PDA

View Full Version : The Brutality of it All

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Sorry for the long post, but I figured it's time to share some coyote stories again. No pics with these stories though.:(

Since whackin' my first with the .17 Rem, I've called a few more. Had one come out at 300 yards and would not come a step closer. Couldn't shoot when he was standing broadside because of a power line running across the field was directly in line with his chest (power line runs through the low spot and he was on the far hill). Anyway, ended up having to take a last-chance shot at 300 yards, give or take, and missed. I could live with that, if it weren't for the fact that I checked my rifle at the range and for some inexplicable reason it was shooting about 6-7" low and right at 200 yards (was sighted dead-on at 200). So I chalked that up to the "that sucks" category, re-sighted the .17 and got back at it. A few hunts later I stood up to leave a stand and caught a glimpse of a coyote ducking back into some scrub behind me. He was in a tiny (like 1 acre) patch of scrub right by my truck. Anyway, I got on the sticks and laid on the hurt pup whines with the call and managed to get him to stop in an opening for me. 190 yards facing me, nice and steady on his throat and... miss.:up: I'm no bench-rest shooter, but I can aim a rifle straight so now I'm thinking "what the @%^*!". I head over to a buddy's farm and setup a piece of paper and find my .17 is now shooting 3" right at 100 yards.:hs: I checked all the screws on rings and bses - all good. So off to the range... again... and I tried an experiment. I turned the power on my scope up and down about a dozen times and sure enough the point of impact shifted about 2" at 100 yards. Not exactly what I expected from a Zeiss scope, but glad I found the problem even though it's now it's cost me 2 coyotes and they are not that easy to get. Oh well... shrug it off.

So now I decide it's time to stow for a bit the .17 and get back on the horse, as they say. The weather yesterday was perfect (I think) for calling - light but steady wind, sunny but a storm coming for overnight. So I loaded up old faithful (my Rem 700 LVSF in .204) and my new Mojo Puppy decoy and hit the road after breakfast. First stand, a coyote comes running across a little grass field and heads right to the downwind side of the decoy, as I expected. It comes right up the edge of the field and pops out 50 yards away from me, broadside. Everything has gone exactly as planned so I was ready. The coyote trots out and stops - the x-hairs steady on its ribs and I'm happy to get the monkey off my back with this chip-shot. Nice trigger squeeze and... CLICK! I quietly slipped another round in, but the coyote had already ducked into the long grass and gone. I tried coaxing it back and stayed another 15 minutes but the opportunity was gone. I've reloaded and shot many hundreds, if not thousands of rounds but never had a bad primer until today. I tried to fire that round 2-3 times and no go. Put a different round in and it went bang. I guess it was that coyotes lucky day?

Well, turns out that's not exactly accurate - it was my UNLUCKY day. I head to my next spot and when I lean over the put down my padded seat a branch bumped the butt of my rifle and it slipped off my shoulder before I could grab it. It hit hard right on the muzzle on a rock and friggin' destroyed the muzzle crown!:eek: I pulled the plug and went to the range, sure enough it was way off and my 3/4" shootin' .204 is now a 4" gun as the crown is really banged up. So, that gun has to go off the gunsmith for recrowning and I can only hope that it's accuracy can be restored and I don't have to go through load development all over again.

I've now swapped scopes and got the .17 Rem all dialed up and back into the pole position. I'm almost afraid to "get back on the horse" now, in case the SOB kicks me in the head again.:rf: I guess all I can do is laugh.

StrikeMojo
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Sometimes you gotta chose between crying or laughing at the situation. Good job staying positive, and go wack some song dogs! Good luck!

Cut-um
01-04-2011, 07:16 PM
That sucks T-BOB, sometimes your the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.:bh: There's always next trip buddy...:TT: Oh and don't bring that bad mojo to Oklahoma in the spring.:NW:

Bones
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Baron - at least it can't get worse........can it?

Bardern
01-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Well Rob bright side is that at least you have the time to get out after a couple of pretty lean winters.

kirsch
01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow, Baron that is some tough luck. I had a scope that wouldn't hold zero as well back about 10+ years ago and it drove me nuts. Thank goodness it is now gone. I haven't ever really damaged a barrel crown that I am aware of but often wondered why it doesn't happen more with how much abuse they take.

Hopefully, you have all the bad stuff out of the way so you can enjoy some of good stuff.

Keep Trying.

gooseaholic
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Baron,

That SUCKS! Hopefully the switch will prove to be the thing that gets your mojo back.

Cut-um
01-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Mrs. Baron, we need to know if T-Bob gets his MOJO back or is he just stuck with us...:up: