PDA

View Full Version : So You Want To Be A Predator Caller by Tony Tebbe

BlueDevil
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Awesome Awesome Awesome instructional coyote DVD (2-disc) I recently picked up and just finished watching tonight. Very thorough and informative and would highly recommend especially for people just starting out. He goes through a bunch of stuff like scouting, calling/hunting equipment, rifles/shotguns, stands etc. just to name a few.

You can just do a Google search and find his website/info. Just thought I'd pass it along!!!!! Well worth the investment!!!! :pl:

kirsch
07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Tony is a standup guy. He has an incredible decoy dog as well. I haven't watched this video but Tony knows how to hunt coyotes. He tied for 1st in the world coyote calling championships along with partner Kerry Carver. They missed winning as they tied for total numbers but checked in 3 minutes later. Both are call manufacturers, coyote guides, and create coyote DVDs and both know how to kill coyotes.

Tony and Kerry used the GPS maps that I create commercially to help scout their areas before hunting and used them to take them to the calling locations during the championships so I have spoken to them on the phone many times. BlueDevil glad you liked his video. Next time I talk to Tony, I will pass along your comments.

BlueDevil
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey Korey!

You should check out Tony's video, he mentions something about your maps he was using, hehehe. I think that's how I cam across your website? I didn't know you actually did that! :) I've actually ordered several calls from Kerry, I have a set of his rubber calls on their way as we speak plus I've added a few nice ones from his website, haven't taken any pics yet. I think predator calls are more addicting than goose calls since they are a 1/4 of the price. My pride and joy predator call coming is made by a guy named Brad Gainey I can't wait for that one to get here. Kerry and Tony for sure know how to put dogs down and seem to be both a great bunch of guys (the wealth of information they share on some of the predator forums is unmatched!). Tony is getting out of the custom call making end of things and is having a sale on a lot of extra blanks of wood and what have you. I think he said he's still going to be carrying his production line of calls (currently sold out) as well as support/warranty on calls he's sold in the past.

How is your summer going? Is it flooded in your neck of the woods?

kirsch
07-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Yes, it is flooded around most of ND. Many rural, county and township roads are under water. I actually bought a Polaris Ranger this year to help get around as well as help with the snow removal assuming the trend continues with too much water including too much snow which has happened the last 3 years. Sounds like the extra moisture is a common trend in the North and they are dry and hot in the South. Same situation with too much water for you as well?

I haven't talked to Tony in a few months but it isn't a surprise he or anyone else is getting out of the custom call game especially for predator calls. It takes so much time to create anything custom and rarely can a person charge enough money to make up for that time. I get requests for creating custom GPS maps all the time as well and when I tell people how long it would take and what the price would be, it typically scares them off.

I have a lot of calls from Kerry. They are nice calls and typically very easy to blow.

BlueDevil
07-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Yes, it is flooded around most of ND. Many rural, county and township roads are under water. I actually bought a Polaris Ranger this year to help get around as well as help with the snow removal assuming the trend continues with too much water including too much snow which has happened the last 3 years. Sounds like the extra moisture is a common trend in the North and they are dry and hot in the South. Same situation with too much water for you as well?

I haven't talked to Tony in a few months but it isn't a surprise he or anyone else is getting out of the custom call game especially for predator calls. It takes so much time to create anything custom and rarely can a person charge enough money to make up for that time. I get requests for creating custom GPS maps all the time as well and when I tell people how long it would take and what the price would be, it typically scares them off.

I have a lot of calls from Kerry. They are nice calls and typically very easy to blow.

No we don't have the water like south Sask. has. We have some small/big sloughs and what not and the Sask River is quite high but nothing like the devastation in the south.

I am thinking of getting some kind of electronic decoy, what would you recommend?

kirsch
08-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I have tried a number of them. Whatever the decoy is, it really should move if you are trying to draw the coyote in. From my experience and what I have read, coyotes really can't decipher things that stand still and thus the reason, you can't move when they are looking at you or you are busted. Their eye sight is triggered by movement. Decoys that stand perfectly still probably won't really cause much of a reaction from a coyote one way or the other. I have heard some good things about the mojo critter decoy but haven't used that one personally. It has to be something fairly easy to carry in, be seen from quite a ways, etc.

There seems to be 2 things that can happen a lot with decoys. Many of the coyotes will just take off and charge the decoy. This is great if you have a shotgun handy but can be really tough with a rifle at times. I have also seen coyotes totally spook by the movement. It hasn't happened a lot but I have seen it. Also, coyotes that would be coming in seem to come in with or without the decoy.

Here is my .02. A decoy has a time and a place. If you are trying to draw a coyote into a spot that they normally wouldn't go, or trying to get the attention away from you, these are all good potential times to use one. However, most of the time if I am using an electronic call anyway, and I can set the stand up in such a way that the coyote will end up where I want them anyway. If handcalling, it is nice to get the attention away from you, but then a person is exposing themselves to put the decoy out which is one of the advantages of hand calling instead of electronics, so it is a balancing act. You can see by my wishy-washy answer that I am torn on the subject. More times than not, I will not use one, but if you want to carry a shotgun in the field and want the coyotes to come hard, they can be a good tool to really get coyotes to come in hard vs the standard steady approach. A lot depends on your hunting style, calling preference, and even terrain.

BlueDevil
08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your input Kirsch greatly appreciated. That actually is one reason why I'd like to get a decoy is to bring them into shotgun range. I have access on a buddy's farm that is a pasture which runs along a river system and there are tons of coyotes. The issue is it's in a shotgun/muzzleloader zone and centerfire is not allowed so I'd have to take the coyote closer.

I wanted to get more into hand calling as well. I feel I shouldn't just solely rely on an electronic caller but be versatile and be able to run a handball if need be.

Mark