Flocknockers.com  

Go Back   Flocknockers.com > Main Goose Hunting Forums > Field Test Forum

Field Test Forum A place to post Field Test reports \"ONLY\" on those items offered for testing here on Flocknockers, and only by those who were picked to field test those items. All other posts will considered \"SPAM?\" and will be removed.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up My report for the DSD Honker giveaway

Well, I've been passing emails back and forth with Brad and Dave on what I found with the DSD Honkers, and since the season's over for me, I wanted to make sure I got a full report here. I'll probably forget some stuff, but you'll get the idea.

First off, HUGE thanks to Dave, Brad and the whole DSD crew for this offer. I only hope they get something useful from me to make their product even better. Thanks to Cliff, Debe and the whole crew for the site that made the giveaway possible, too.

Now to the meat and potatoes: First off, Brad was fast with the initial emails to me right after the giveaway ended, and a phone call from one coast to the other. Right off the bat I could tell these guys were serious about their hunting, which I could only hope translated to their product. I was having trouble deciding what pose decoys I wanted when Brad mentioned he could mix and match a box for me, but it might take him a bit longer to get it out. Our regular season was a while out so I was fine with that, and asked him for 3 feeders and the tucked head rester. The decoys arrived before our season opened, and Brad actually appologized for the delay in giving me free decoys! Now THAT'S service!

The outside packaging was a nice added touch. The box actually has a warning statement that the decoys can be hazardous to waterfowl. That was only the beginning, because the inside of the box was much better. Out of the box the decoys were unreal. They require very minimal assembly which was easy to do. We've all heard about the awesome paint on these dekes, but until you get them in your hand, you have no idea. The attention to detail is unbelieveable. The shape and texture of the decoy is the real story in my mind. Subtle contours for wings, or even that small bulge at the base of the neck are right on. The heads even have rolls of skin bunched up on them, and eyelids! Sure, some of this won't ever be seen by a goose, but its that level of detail that makes the difference between a great decoy and a real looking decoy.

I hunted them all season, and didn't exactly baby them. I did bag them in an Avery 4 slot bag, and later decided to double bag them with a plastic bag inside the 4 slot bag. Not because the paint was wearing on the decoy, but because the decoy was wearing holes in the bag. I'm sure it would have worn the decoy eventually, but I wasn't letting it get that far. The decoys just barely fit in the slots. The bag rode in the back of my truck, usually all week, and the decoys show very little wear to them. There are some small scuffs to the decoys, especially around the head where they were outside of the bag hitting all the other junk I take, but I'm talking a few spots less than 1/8th an inch. I did recommend to Dave and Brad that they use black plastic for the heads, which would make those small nicks impossible to see.

The movement is very subtle on the decoys, but very noticeable, even at long distances. I wouldn't recommend getting a 4 pack of these just to add some movement, but if you had a spread of them, the movement would be right on in my opinion. No unnatural wobble to the motion, no crazy spinning, just very natural movement that's easily adjustable. The decoys are also very stable. I never had a single one blow over and I hunted days in 35+ MPH winds that were blowing every other decoy, including shells on the ground.

Of course, I did have to mix these decoys in with others, and they worked extremely well in the kill hole. Most of the geese seemed to really key in on them and try to land around them, even when the wind shifted to where they weren't on the downwind side anymore.

I had great success when I'd put the DSDs around the hole with other dekes blended into the background to fill out the flock. I especially like filling the back of the flock with sillies. Gotta love the way sillies fill out a spread and really give a spread that big flock look.

I recommend bagging these, as they're a big investment you should protect. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it will keep them looking great for much longer. You buy any type of custom decoy because you want absolute realism, why not go the extra step to keep them looking as good as when you bought them?

I'll definitely be buying more of these decoys in the future. Unmatched product in a very competitive market coupled with the best customer service I've seen. Every email I've sent Brad and Dave has been responded to with enthusiasm and a ton of follow on questions. I'm not even a true customer yet, and they treat you like royalty. These guys are top knotch and provide a top knotch product.

I've offered some minor suggestions for improvements, and I'm sure the next wave of these decoys will be even better than the first!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM

A few pics to go along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsd2.jpg (51.4 KB, 1628 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 AM

My first Quill Lake goose, and a banded bird from an evening hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg band and quill small.jpg (31.8 KB, 1417 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 AM

1 bird shy of an AP limit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsds.jpg (68.7 KB, 1295 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:56 AM

Last one till I get some more developed, late season limit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsds.jpg (51.9 KB, 1388 views)