PDA

View Full Version : Yotes

Cut-um
06-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Kinda quiet here, is this the time you lay off the Dogs???:hs:

The Baron of Bufflehead
06-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I don't chase 'em until September at the earliest. It's haying time here and so a good time to see them out mousing in the fields, but I hate the thought of killing a mom and having her pups starve. Plus I'm not one for hunting in hot weather!

Flipper
06-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I saw 3 pups at the airport this week.

Cut-um
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Pardon my ignorance T-BOB, still new to this game...:TT:

The Baron of Bufflehead
06-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Well that's only my preference. Some guys shoot them year round, especially landowners who hate them and want them eradicated! It's good you're thinking about coyotes Rich because I am too so I guess we've both got it bad.:rf: I've got a new .17 Remington on the way. Will post pics when it arrives.:D

I know kirsch is around... I'll be interrogating you for info on the .17 soon Korey.;)

BlueDevil
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I haven't been out at all been quite a busy year for me doing other things. On a hunting related story though I just purchased a custom deployment bag for my Mighty Atom the other day, I'm pretty stoked to try that out in the fall. :TT:

Cut-um
06-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been pretty lazy putting together that 22-250 I bought Christmas before last. I have the gun, scope, bi-pod, rings and have to pick up the scope base from my buddy, didn't like the one piece so he ordered the two piece. I just hate going into New Orleans on a week day to pick it up from his store.:mad: I guess you can tell I'm happy to move from there. Maybe I should just have him mail it to me...:rf::hest::rf:

kirsch
06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
I hunted later than I ever have this year. I hunted one time in April, once again in May and early June. Every time out we called in and killed at least one coyote. We had to change our sounds to get them to commit but we did get coyotes. Early June was the last time but I am sure we could kill them right now. We didn't hunt by dens and every coyote we shot was a male (which we assumed they would be). The mosquitos are just too bad and the weather is so hot. Typically late March or early April is the latest I go but fur prices are crap and the winter weather was horrible, so I thought I would give it a try. I would say hunting was as good or maybe almost better than other times of the year.

Baron, I still love my .17 Rem and it has killed hundreds of coyotes for me. When one of my sponsors, Thompson Center, sent me their new Precision Hunter in 22-250, I put it through the test. It shoots unbelievably so my .17 is on vacation for awhile. I don't like to put loads on the net, but I shoot 25 grain Berger Match Hollow Points in my .17 Rem. Don't get the Varmint (MEF) style or you will not not be happy. Some guys swear by the 30 grains but I have never shot them. I am shooting moly coated Bergers and they don't make them anymore in the 25 grain match so I bought a store out of that bullet to keep me in them as long as I want to. Non moly are fine but my gun loves the moly loads. Here is my current load but since I am using Moly, they might be a bit hot, but start less and work your way up.

Bullets: Berger Match 25 grain hollow points
Powder: IMR 4895 - 22.8 grains
Primer: Remington 7 1/2

I was shooting 23.8 grains and Walt Berger sent me some load data for some other calibers so I asked him to include some .17 loads. It showed I was way on the high side of his charts. I never had problems with 23.8, but 22.8 shot well also so I decided to slow down the load a bit. I didn't get quite as many bang-flops this year, so I might have to pick the speed back up again.

You don't hear a lot about IMR 4895 for .17 Rems. I love Varget in my 22-250 but it gave me very erratic results in my .17. I would put 3-4 bullets in a tight group and then get a flyer and it even keyholed once in awhile. I tested this with 6 different loads and 3 loads with Varget and 3 with IMR 4895. I didn't know what I was shooting to make sure it wasn't me and every Varget load had 1 or more floaters/drifters and none of my IMR 4895 loads did. Vmaxs shot well, but you will get way too many splashes with it.

Get a 25 grain .17 hollow point up between 3900 and 4100 fps and hit them anywhere close to the vitals and the coyote will drop on the spot. You should be effective to just about 300 yards consistently if it isn't too windy.

Let me know if you need anything else.

The Baron of Bufflehead
06-28-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm planning to try 25gr. Hornady and Bergers. Thanks for the tip on non-MEF Bergers, Korey! I might have made that mistake.

My .204 shoots BL(C)-2 excellent so I'll start there with my .17 and with any luck it will like the same powder so I can keep it simple. I have a little Varget left too so that will be choice #2 as it seems to offer best velocity. I've been doing a little reading about the brand new IMR 8208 XBR from Hodgdon, so if I can find that I might give it a try too. Always fun to try new stuff!

kirsch
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Baron, I have been hearing rumors Berger's 204 isn't a match but a varmint version as well. I didn't shoot a .204 for long and the Bergers did the best job of any bullet I found. I still didn't think the hits were as devastating as the .17 Rem which ballistically doesn't make any sense but if they really don't have a match hp for the .204, it may have been the reason. The opening on the end seemed a bit wide when I loaded them up. Anyway, I have just heard way too many horror stories on both the .17 Rem and the .204 when using any type of ballistic tip/rapid expansion type varmint bullets. I witnessed a little bit of it, but thankfully switched on my .17 early enough so I didn't get fed up and get rid of the gun. I won't even shoot rapid expansion ammo in my 22-250 any longer for coyotes either.

As far as powder, I think you are on the right track. If you have a few powders that can work for a caliber, then try to stick with them so you don't have to have tons of powder around. This is one of the reasons I started with IMR 4895 and Varget as I was using them on other loads for different calibers. Good luck and I want to see pictures of that first coyote you shoot. You will have to look to find a blood spot (if you can see one at all) and the coyote should just fall asleep right there in field.

Ruff
07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
I got this one back in May. 34 lb. Male. It came into my turkey decoy and calling. I have had this happen enough times that I'm going to try it this fall to change up from what other callers are doing in the area. 3 1/2" load of #5 plated shot at 24 paces. :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/529/medium/DSC01249_1_.JPG

kirsch
07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ruff,

Way to go. I have also had coyotes jump my goose spreads on numerous occassions. Some I have seen coming and blasted and some scared me as much as I scared them when they hit a decoy and I heard a decoy get thumped. Boy you should see them take off when they taste plastic vs goose.

I had the same idea as you and tried on a few occassions to give my best goose in distress sounds during the winter to no eval but your turkey idea just may work. If it sounds like something they will eat, it is worth a shot but I never gave it enough time on the goose distress. I have seen coyotes come to animal distress sounds of animals that aren't found within 1000 miles and they still work so I am sure your idea will as well.

Ruff
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I just figured that it was not an oddity that it happened. As it's happened a lot and momma didn't raise no dummy to put things together and try it out purposely and see. Where I live hound hunting yotes is big but there are areas that the houndsmen avoid like the small tracts of private land and areas that wolves have moved in.
Wolves move the song dogs out but if you find the edges of territories it can be decent hunting. Just have to know the difference between a wolf and a yote when you’re looking at them in the cross hairs. Opps is not an excuse in WI. LOL!

The Yote in the picture was full of tics. If you look at the eye in the picture you can see the one engulfed on it and there was another one right there with that one just not quite as large. Another draw back to hunting warm weather Coyote. BUGS!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement that you give. Barron also!