PDA

View Full Version : Go Figure

hooked on waterfowl
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
I've been out a couple of times for coyotes with no luck at all and not much confidence either.
Well on Monday I was at work, our property boarders with alot of bush and cattails. I was inside having my lunch and I look up and not even 50 yards away there's a beauty of a coyote just standing there in the open looking around. Wish I had a camera to get a picture this guy. He was almost black in colour. Anyway I still thought it was pretty cool to see, hopefully this year or next year I'll get a chance at one not in city limits.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Black one huh? Nice! Just a little teaser from the coyote gods, to keep you interested Pat.:D

I have been having zero response to calling lately, so don't get discouraged. Not sure if it's the warm weather, but I know on one property it's got a lot to do with the 400# cow that they cleaned off in 48 hours.:eek: The dogs there aren't hungry at the moment, but there sure must be lots of them.

If you're not having any luck, take a break and save some energy for the cold days of February. Breeding/terrirorial season is coming up and the cold weather should improve their interest in distress sounds.

hooked on waterfowl
01-20-2010, 03:46 AM
Black one huh? Nice! Just a little teaser from the coyote gods, to keep you interested Pat.:D

I have been having zero response to calling lately, so don't get discouraged. Not sure if it's the warm weather, but I know on one property it's got a lot to do with the 400# cow that they cleaned off in 48 hours.:eek: The dogs there aren't hungry at the moment, but there sure must be lots of them.

If you're not having any luck, take a break and save some energy for the cold days of February. Breeding/terrirorial season is coming up and the cold weather should improve their interest in distress sounds.I shouldn't of said black in colour but alot darker in colour than most of seen.

kirsch
01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Baron, I would have to look if I posted this last year or not but it definitely seems like for some reason, this time of year, when a person would think prey distress would work the best, it doesn't work at all.

We snuck on 4 coyotes on Sunday and got to within 400 yards and softly did a few rabbit squalls, and you would have thought someone shot at them as they bolted so quickly the other direction, you could almost see smoke coming out of them. When the winter is tough, why they don't want that, I am not sure. Some will say it is hunting pressure/conditioning or something but this has been the case from late December through late January the last few seasons. I use a lot more coyote vocalization right now and it seems to pay off. Just FYI to try this if nothing else is working.

bighonkers89
01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Keep at it Pat.. I'm going to try this weekend myself, comin home from school.. what do you got for gear and ecallers?

Ty

hooked on waterfowl
01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Keep at it Pat.. I'm going to try this weekend myself, comin home from school.. what do you got for gear and ecallers?

TyI have no gear or ecaller. So I'm not to prepared, kinda like my first year of waterfowling.LOL. I'm using my brothers rifle for now.Between now and next year I'll be ready. I'm just gonna use a mouth diaghram for now and hope I get lucky.Sitting at home inside is driving me nuts.

kirsch
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love e-callers and it is just about all I use currently but a lot of coyotes get killed every year with mouth calls. The biggest tournament in ND was just won by 2 guys that never turned on an electronic during the entire tournament. You don't need $1000 worth of stuff to hunt coyotes. $10 call, a gun that shoots good, a few bullets, and you can go after it. When you get addicted like I am, then you start to spend the bigger money.

hooked on waterfowl
01-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks Korey, that does sound like pretty good advice. I'll just try and get decent on a mouth diaghram. I feel confident using them turkey hunting, just got to learn how to do a good rabbit squel.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-21-2010, 04:26 AM
IMHO, with the small farms and blocks of bush we have around here it only takes a few trips with the ol' e-caller and success drops right off. I have seen a notable pattern where my first trip or two to any given spot seems like a high chance for calling a coyote, but after the 3rd or 4th trip I don't see anything. For sure 9 times outta 10 coyote hear that call and either don't come or come and go unseen and I think they learn very fast to recognize those sounds as fake because I'm calling to the same coyotes each trip.

With a short list of spots I'm feeling much less confident in my $500 caller so I've got a few hand calls coming and will see if that changes my luck. In fact there's another guy from Ontario on another forum and he is slaying them with hand calls (I think he's shot like 10 already this season!) so having "only" a hand call or two is in no way at all a handicap.