Flocknockers.com  

Go Back   Flocknockers.com > Main Goose Hunting Forums > Great Ideas & Posts Forum

Great Ideas & Posts Forum A Forum to view the the best of the best of our posts and ideas. Forum Topics can only be viewed by Forum Members

Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Tune your short reed goose call

I'm not an expert, but I do tune my own calls. A recent post made me think that maybe a little information could be used by some of the users here.

First, dont be afraid of your short reed! anything you do, can be fix(put back). It may require you to ship your call to someone for help, but hey, its the off season, now is the time to try it. Once you get it, you will be much better off, IMO. You will be able to Retune calls, and get more out of them. Some days birds just want something a little higher, or a little lower, and if you can do it yourself, you will be able to make those changes right in the field.

1- a short reed call has 5 parts. So everyone is on the same page, I will list them:
* The barrel- the big end. This is the end you blow into (pic on the left)
* The insert- the smaller end. Air comes out of this end. The insert is also where the "guts" of the call are. (pic on the right)
The guts are composed of three pieces (pic at the top center)
* the tone board- the biggest piece, it has a deep channel in 3/4 of it (pic on the bottom)
* the reed- the white, thin piece. This makes the sound. (pic middle)
* The wedge- the smallest piece, looks like a wedge (pic on the top)

First thing to do, before you take anything apart, is get a pen, and mark the reed. Just draw a line right across it, next to the wedge, and take a note as to how much reed is showing. taking a pic, measure, whatever so you know where you started, so you can get back to this point.

I would then, simply try to pull the guts out, and put them right back. dont make any changes(on purpose anyway). this will give you some confidence.

This is how I would try to hold the guts. you want to hold all three pieces at the same time, and allow room at the bottom so you can insert into the insert....

Now, to make changes. Look at your tone board. Many of them have a mark on them, where the "neutral" is. Look at the bottom of this toneboard, see the "line", the wedge meets this line on the top, this is "neutral" ...

To make your call, higher pitch, you want less reed showing. To do this move toneboard and reed down into the insert, and the wedge ends up infront of that starting line, or over the line.

To make your call deeper, you want more reed showing, wedge is behind the line

To take the guts out of the insert, twist the guts and pull. Do NOT use tools to get the guts out. If the guts are very tight, try freezing them, simply put the call in the freezer, and/or push the toneboard into the insert. Once they are all the way in, they normally come loose and you can dump them back out.

The reed should alway be right up to the tip of the channel in the tone board. If you take your guts out, always line up the tip of the reed first

You should be able to push the reed into the channel just slightly.
once you do this, then worry about the wedge placement, and then put it all back into the insert.

Something I like to do, put the wedge too far out, just slightly too far, this will make the call just a little too high pitched. Then, simply press the on just the wedge to make finial adjustments. This makes the call deeper, and the guts tighter all at the same time.

When your just learning, never worry about getting the guts into the insert very tight. they only need to be tight when you totally finished, and going to use the call.

Sorry about the blurry pics, hard to take them with one hand...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 PM

good stuff --- I agree --- now is the time to try to learn how to do this yourself. I did, and it saved me many times in the field etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Moderator Gun Rack & Atlantic FlyWay Forums

Great post K-Man! Every goose caller should learn this skill...it takes some time and some reeds but you can truly get any call to "fit" you.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the Flock!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKDIGGLER View Post
Great post K-Man! Every goose caller should learn this skill...
Yep, I love tinkering with my calls, doing different things, getting different sounds. It gives me one more goose hunting related thing to do in the off-season.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator- Young Guns , Atlantic FlyWay & Hunt/Fish/Trip Swap Forums

Very Nice Job explaining and showing!
I have always thought it interesting that some guys can strip there gun down and put it back together in the field blind folded but when it comes to a split reed or a call issue - get like they are doing brain surgery and are afraid to take it apart! It really is no different then field stripping your weapon and with the season basically over - now is the perfect time to tinker as if you somehow have an issue, you have plenty of time to work on it and....the major callmakers are typically slow this time of year so sending it back to them won't be a hassle as if it was the regular season!
Again - good Job!
Bones

Crawfish eating pro-staff

Can You?
Old 03-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Great info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 PM

I love tuning my own calls. Is that a brass banded SR-1?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgoosehunter13 View Post
I love tuning my own calls. Is that a brass banded SR-1?
Yea, why? Do you want it?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 AM

No. I just have never seen an Acrylic brass banded SR-1. Only a Birdseye Maple SR-1 Brass Band.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM

I have had it for several years. Never thought much about it, but every time someone sees it, they all drool. I keep asking people to buy it, but no one does, so Im not all sure its that big a deal.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 PM

It is! Your asking too much though. Birdseye Maple ones sell from 165 to 200. That's about the limit.