PDA

View Full Version : Finally Connected!!!!!

BlueDevil
12-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey everyone!

It's been a tough going for me this winter, I've made it out to numerous sets and have had lots of responses and a couple of missed opportunities I know the coyotes are in this area I just needed to know which side they will be in.

I took my chances and left the city early enough to get some McD's on the way out, I highly recommend *NOT* getting the sausage and egg mcmuffin on a bisquit, I don't know why I thought they would be better tasting this time around, LOL. Anyhow I made it out to my spot by legal shooting time and it's a little bit of a walk to my spot from where I park my truck. I like to park it in this spot so others know that someone is in there (community pasture) and just walk in.

The wind was blowing quite hard today anywhere from 45km's to gusts of 65km's and when I got out there I figured I'd set up since I woke up and planned a hunt. I would rather get skunked trying than not making it out at all. Anyways I hauled my gear to my spot

Gear -

Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250
Wildlife Technologies MA-21 caller
backpack with basic essentials (ammo, snacks, rope, SPOT Messenger etc.)

It's a bit of a haul but it was nice as there was a little layer of fresh snow covering the old crunchy snow that has melted during the warm temps we've had in the last few weeks. My spot is a windmill surrounded my fence so cattle can't have their way with it so it offers decent cover.

I placed my caller about 40 yards away (upwind) pointed in the direction where I've heard coyotes in the past. I ran some communication howls for a few min's before switching to territorial/challenge sounds. I continuously ran my caller 5-7 min's before switching to my distress sounds. By then I was thinking nothing was around as I usually get some kind of response but I figured the wind may have played a huge role. I ran a rabbit in distress for about 10 min's (this was nearing about 30 min's total time and I was starting to think about packing up, I even stood up) when out in the distance I see a coyote come out of the woodwork. I slowly crouched and grabbed my gun and took aim and it sat there for a good 2 min's before moving when all of a sudden it seemed to back off and turn and start walking away, that's when I realized the wind had changed direction and got winded! I knew I needed to do something fast so I went from the rabbit in distress to a mouse/vole distress sound (I run my distress sounds a couple notches down, maybe 75%? but run my coyote sounds at 100%) and stopped and turned broadside. I rough estimated the coyote to be 200-250 yards and decided to take the shot, I hear a 'thump' and see the coyote drop and roll ended up having to shoot it again as the bullet pretty much destroyed the back end.

I paced it back to my spot and was 392 paces. Found my range finder in the truck and was able to get a reading of 319 yards before it died, gonna get another reading next time.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/bluedevil98/2011%20Predator%20Pics/700adda5.jpg

Sorry for the long winded message, started writing it this afternoon when I was dog tired now just sending and my story is all over the place, hahaha!

GOOSKI
01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice looking coyote. That coat looks nice and thick. I'm hoping to give it try this year. Thanks for posting.

WTRFWLR82
01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks for posting B.D.! I'm fairly new to the coyote hunting scene and really appreciated to time line you had posted here. That's always been a big question in my mind as to how long you run your caller before shutting down or switching sounds. I do realize every time is different but your story still gives some insight to this question. Thanks again and congrats on the kill!

-Ed

BlueDevil
01-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Thanks for posting B.D.! I'm fairly new to the coyote hunting scene and really appreciated to time line you had posted here. That's always been a big question in my mind as to how long you run your caller before shutting down or switching sounds. I do realize every time is different but your story still gives some insight to this question. Thanks again and congrats on the kill!

-Ed

Hi Ed,

There are many different schools of thought when it comes to calling coyotes. One video done by Bill Martz of Wildlife Technologies suggests locating coyotes the night before and hunting them in their home territory as they won't be as cautious as the coyote vocalizations are used to generate a territorial response once the coyote shows up he switches to a distress sound to bring them. While the whole time is running the caller pretty much continuously as he doesn't want the coyote to lose interest. This video isn't made of the highest quality but the information is pretty good about coyote behaviour it's more of a educational video than a hunting video.

Another video I'd recommend is Predator University's "So, You Want To Be A Predator Caller" by Tony Tebbe. It's a 2-dvd four hour instructional video on calling coyotes. Gets into everything from stand selection, scouting, guns, hand calls, electronic calls just to name a few. I haven't viewed any other instructional videos but these two are very good. This one focuses on all areas of coyote calling and the first one essentially shows you how to manipulate a coyote's behaviour.

Hope that helps!

Duckjunky
01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Nice shootin Tex I mean Bluedevil

WTRFWLR82
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Outstanding! Thank you very much for the info I'll be sure to check these videos out when I get the chance.

The Baron of Bufflehead
01-17-2012, 04:05 AM
Way to go BD! Hunting in that kind of wind sure makes it tough, and 320 is a long poke in those conditions, for sure.;)

Especially in the flat lands, you should always keep an eye on the downwind side. 99% of the time the coyotes will find a way to get there.

The Spank
01-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Good job BD!! Great story and man that is one sweet firearm you are poking them with!!

whytey
01-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Keep at it BD, you can't shoot enough.