PDA

View Full Version : What's the BEST??

jhartwig24
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok, I am just starting to get into coyote hunting. I have went out a few times here and there in the years past, and shot a few while deer hunting also. But I want to really get into it hardcore. I want to know what is the BEST of the BEST.....I'm talking calls, rifles, ammo, decoys, scopes and anything that has to do with coyote hunting! Tell me what you use and why it's the BEST!

Keep in mind, I'm not a millionaire, so I can't afford a rifle that costs thousands, but on marginal salerie, what is the BEST value of everything?

Also, if you can tell me what type of calling works best for you...whether it be rabbit distress or howling...what works best during certain situations? Describe your perfect setup, and tell me some stories about your best hunts! I would love to here 'em.

Thanks guys, Jake

doublereed
02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm just looking to get into it myself. I bought a FoxPro FireStorm e-caller and a Savage 22-250 rifle. I went with the 22-250 thinking it's flatter shooting and adds about 100 yards to the .223 but the ammo costs twice as much so I don't know if I'd make the same choice again. .223 ammo is about .50 a shot and 22-250 is about $1 a shot for average quality ammo.

I like the FireStorm so far but I also have some Buck Gardner mouth calls. Yeah their probably not the best that's out there for predator calls but they'll get you going in a cost efficient manner.

I don't think Watertown is all that far away from me so maybe we could meet up in the middle land sometime if you're interested.

Brad

-----------------

I forgot to add the scope info. I have a Pentax 3-15x 50mm scope which has been pretty decent.

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-12-2011, 06:44 AM
IMHO... best rifle for the money is a Stevens 200. Get one in .223 or .22-250 and you won't be sorry. Plop a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x on it and you've got a great shootin' rifle and decent glass for under $500. Pickup some kind of motion decoy (I have a new Mojo Puppy now and really like it) and grab a used FoxPro FX3 off ebay or something like that for a good deal and hit the field. All in and killin' coyotes for maybe $700-$800 and you can sell it all off for not much less if you want to upgrade later.

Or, you can buy a Kimber 84M Montana in .204, drop a Zeiss on it and then pickup a Wildlife Technologies caller. All in for about $3500 and you won't kill any more coyote with it than the cheaper option.

kirsch
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
What you spend isn't as important as what you do in the field. You can kill a lot of coyotes with average equipment if you set up right and know what you are doing. However, you will kill very few coyotes with great equipment if your set up or approach is wrong. I agree the 22-250 would be my first choice for a gun. A lot of folks have moved to AR style rifles but I still shoot bolt. Nikon, Burris, Leupold all make nice moderate range scopes. I am very opinionated on callers, but handcalls work very well as well as electronic callers. Electronics tend to be easier for beginners because they can howl and do more sounds even if they don't know what they are doing yet.

Get some good coyote DVDs, watch very closely what they do, and better yet ask around to find out who is one of the best coyote killers in your area and see if you can tag along a few times. You will learn far more by watching an expert and it will cut your learning time down drastically. You will find there are very subtle things they do differently but it is the little things that seperate the guys who get a few coyotes a year and the person who kills coyotes almost every time out.