PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes, Coyotes, Coyotes

kirsch
11-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Bare with me through this long story. I was heading to the place I grew up in Central ND for a long Thanskgiving weekend. It has been unseasonably warm and NO snow yet which is also unusual for ND. The forecast looked good for Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Wednesday rolled around and the forecast was right on. The first two stands of the morning produced 2 single coyotes, all came to the call perfectly and both dropped dead on the spot. I then had some family activities to attend to and got one stand in the evening so I chose a spot that has had great action in the past. I ripped a howl loose and the entire area lit up with howls. Anticipation was really high when a single coyote came flying to the call. It stopped in range, and I dropped it. I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye, to see 3 coyotes retreating from the other direction. I quickly barked, and challenged them, and one coyote turned and came back and I shot that one almost on top of the first. This ended my first day with 4 coyotes down on the ground with minimal stands.

Friday looked promising but the forecast was wrong and strong winds slowed the action. I switched to pheasant hunting and bagged some birds and just before dark, the wind started to lay down. I talked my brother-in-law into going with me. As I was putting the call out, a coyote howled in the distance. It looked really promising, so I went straight to challenging this coyote and a few other's responded. Before we knew it, 4 coyotes were coming full throttle at us. I did my usual "Hey" yell at them and they didn't stop as usual. I went to use my electronic to bark at them, and it was acting odd and didn't want to work for some reason. I was waiting for my partner to shoot and finally one stopped and he didn't connect and then they were off and I really couldn't shoot as they had swung his way. Oh well, I don't like educating coyotes but at least he got a chance to really see how cool it can be with multiple coyotes almost running over you.

Saturday 40+mph winds shut everything down and it gave me a chance to be with family which is always a bonus.

Sunday morning rolled around (and I should have been in church) and the wind was totally calm. I get to my first calling location and put out the electronic and nothing. I looked at my remote and my low battery indicator was flashing. No!!! I was thinking this is what I get for skipping church. Oh well, I had a howler and distress call around my neck so I thought I might as well make good use of the stand. I hadn't blown the hand calls for more than 30 seconds and 2 coyotes appeared on the horizon. I coaxed them both in and shot the first and as the 2nd ran away barked and stopped him, and got my double. Things were looking up.

As I looked around seconds later, I noticed a pack of coyotes (appeared to be 5) about 3/4 mile away on top of a big hill watching me. They were far enough away, the shots didn't seem to alarm them. I continued to use howling, barks, and whinning hoping to bring them in. Eventually they all moved into about 600 yards. One finally released and came my way. I coaxed it into range and shot and dropped it. However, the other coyotes didn't seem too alarmed by the shot. I continued to call for several minutes and finally sat up to watch them as they were hard to see from my position. After calling for a bit and watching the coyotes reaction on top of the hill, I saw some motion to my left. A coyote was walking about 200 yards broadside of me. I waited for it to turn it's head, I laid down, and squeezed off what would have been an easy shot and nothing happened. Darn safety was on as the coyote had surprised me. Safety off, and it was gone. I was bummed as it would have been my first Quad on a stand where I was the only gunner. Oh well, I still had 3. I continued to call as there were still coyotes on the hill and that is when #4 showed up on a hill at about 150 yards. I rushed the shot a bit but had a good hit and the coyote ran off. I had a long track job on the 4th coyote which ate up most of the morning. I had a long walk back to the truck so excited for my first quad and thinking how it almost was a 5 spot.

The morning started off with me mad at myself for not realizing on Friday night my batteries were going dead and that is why I was having problems then, to using hand calls and shooting 4 coyotes on a single stand. It is still hard to believe all the coyotes stuck around but I was just fortunate they didn't all come at one time or I wouldn't have never gotten that many at least with my bolt gun.

It was a weekend to remember. I ended up with 8 coyotes on just a handful of stands. I shouldn't have missed church but at least it led to a lifelong experience. Sorry, I should have snapped some pictures but in the excitement of it all, I forgot. Thanks for bearing with my long story. It is nice to know I still can call in coyotes with hand calls.

GOOSKI
11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Nice read. I always wanted to give the coyotes a try. Sounds like it is fun.

kirsch
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Nice read. I always wanted to give the coyotes a try. Sounds like it is fun.

It is fun. I have been calling coyotes for 25+ years. Even after all this time, I have almost quit all other forms of hunting because hunting coyotes gives me the most satisfaction. It gets in your blood and your are hooked.

What I tell people who first start out, is don't get frustrated. They are a very smart and crafty animal and it isn't easy. Put in your time, learn as much as you can about the sport, and stick to it, and eventually it will start to come together. If you can find an experienced coyote hunter to tag along with, that is always the best option as they can help you move down the learning curve a lot faster. I will warn you that it is addicting.

BlueDevil
11-30-2011, 07:36 PM
It is fun. I have been calling coyotes for 25+ years. Even after all this time, I have almost quit all other forms of hunting because hunting coyotes gives me the most satisfaction. It gets in your blood and your are hooked.

What I tell people who first start out, is don't get frustrated. They are a very smart and crafty animal and it isn't easy. Put in your time, learn as much as you can about the sport, and stick to it, and eventually it will start to come together. If you can find an experienced coyote hunter to tag along with, that is always the best option as they can help you move down the learning curve a lot faster. I will warn you that it is addicting.

Awesome read Korey!!!! I for one totally agree with your above statement. I just started predator recently and boy am I hooked. Hooked to the point that I would rather shoot coyotes than deer (at the time of this writing it seems there are way more coyotes than deer here in Sask). Keep up the great work and don't get frustrated or discouraged out there keep at it!!!

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-02-2011, 02:26 AM
... It gets in your blood and your are hooked. ... I will warn you that it is addicting.

yup.:) I won't say I don't enjoy waterfowl hunting anymore, but I find coyote hunting much more challenging and rewarding.

That was one awesome weekend kirsch! Your success in 3 days is about equal to a good season here in Ontario!:rolleyes:

PS: I forgot to ask you Korey - are you still working with the .17 Remington?