PDA

View Full Version : fav load

Road Runner
02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
OK fellas whats your fav .22-250 load? Hand load or off the shelf. Ive only ran the 45 grain Winchester JHP through my rifle so far (without complaint I might add) so I cant add much input.

kirsch
02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
My favorite load is:
Berger 50 grain target match hp
36.0 gr Varget powder
Federal 210M primer

another is:
Same load as above but 35.6 grains of IMR 4064.

* Be careful shooting anyone else's load. The 4064 load was the first load I had used where I could shoot the same hole on a regular basis. I have been able to reproduce with the Varget load every time I have tried it so far. Hard to measure spread when you keep shooting the same hole. The load shoots much better than I can shoot. To me factory vs handloads aren't close. With time, you can always improve on a factory load, but it can take time and for the random shooter, close is fine. Some guns will shoot just about everything and some will not. An example is a buddy knows how much I love Berger bullets, so he got some for his .243 and they do not group in his rifle but other bullets are fine. More options to play with handloading.

BlueDevil
02-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I haven't gotten into handloading the 22.250 so I'm currently shooting the 45gr JHP Winchester bulk economy box. They seem to do all right. I also don't mind the Hornady 55gr V-Max moly as well.