Flocknockers.com  

Go Back   Flocknockers.com > Main Goose Hunting Forums > Flocknocker's Goose Roost

Flocknocker's Goose Roost "We\'re All About Geese" This is where we come to discuss the fine art of hunting geese, goose hunting equipment and tactics."NO SPAM ALLOWED"!!!!!

Old 09-18-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Quill Lake/Canadian Geese ?

Todd's post about Molt Migrants (Great Idea) got me thinking about the "Quill Lake Goose".

Personally, I really don't know a lot about this particular goose. Can some hunter(s) who do know, please explain to the rest of us what a Quill Lake goose really is?? Is it a Greater with some genetic flaw that causes the white patches, some sort of leucistism or an actual subspecies?? I know they don't come from Quill Lake, but are they named from that general area? Where do they breed, migrate to, known flyways they are in, and closest related specie too.

Looking forward to the education.....

I know there have been a few lucky Flocknockers that have killed a Quill Lake goose. Please post up your pictures of them and when and where they were killed...or if you have one mounted, I would like pictures of those as well.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:56 PM

I would also like to know more about these geese. I shot one about 7 years ago west of Kerney Ne. I haven't figured out how to get pictures to post but, I'm working on it. I was disapointed with the taxidermist. When I took the bird to him he had white patches on his feet (about half of his feet were white) as well it had white toenails. When I got it back it still had the white toenails but, he painted the feet black.

Last year was my last encounter with a quil lake goose I seen the ocaisional one here and there for about 2 weeks before but, could never get them to decoy.(could of sky busted one) Finally had a flock of 7 geese locked up and coming hard. The goose on the far west side was a quil lakke goose. I quit calling long enogh to tell the guy on the west end of the pit to make sure he got that one since I would have had to shoot over everyones head and when the smoke cleared there were 6 dead geese and one quil lake goose getting the hell out of dodge. I couldn't believe it. I said Mike I thought you were going to kill that bird and he tells me that he shot one that was closer. I shook my head and told him when they are 10yrds away they are all close. Sorry this got long but, I would like to know more abut them. Thanks Brad
Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 PM

After waiting almost a week for a response to my thread, I did some research all over the web learning what I could about this condition. Surprisingly there's very little information published about this condition on the web. So far this is what I've learned about the "Quill Lake Goose".

The "Quill Lake Goose" is not a separate subspecies. It is a genetic mutation that partially affects the birds pigment. It is certain that at least one parent is the carrier (heterozygous) for the albino gene. If both parents were carriers of the albino gene the odds of a true albino bird would be 1 in 4. Most common affects are large white patches (Lack of pigment) on the breast and belly with some or all white coloring on the primary, second and covert feathers on the wings. In more extreme cases it affects the neck, head and tail feathers from becomming black or the lack of. Most often it occurs in the Interior (or Central, or Hudson Bay, Todd’s) Canada Goose (B. c. interior) and Moffitt's. (or Western or Great Basin) Canada Goose (B. c. moffitti) The "Quill Lake" goose has been seen and killed in all the flyways. Most common in the Central Flyway and least in the Pacific. The origin of the name "Quill Lake" still has eluded me. My best guess is one of these geese with this form of genetic mutation was shot in or around Quill Lake, Saskatchewan. Quill Lake is known as the goose capital of the world. And a main destination for waterfowlers pursuing geese.

Typical, "Quill Lake" Goose

Another "Quill Lake" Goose

Leucism (dilution) Is a reduction in the intensity of ALL pigments. It is also a genetic flaw, but is sperate from the albino gene. It only takes one parrent to inherit his gene. This is not a "Quill Lake" goose. But another form of color variation.

"Leusitic" Goose

"Leusitic" Goose in flight

Any one of these condition is a true trophy. Either condition is extremely rare......
Old 09-22-2005, 07:40 AM

That bird would make a sweet mount!!
Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 AM

Post Quill Lake Canada's

It seem's like the past 4 or 5 years someone harvest's a Quill Lake Goose or two in my area. I haven't had the opportunity yet but if I get lucky the bird will deffinitly get mounted. That is if I don't blow it all ta hell.
I saw what I thought to be an albino in a large flock last year. They didn't decoy but it's entirely possible that the Goose was a Quill given it's smaller size.
Almost all the Quill's taken up there have been shot over water. Don't know if if there is any significance in the fact other than to say it's easier to decoy Geese over water than fields.
As in past year's, the ultimate for me will be to take a Quill or a Speck. One thing for sure...I'm going to be out there tryin'.

Murph
Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Moderator Central Flyway Forum, Team "Depends" Pro Staff & Lab Hater

HB -

Way to dig in and scratch around for info... your post for sure contains far more info than I was aware of on the "Quill Lake" Canada goose situation. Just for the heck of it, I did a FN search on the word "quill", and up popped a bunch of posts that may be of interest to you if you have not seen them, along with quite a few more pictures of partly white Canada geese.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks much for the lesson. Very Interesting. Good luck on your quest for a Quill Lake goose.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Quill Lake Canadas

Highball Great Pics ya posted. Shot one 2 seasons ago here in Ne. Very rare we see them here. Lynn
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM

Great job, well done...

Thanks for the update
Old 09-22-2005, 08:40 PM

great post highball!! We've probably shot a dozen or so quills the last couple of years and last year we got one almost exactly like the bird with the complete white head. We called it a quill but now we know that its a little different then a quill.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:18 AM

We have two different spots that we hunt on the platte river about 40 miles apart from each other. We have shot 5 quills in the latst 6 years (2 with in a week of each other) at the west blind close to Kearney NE. Our east blind by Grand Island gets hunted more and kills about twice as many geese each year and no quills. I have seen them with pink feet, white feet, the white cheek patch connected between their eyes, the leading edge of the wing being white. But most notably they all have a large white patch in the middle of their grey chest. This is what you can see so easily when they are decoying. We have had some mounted and they good but i think it Is hard for the taxidermist to get the feet the correct color as most of the pink/white fades out after they are frozen. I will try to get a picture posted of one of the mounts.

It seems to me that our west blind may be located in a "Minni Flyway" for quills. Or maybe it is just luck?

We have allways called these geese quill lake geese, i am not a wildlife biologist so i dont konw if that is correct.

I think a decent # of quills are shot in the Pierre SD area each year.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:43 AM

platteriverhunter, Pierre is where we shoot all of ours. It seems like whenever we get a really good cold snap the quills move in. They aren't very hard to pick out when they come in, they stick out like a sore thumb!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:57 AM

Yeah, its like they were born with a bullseye on their chest.

First one I ever shot was crippled and geting away down the river and i had to shoot it again. Messed it up to bad to mount. I was bummed out b/c I allways wanted one. The next year I was fortunate enough to kill two.