View Full Version : fav load

Road Runner
02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
OK fellas whats your fav .22-250 load? Hand load or off the shelf. Ive only ran the 45 grain Winchester JHP through my rifle so far (without complaint I might add) so I cant add much input.

02-21-2010, 01:55 PM
My favorite load is:
Berger 50 grain target match hp
36.0 gr Varget powder
Federal 210M primer

another is:
Same load as above but 35.6 grains of IMR 4064.

* Be careful shooting anyone else's load. The 4064 load was the first load I had used where I could shoot the same hole on a regular basis. I have been able to reproduce with the Varget load every time I have tried it so far. Hard to measure spread when you keep shooting the same hole. The load shoots much better than I can shoot. To me factory vs handloads aren't close. With time, you can always improve on a factory load, but it can take time and for the random shooter, close is fine. Some guns will shoot just about everything and some will not. An example is a buddy knows how much I love Berger bullets, so he got some for his .243 and they do not group in his rifle but other bullets are fine. More options to play with handloading.

02-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I haven't gotten into handloading the 22.250 so I'm currently shooting the 45gr JHP Winchester bulk economy box. They seem to do all right. I also don't mind the Hornady 55gr V-Max moly as well.