Flocknockers.com  

Go Back   Flocknockers.com > General Forums > Conservation Forum

Conservation Forum This forum is for Consevation discussion and to list fund raiseres and banquets for (IE) Delta, DU Local and State Conservation Groups. These groups "MUST" be Pro Hunting!!!

Old 02-19-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Floating Canada goose nest

I was wondering if anyone had any experence with floating goose nest. I was going to build the standard barrel nests but if the floating nest works better I would use it. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Moderaotr Atlantic Flyway & Conservation Forums

We've used the floaters up here w/ good success. Can't really say if one is better than the other, may depend on the area you plan on using it. ALso it depends on what materials you may have available.

Personally, in my imnd I would think the geese are more likely to take to floating goose nests(islands) as it is more like what they normally use on their traditional nesting grounds. But that is just my opinion, I haven't seen any literature saying one form is better than the other.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Moderator Canada's Giant Killers Forum

Just a quick 2 cents. We use the barrel model with predator guard to keep out snakes and otters. The barrel model also allows for drainage and if mounted a couple of feet above the water surface protects the nest from fluctuating water levels. If you go with a floating model make sure that you put it near some cover or emergent vegetation. In order to allow for fluctuating water level leave a couple of feet of rope or chain slack to the bottom weight. The major drawback is that it is more susceptible to predation and wind and wave action if in contact with the water's surface. Around here we have to keep the height of the nesting structure about 2 - 3 feet off the water or it will become to attractive to nesting ospreys. Good luck - STUB PS One other reason we use the barrels mounted on the steel poles is that they are impervious to ice damage and last easily 12 - 15 years with very little if any annual maintainance