PDA

View Full Version : What rifle scope to buy??

jhartwig24
02-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Guys, I just recently hunted in a coyote tourney, and we won. We won a new 22-250 rifle, and I want to buy a nice scope for it. It is going to be my go to gun for coyotes. What scope is the best to buy, and what have you had good/bad luck with? Thanks for the help.

I'm looking into Luepold and the Nikon Coyote special, but I would like to hear about ANY and ALL different scopes!!

WTRFWLR82
02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
I've had my Luepold 3-9 for the last 13 years and absolutely love it. It's held true after all sorts of bumps, jostles, transfers, etc. and is just as clear as the day I got it. Don't have any experience with Nikon other than my camera but if their scopes are anything like their cameras it will be worth the money too.

liljoe
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Everyone's eyes view things in a different manner. Buy the one that you personally like viewing through.

So - for the bang for the buck take a look through a Vortex and see what your eyes and wallet tell you.

Quacker-Wacker
02-08-2012, 04:14 AM
I've got the Nikon 4.5 X 14 Coyote on my .204 varmint rifle and love it. I've also heard good things about Vortex scopes but never used one. One of my favorite brand as of late is the Sightron line of scopes. As clear as any of the higher $ scopes in my opinion. That's what is going on my new rifle build.

jhartwig24
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I am really looking at the Leupold VX-III, but just dont know if it is worth the extra cash. I was also looking at the Redfield Revolution, but there are mixed reviews on that scope as well, but it costs less than 1/2 price of the Leupold scopes. I have also read reviews of the Nikon Coyote scope being very poor at holding zero? So, I'm just not sure exactly what I should look into. As far as Vortex goes, I noticed they have a HIGH end, and also a Diamondback model which is much cheaper, which of the Vortex scopes is the best bang for your buck?

Quacker-Wacker
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM
If looking at Leupold VX-III you should take a serious look at the Sightron Big Sky line. Awesome scopes. Love the exact tracking feature. Very repeatable settings. Check out this link.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/sightron-riflescopes-by-price-4.html

Duckjunky
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
LEUPOLD Jake you'll love it, they also have great customer service.

The Baron of Bufflehead
02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
If you buy a Leupold, stick with the VX3/VXIII level. I've had VXII's and they were fine, but not as good as I like. The Bushnell Elite 4200 series are also excellent (much better than the 3200's) and I own a Nikon Monarch as well. The Monarch is also a good scope, but I haven't spent much time with it to really test it out. I had a Zeiss Conquest that was awesome until it went wonky on me, which I don't think is common. I woud rank the optical quality of the VX-III, Elite 4200 and Conquest all about the same. I think I would put the Monarch just behind those, but not by much and then the Elite 3200 and VX-II are a definite step down. The Burris FFII are pretty darn decent scopes for the money and can stand right there with the 3200/VXII. After years of rifle shooting I only own VXIII's, 4200's and the one Monarch right now so you can draw your own conclusion on that (yes, I'm a scope snob!).

I have also heard good things about Vortex, but they are just coming into Canada in the past couple years so I have no first hand experience.

You can get higher quality optics for the same price if you stay down a bit in magnification - 3-9x is plenty for coyotes. I really like the 4.5-14x and 4-16x ranges but they always cost more than the same quality 3-9x so you can trim $100 or so off the cost with a 3-9x (or 3.5-10x in the Leupy).

Another way to get more scope for your money is to pick up a used one. With manufacturers like Leupold that offer transferrable, life-time warranty there can be lots of sense in stretching your dollars that way.

kirsch
02-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I haven't owned the real high end scopes but I have owned several VXIIIs, Burris Signature, Nikon Monarch, and a Nikon coyote special. I like LilJoe's answer and that is look through them all if possible before you buy. Of the scopes I mentioned, to me the Leupold, Burris and Monarch all seem to be about the same as far as low light quality. None of them have had an issue holding zero, and they all are great scopes. A lot of people can't believe it when I say this, but for me the eye relief is just tougher on the Leupold scope, and it isn't the mounting. Besides this for me, I can't say anything negative about them.

I have talked to numerous guys who have sent in both Leupold and Nikon and everyone seems to rave about the customer service for both, so I think they are both very good. The coyote special is an interesting scope. I believe they took the BuckMaster series, added the special coyote reticle, and put on the ARD cap at the end to help reduce glare and maybe tweeked a few other things. I don't keep the anti glare cover on mine, but it does look cool with it on :). It seems like people either love the reticle or hate it. I wasn't fond of that Predator BDC reticle to start with, but honestly I recently picked up an AR and it has a Monarch with standard crosshairs on it, and I wish I had the Predator BDC reticle on it. Once you get used to it, it is hard to go back.

Now, the coyote special has 92% light transmission and the Monarch has 95% light transmission, so the Monarch is a brighter scope. You can buy better scopes, but in my opinion they will cost you a lot more. I would vote for either the Coyote Special or a Monarch, but every scope mentioned throughout the thread is good.

BlueDevil
07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I just bought a Nikon Coyote Special in 4.5-14x40 (matte) for my Tikka .260 and have fired only a small handful of shots with it to mainly get on paper but so far I like what I see hopefully I can bag a few coyotes with this set up this year. :D