PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes

BlueDevil
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm in the market for some snow shoes. Any recommendations? Kirsch mentioned in another post that the newer style shoes are louder? Thanks in advance!

Mark

kirsch
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
First, I am not a snowshoe expert. I have worn mine a total of 2 times and got tired of putting them on and taking them off all the time and trying to cross fences, etc. My feelings are a bit biased but if I needed to wear snowshoes, it usually meant the coyotes can't move a whole lot either. I realize people need to wear them for late season pheasant hunting walking rushes, etc where it is really soft and there are times I wished I had a pair on but overall if I can't get to where I am trying to go then calling will be tough.

The older style snowshoes that look like tennis rackets are usually wood and they dont' echo or make as much noise as the newer style metal ones. The newer ones are lighter etc so in the end still may be a better option.

The Spank
02-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I snowshoed lots as a kid on the old wooden style shoes. That was all that was available at one time. I was looking at the new aluminum style one day a few years ago and the salesman at the store said go find some good used wooden ones. He claimed the new ones had a nasty habit ice and snow build-up on the metal frames and then became a pain in the a to walk in. Can't say I know that for sure though as I've never used them but that was the advise I was given.

Remington
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Go with wood. I do a lot of coyote hunting and have found wood to be the best. If you look after them they will last a long time I have a pair that are 25+ years old and this summer will be the first time I will have to get them reworked. I treat mine every summer with marine varnish (Ojibwe is one of the syles I use.) Check out the neighbourhood antique stores to see if you can find a pair. You may get a good set of harnesses that way. Good luck, great excercise, take care.

BlueDevil
07-03-2010, 11:16 AM
My dad actually found me a pair of snowshoes for a decent price $40 we've been looking around off and on for the past few months. I can't wait to give them a try this winter!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2010%20Varmint%20and%20Predator%20Pics/Snowshoe003.jpg

The Baron of Bufflehead
07-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I've got an "old fashioned" set of snow shoes just like that. They work great but I recall having a little trouble with the toes of my boots getting caught up under the front of the toe opening and I had to get my leather binding adjusted just right to avoid it. But I wear a size 13 which is really a big winter boot. Anyway, I like the old style and $40 is a good price!:TT:

kirsch
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm still hoping there won't be snow this year :). I know that is wishful thinking but after the last 2 winters we have had in ND, I am about done with the cold and snow.

BlueDevil
07-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Hahaha I'm with you too Kirsch! It's been raining lots up here. Now that I bought snowshoes we're going to have a dry winter, LOL!