PDA

View Full Version : Kickin' it off with a couple of firsts

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I had a couple of firsts today... first critter for my .17 Remington and first coyote I've ever called with a hand call - I am very happy with myself on that latter point. I sold my FoxPro FX3 to a buddy yesterday with a mind to get a Fury. But we have weather pushing in today so I thought it would be a good time to go out and call, even though I had to go "old school" with hand calls. Nothing showed in the first couple spots, then I snuck into my 3rd spot and blew the first 30-40 seconds of tortured bunny on my Dan Thompson PC2. Not 30 seconds later, I'm looking directly cross-wind at the edge of the field and I notice a very small white thing that looks out of place. A couple seconds later it moves and turns out to be a coyotes ear and she is standing right at the edge of the field facing me, where a small trail comes out. I settle in and she turns quartering to me and takes a few steps toward the downwind (right) before the 25gr. Rem factory ammo results in a DRT at 150 yards - pretty impressive for such a teeny little bullet. She's a big female - 38.5 pounds on the fish scale. Surprisingly, I got an exit just behind the opposite leg but not too messy at all. Since #1 was down in less than 2 minutes from when I parked my butt, I kept calling for 5 minutes but didn't see any other customers. First one for this season and only my 3rd stand with a hand call... maybe I don't need a new e-caller after all.:rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/10-12-502.jpg

BlueDevil
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey Baron!

Congratulations on the firsts!!!!!! That coyote looks really good. Glad to hear you put it down hard!!! I haven't really gone out yet, just finishing up deer season got a bunch of tags left and haven't even shot at a deer. Hopefully tomorrow we get something for the freezer. Awesome job Rob, keep pilin' them up!!!!

jimfaststeel
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Great job, Congrats!! That's a fine looking yote.

Cut-um
12-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Well done T-BOB!!!:hest:

Bardern
12-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm a little late on the congrats Rob but anyways great job on the calling and using the .17!

Did you run a decoy of any type?

I have had the same deal with all the dogs I have called in by mouth, every time they come out the coyote is staring me down. You have to be on your game to see them before you get busted.

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I wasn't using a decoy, but I am going to get one (I had a wiggly bunny but it is MIA). I think a good motion decoy really helps get their attention off of the hunter and pull them out of cover.

Cut-um
12-15-2010, 11:10 PM
T-BOB, talked to Joe the other day and he's talking plenty of turkeys and pigs this year with a good hatch...:TT: I think we should toss in some song dogs into the mix. I'll bring the M-4 again so you and Beer Caller can play with a foreign object. I plan on having my 22-250 ready to play.:hest:

Don't worry about "Beer Caller", I'm sure he's in for it...:TT:

Joe, what about the crappie at that time, hit or miss???:hs:

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm thinkin' I'm definitely in on some April action in ole Okie.:D It's been a rough year and I sure could use a vacation with the boys. Mud bugs, gobblers, coyotes, watchin' Rat Dog diggin' under the wood pile... good times.:rf:

kirsch
12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Baron, great job on the coyote. It looks like a very nice pelt. Even better job registering your first coyote with the .17 Rem. They really can flatten a coyote with the right load, hardly any recoil, and little noise. I haven't used Rem factory loads, but as we have talked about in the past, try some Berger 25s or 30s and watch the fun. Make sure they are not the Varmint bullets but Match HPs. They really are devastating to coyotes.

As far as hand calling, it can really work well. Right now in ND, coyotes aren't responding well to prey distress. I was out last Saturday and we got 5 coyotes and could have had 7 if we weren't filming. We had 2 triples come in and got doubles on both stands and one single on another stand. If one of us wasn't filming, we would have easily had 2 triples. Ironically, only 1 coyote of 7 came in on distress as all the rest came in using various coyote vocalizations. Our winter has been tough so distress should be working but it just hasn't been. I haven't had a killer year but am at 16 and only 1 of the 16 came on prey distress.

Full moon is about here, so hopefully some clear nights, so I can get out and get some night coyotes. The forecast is calling for cloudy nights but might catch a break. Full moon, clear skies, and new snow means great visibility and great hunting.

DANE-G-RUSS
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Beauty looking dog there Baron. Congrats.
A nice way to start off the winter.

DrBob
01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
That's a nice looking dog, many of the ones I see look ratty.

Benelli
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Nice dog. Slow around here seen a couple fox but no coyotes. Not really responding too distress calls here either.