PDA

View Full Version : A couple less fawn munchers

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-02-2011, 02:45 AM
We've been getting a lot of rain recently, but I have managed to get out in the woods a bit. Spent a few days deer hunting and we were under orders from the landowner to shoot any coyotes we saw, so when one of the drives pushed one to me I was happy to punch her ticket. The .358 Winchester and 200gr. Hornady soft point did the trick just fine. ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/11-11-08coyote.jpg

And here's just a nice pic from our first snow of the season (which has long since melted).
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/11-11-2302.jpg

On the last stand of the snow day I went to a buddy's place. I had never called there before and he said there are plenty of coyotes so come and get 'em. At 35 minutes on stand in I had been playing coyote pup distress a bit but my concentration was waning. I was looking down at the Foxpro remote or a few seconds deciding what to do next and when I looked up there was a pair of coyotes rushing the decoy about 40 yards from me. I got rattled and ended up punching two holes in nothing. :CL: I wish I'd had my shotgun for that encounter!

Last week I went out to one of my hot spots and after 35 minutes on stand this female came charging out to coyote pup distress. This is my first with the .223 WSSM and I can say that the 55gr. Ballistic tips at about 3800 fps are NOT fur friendly at all. :eek: Baseball sized entrance hole and no exit on a slight quartering to rib hit.

This is the 4th coyote I've shot in this spot and the first time I've called it this year.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/thebaron1/11-11-25coyote.jpg

Flipper
12-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Well done Sir!

kirsch
12-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Some guys love the ballistic tips, but I just haven't had much success at least not until you get up into the 24cal/6mm class or higher. Then it seems like there is enough mass to not get those nasty splashes. Keep killing them.

Bones
12-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Nice TBOB - how did you do with the Deer?
Bones

The Baron of Bufflehead
12-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice TBOB - how did you do with the Deer?
Bones

I got a glimpse of a nice buck, then the guy on the next watch shot it (one of our group and were were doing a "push").

We have a special 1 week muzzle loader season starting Monday and I'm planning to hunt the whole week. I have a good spot to go, so I'm really hoping to shoot a decent buck. Maybe I'll shoot my best buck ever - I'll have to beat a fork-horn to do that.:rof:

Cut-um
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Damn T-BOB, I would have thought with the .358 you'd be holding up half a dog. Maybe the other half of the Yote the camera doesn't show is gone..:rof::rf::rof:

So how do you like that .223 WSSM compared to a .22-250???:hs:

That second pic is a sweet set up with the right wind...:hest:

The Spank
12-17-2011, 05:28 PM
You're killing me here Rob! We can't even get one to come to the calls yet this year never mind hammer 4 already! Way to go...keep at them!!:)