)...It generally grades the fox down from what I would get fro a "Cherry red" ...

The ground is frozen pretty good with temperatures not getting above 32 degrees for the past couple weeks...(Makes putting Silos tought also) :) I will take dry and cold over wet and sloppy anyday,,,

krat
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Very cool !
Where's all your snow ?

Bones
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I still have coons and beaver to put up so the season is not over...Just the fun part..

Great shot of the dog and the pair!
And yup -BEAVER = FUN!:rf:
Bones:D

Maineman
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Very cool !
Where's all your snow ?

Krat, we got our quota for the year and I don't want any more...:) The western side of the sate is still covered with 7 to 10 inches...

salthunter
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Maineman;462670]Hey Salthunter...So you're a fellow trapper...(very cool) ....They are both typical red fox that is common across America...We (here in SE PA) are known for what's called "FROST" which generally is on the rump of the fox (sometimes refered to as salt & pepper)...It generally grades the fox down from what I would get fro a "Cherry red" ...QUOTE] Is that a salt and pepper or a black and silver frost? The pic look like a light black mask and mixed rump
Frost on our pales use to be a funky white. I use to catch these big pigs along the ND/Canada border with a white frost. When Pales were in I had one that went $150 on the auction and a bunch at $120.
I trapped mostly full-time from 76-89, fox, mink, and beaver. sometimes a short western line for coyotes..
Gerald Schmitt was my business partner , sold him my lure line and the remainder of the trap supply business when I moved to Washington . I had tinkered with videoing,.. My brother made a bunch of trapping tapes/DVDs,... ( Ron Hauser)
I kind of miss it ,.. but I know I couldnt do 1/2 of what I use too. One year a partner and I ran over 500 coyote and fox traps together, for fun.
I ve run 525 trap mink lines by myself.

Maineman
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE] Is that a salt and pepper or a black and silver frost? The pic look like a light black mask and mixed rump
Frost on our pales use to be a funky white. I use to catch these big pigs along the ND/Canada border with a white frost. When Pales were in I had one that went $150 on the auction and a bunch at $120.
I trapped mostly full-time from 76-89, fox, mink, and beaver. sometimes a short western line for coyotes..

Gerald Schmitt was my business partner , sold him my lure line and the remainder of the trap supply business when I moved to Washington . I had tinkered with videoing,.. My brother made a bunch of trapping tapes/DVDs,... ( Ron Hauser)
I kind of miss it ,.. but I know I couldnt do 1/2 of what I use too. One year a partner and I ran over 500 coyote and fox traps together, for fun.
I ve run 525 trap mink lines by myself.

Definitely salt…I too trapped the fur boom of the late 70’s and into the 80’s…Then the bottom dropped out of the market around 1989-1990…I tell people that I’ve caught $60 fox and $6 fox…Today you do this because you love it…Gerald is still in the trapping game running a supply business online at http://www.schmittent.com/ …I did see him from time to time at a convention or two…500 traps is allot of work and something that I admire but don’t want to do…Wouldn’t want to be the skinner on that line…I run between 60 and 125 traps and catch between 100 and 200 fox a year running part-time…Always glad to heard from a fellow trapper…Take Care…Dave Z

Lujack
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
I used to trap gophers for the local church when I was a kid. I got payed one dollar per gopher. I had so much fun doing that, and the anticipation of checking the trap was awesome. I was on cloud 9 when there was a impaled gopher on the trap. I could always tell the second I tugged on the trap line. If it pulled easy, there was nothing. If it required a little extra effort I was "getten' rich quick".

I was way too good at it, though, and I trapped myself out of business. I quit trapping in about 1979. When I was nine years old, I didn't realize there was so much more to the game or I would have been all over it.

salthunter
01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I,.... I got payed one dollar per gopher. I had so much fun doing that,,..... Much of Idaho still pays $1.00 per gopher:rf::rf: